Game 5 IGT: Blackhawks @ Blues 4/21 at 8:30 p.m.

mikita's helmet

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You guys can make every excuse in the book for toews, the proof is still in the pudding. He isn't performing like he has in years prior -- that's a fact that can't be disputed. Not an opinion.

His stats for the last 3 seasons, except for a few less assists this year, are almost identical. Not a an opinion, but a fact.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
His stats for the last 3 seasons, except for a few less assists this year, are almost identical. Not a an opinion, but a fact.

So his performance this year is the lowest of the last 3 years, correct? Since we're being factual.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, his points this year have been way more streaky than years prior. He started off the season with what, like 14 games without a point?

Bottom line is this; it doesn't matter how you start, it matters how you finish. We need Toews to come alive. Hopefully it happens.

mikita's helmet

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So his performance this year is the lowest of the last 3 years, correct? Since we're being factual.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, his points this year have been way more streaky than years prior. He started off the season with what, like 14 games without a point?

Bottom line is this; it doesn't matter how you start, it matters how you finish. We need Toews to come alive. Hopefully it happens.

As I noted in earlier posts, playing with a rotating cast on left-wing and an aging and often injured Hossa on right-wing this year, and he had the same amount of goals this year as the last two and 8 assists less than last year.

He always starts slow every season (hopefully, you're aware of that).

His play last night was great, as I explained in an earlier post, and many commentators following the playoffs agree. It's not all about numbers. We lose game two, also if his face-off skills don't get the puck back to Keith for the goal at the end of the second period.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Reminds me of certain people saying Seabrook is "declining" is he declining or has he been put into tougher situations lately. This whole year he mainly for the first large stretch had to carry a line, and they weren't against easy opponents. Him and Svedberg for awhile or Gus after that were a pair that also weren't taking the weakest opponents. Sure Keith took the rookies and did okay but not as fantastic in the past but theres noone but like Don Cherry who would say Seabrook is as good as a Keith.

mikita's helmet

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Reminds me of certain people saying Seabrook is "declining" is he declining or has he been put into tougher situations lately. This whole year he mainly for the first large stretch had to carry a line, and they weren't against easy opponents. Him and Svedberg for awhile or Gus after that were a pair that also weren't taking the weakest opponents. Sure Keith took the rookies and did okay but not as fantastic in the past but theres noone but like Don Cherry who would say Seabrook is as good as a Keith.

Love that Seabrook. Shawsie, too!
cherrynall.jpg

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:

I want to believe this, but there have also been instances where Seabrook has just looked bad. Take the goal the Blues scored when Fabbri turned him into a pylon, for example.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
He's always been speed beaten or has flaws, like slams pucks no look to get pucks out of the zone just as hard as he can on the boards. Yet as that happens he's still one of the better 2 on 1 preventing players.

I think too often people will just conclude, oh x is worse now without highlighting how they got worse or what makes them worse. Those failure bits were there in the previous moments frequently too. I think people have a false perception of a Seabrook being something different to say oh he's "worse" or declining. Based on what actual play of the past? I think it's just an imaginary picture based on being hyper aware of the present day without actual having exemplary views of the past. Lots of people ripped him in 2013 and int eh 2014 playoffs vs the Kings where goals were rebounded or skated around him a buncha times in those series.

Do they really think Seabs was some stronger D-zone lock down player in 2010-2012? When the team D wasn't even all that great for stretches unless they had possession... It just doesn't make much sense to me how people conclude these things because they just state he's declining without indicating what it means to his previous years.

This year his Corsi numbers were down and notably when playing with the likes of TVR/Svedberg/Gus in order I think. Depending on the scenarios helps out too. Yeah his Corsi numbers were better in those earlier years, they're always better anytime he plays with one of the best games defensmen in Keith.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'v lost no confidence in Seabs, the good out weighs the bad with him, there are no perfect players. Yep he'll allow a bad goal, it happens, I think it's funny people think he is bad and worn out and tired, he had a very good regular season.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'v lost no confidence in Seabs, the good out weighs the bad with him, there are no perfect players. Yep he'll allow a bad goal, it happens, I think it's funny people think he is bad and worn out and tired, he had a very good regular season.

This^^^.

Earlier in the year when Keith missed a bunch of games, Seabs really carried the D and scored some key goals too.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
As I noted in earlier posts, playing with a rotating cast on left-wing and an aging and often injured Hossa on right-wing this year, and he had the same amount of goals this year as the last two and 8 assists less than last year.

He always starts slow every season (hopefully, you're aware of that).

His play last night was great, as I explained in an earlier post, and many commentators following the playoffs agree. It's not all about numbers. We lose game two, also if his face-off skills don't get the puck back to Keith for the goal at the end of the second period.
I'll take my boy Novaks side also though. Toews did have a bad hand this year compared to the gifts for Kaner line. He lost his LW, Kane found his soul mate and a big Russian buddy in the middle.

Hossa IS declining, fact.

But most importantly Toews does so many little things with spacing, effecting defenders from what they want to do. Several times this year he didn't touch the puck but created a passing or shooting lane by his tricks.

His hockey IQ is incredible in real time. His face offs are a real stat and he dominated the first half. He is the best penalty shooter in the league. He took on a leadership roll sticking up for teammates without his gloves.

I see something is wrong, but he is still worth 10 mil and is the first guy Q and I would start a franchise with. Complaining about him is asinine. He can't live up to his high bar?

I think he gets 30 goals next year.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I want to believe this, but there have also been instances where Seabrook has just looked bad. Take the goal the Blues scored when Fabbri turned him into a pylon, for example.

That happens to the best of them....Keith, Chelios, Lidstrom, Orr....all of them. No one in this game is perfect.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think that some Hawks fans have just gotten spoiled with the greatness of Keith and expect the same from Seabrook. He is Robin to Keith's Batman.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I get grossed out watching Hammer play, he is like the abused dog of the villain that steps up to sacrifice himself when the heroes are in trouble.