3-1 hole to much for Hawks?

Mr. Jones

Liked Posts:
This post season Blackhawks team has not had the sense of urgency and mental toughness compared to last years and recent ones before that. The 5 on 5 scoring has been the worst out of all the recent Hawks teams. If not for the successful PP run, 12 game winning streak a great season by Pannarin, Kane and Crawford playing so outstanding during the regular season, this unit may have missed the playoffs or barely squeezed in as just a WC qualifier for the post season. So far, this series has the Blues finally acting and playing like a team capable of making it past their first round opponent while the Hawks look tired, uninspired and very undisciplined..

They have been playing more like chumps instead of the champions that they are..If they are going to lose in the playoffs they should go down fighting with their dazzling hockey skills, mental toughness, dedication and overall solid TEAM play, that produced and EARNED them the title of champions and that made the Chicago Blackhawks franchise the envy of other NHL teams and their fans. This series is not over yet.
We have seen them come roaring back from deficits like the 3-1 hole they've currently put themselves in but THIS time it seems like they will have to play their 3 best games of the year starting Thursday down here in STL just to make it out of the first round series against a very determined and psyched up rival opponent who has so far shown that they are the team that is more focused and committed to winning the series then the Blackhawks.
There's alot riding on the current Blues teams shoulders. Not just knocking out their biggest division rival who happen to be the reigning NHL champs on their home ice in front of their fans, Thursday night, but rumblings of big changes because of too many 1 and dones and coach Hitchcocks and players jobs being on the line. The Blues are being counted on to repair the butt hurt St. Louis sports fans have been feeling lately.
The Rams sticking it to them and their city and leaving, and yes the Cubs knocking the Cardinals out last year AND getting stiffed by 2 players who bolted to the Cubs in the off season. For them this series is a must win not just for their hockey club and fans, but for their city and sports fans overall morale. I've heard this sentiment a lot from folks down here. A series win against the Hawks would probably be akin to unloading and relieving a bad case of..Blue balls for the region lol.
Perhaps the Blackhawks winning 3 Stanely Cups in 6 years has dulled the incentive out of their game. Perhaps all the grind of so many post games, other off season activities and hockey tournaments has caught up with Hawks players. Maybe losing quality core players like Oduya and Sharpe and others like Bickell regressing finally caught up to them I don't really know, but so far it is painfully obvious who the hungrier team is on the ice this series that has the most incentive to win and be heroes for their city. It ain't the Hawks.
I, of course would love for the Hawks to pull some more magic out of their hats and deflate the crap outta St. Louis again so I could be able to sport my newest and latest edition of Blackhawks Championship gear, but in order for that to be even remotely possible..they have to play like champions again..I guess we'll see on Thursday, GO HAWKS!!

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
You throw out a ton of intangibles like:

This post season Blackhawks team has not had the sense of urgency and mental toughness compared to last years and recent ones before that
They have been playing more like chumps instead of the champions that they are

they should go down fighting with their dazzling hockey skills, mental toughness, dedication and overall solid TEAM play,

But there are two quite tangible reasons why this team is in a 3-1 hole:

1) The defensive depth is not there this year
2) Toews and Kane have zero goals in this postseason

cubby chubby

Liked Posts:
I believe they might just be too big for their britches, one burger short of a happy meal, rode hard and put away wet, one floor short on the elevator of life, and otherwise missing the sump in sump in that got them over the hump the years they were able to call themselves NHL champions. I'm not giving up all hope, cause hockey is one fickle lady, but she might be fat and already in the chorus of the song she is known for.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's not over till its over. They can come back from this and have done it before.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They can...the question is will they.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
Certainly is going to be tough - but one game at a time and all of a sudden this can really be a series. It all starts tonight and I'm sure both teams will be ready.

Have to give credit to the Blues - I think a lot of people are seeing how good they are when healthy. They have stars, depth, defense, and a hot goalie - that's a hard combination to beat.

I'm just happy that this time around there isn't a "Fire Q, Bowman and everybody" type of thread like there was against the Wings a couple years back.

bears5150

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Me thinks this team is tired, too many runs the last 6 years is wearing on this core. The lack of defense is also noticeable. They can come back from 3-1 but I honestly don't think they will this team looks beaten you can see it in their eyes

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Me thinks this team is tired, too many runs the last 6 years is wearing on this core. The lack of defense is also noticeable. They can come back from 3-1 but I honestly don't think they will this team looks beaten you can see it in their eyes

I've had this thought as well. But they had an even shorter offseason following the 2013 Cup and made it to the WCF in 2014. Then they went all the way to the Cup again in 2015. It could certainly be part of the story, but I don't think it's that significant of a portion. Like you said, that lack of D has been killer.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
I've had this thought as well. But they had an even shorter offseason following the 2013 Cup and made it to the WCF in 2014. Then they went all the way to the Cup again in 2015. It could certainly be part of the story, but I don't think it's that significant of a portion. Like you said, that lack of D has been killer.

The Sharp trade has been an absolute bust. The Blackhawks counted on Daley and they failed big time there. They had other possibilities (Montreal mainly) that wouldn't have brought back that much cap space and they could have signed Oduya - but they felt like Daley was going to help a whole lot. That deal cost them Johns, the ability to sign Oduya, and dead cap space for next year. Oduya as a #4 and TVR as #5 would look pretty damn good right now and I'm sure everyone would be a whole lot more confident about the D all of a sudden.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What's happening right now is exactly what the NHL wants to happen. Even though it will cost them revenue by not having a major franchise like Chicago in it till the end. This is why the salary cap is in place....the rich don't get richer and two, three or four consecutive Cup dynasties are a thing of the past. This team is pretty well stocked as it is but just imagine what they'd be like is there were no cap. They would be in the middle of a run that would rival the Canadians in the 50s and 60s. It sucks for us but that's just the way it is.

Mr. Jones

Liked Posts:
The Sharp trade has been an absolute bust. The Blackhawks counted on Daley and they failed big time there. They had other possibilities (Montreal mainly) that wouldn't have brought back that much cap space and they could have signed Oduya - but they felt like Daley was going to help a whole lot. That deal cost them Johns, the ability to sign Oduya, and dead cap space for next year. Oduya as a #4 and TVR as #5 would look pretty damn good right now and I'm sure everyone would be a whole lot more confident about the D all of a sudden.
You would think that who ever came to the Hawks via trade would be grateful and happy as fck to be in a position to win a Stanley Cup Championship and work their asses off and elevate their game if just for that season to get there..

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
You would think that who ever came to the Hawks via trade would be grateful and happy as fck to be in a position to win a Stanley Cup Championship and work their asses off and elevate their game if just for that season to get there..

I don't think it had anything to do with being grateful or working hard. Daley just never got comfortable, never fit in, and maybe he just didn't get the chance he needed. He has looked a lot better with the Pens than he has with the Hawks.

Mattia

Liked Posts:
Also last year we played almost 2 defensive pairs in the post season...and it's still a problem

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, Kaner wasn't ready to go gentle into that great night. If any team can bounce back from a 3-1 deficit, Blackhawks can.