Nbc sports cuts off pat foley as he rants about start times for hawks-blues

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
P Foley rant
“This is the third time in five games that a start time of 8:42 (PM) local was mandated. I can say with certainty, players cannot stand these late starts, coaches cannot stand them, and most importantly, the fans can’t stand them. So if we approach midnight eastern, AGAIN, on a work night, on a school night, a simple question: An 8:42 puck drop…”

Milbury on P Foley
You know what? If that’s too late for certain announcers, I think they should just let someone else call the game, and stay home and get a good night’s rest, because 8 o’clock it is. We do that so we can get everybody involved, and all the games on. Lots of games and we do a good job showing them.”

Link

Last edited:

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Gary Bettman calls Pat Foley's comments on late starts "off the mark," says Hawks are OK with 8:40 puck drops.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So is McDonough's ear burning after Bettman called him this morning "you better reel that Foley clown in, get control of him John" and while you're at it what's with that treeturdy BS?

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So I guess the NBC affiliate cut him off but CSN let him go.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Pat Foley is absolutely right here.

Fuck Mike Milbury.
yep, and on top of that. 8 is much different than 8:42... I dont' understand why they can't stagger... why can they not at least overlap times... they have other channels. If they are so concerned about everyone seeing everything than put them all on fucking primetime on different channels. staggering the start time so fuck heads on the east coast can stay up till midnight to see a couple of west coast teams?

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
yep, and on top of that. 8 is much different than 8:42... I dont' understand why they can't stagger... why can they not at least overlap times... they have other channels. If they are so concerned about everyone seeing everything than put them all on fucking primetime on different channels. staggering the start time so fuck heads on the east coast can stay up till midnight to see a couple of west coast teams?

And they stagger the start times in a horrible fucking manner. If you're going to do that, start them every 30 minutes so that when one game goes into the intermission, you can switch over and watch the other game. But starting them every hour means that games go to the intermission and come back all at the same time. It's ridiculous.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
ima shove a fucking spork in Mike Millbury's cunty eye socket.

Foley is right on the money and hes telling the NHL and NBC how the fans feel, he could give 2 shits about what time he has to call the games.

People have to get up for work and shouldn't have to stay up till fucking midnight to watch their team.

People have kids who are fans, kids shouldn't have to stay up till fucking midnight to watch their team.

No one benefits from these bullshit late starts except NBC and their ad revenue so they can capture those 14 people who will watch the earlier games (which run over top of eachother) and the later Hawks/Blues game.

Foley said it perfectly and he expressed what the majority of us feel about late starts for 2 teams who both play within the Central timezone.

NBC and the NHL should take this as a "Oh we pissed off enough people that Pat Foley decided to say something" and instead they will go "Oh one old man doesn't like staying up late, boo hoo, everyone else likes it this way". We don't like it and if I met Mike Millbury in person I would light him on fire. Fuck him.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Foley is right on the money and hes telling the NHL and NBC how the fans feel, he could give 2 shits about what time he has to call the games.

People have to get up for work and shouldn't have to stay up till fucking midnight to watch their team.

People have kids who are fans, kids shouldn't have to stay up till fucking midnight to watch their team.

No one benefits from these bullshit late starts except NBC and their ad revenue so they can capture those 14 people who will watch the earlier games (which run over top of eachother) and the later Hawks/Blues game.

Foley said it perfectly and he expressed what the majority of us feel about late starts for 2 teams who both play within the Central timezone.

NBC and the NHL should take this as a "Oh we pissed off enough people that Pat Foley decided to say something" and instead they will go "Oh one old man doesn't like staying up late, boo hoo, everyone else likes it this way". We don't like it and if I met Mike Millbury in person I would light him on fire. Fuck him.
LOL
giphy.gif

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well cmon.... he deserves it.

Oh I 100% agree, Milbury just towing the company line. He could have moved right past making a comment and not rubbed people the wrong way. I doubt a lot of people are in agreement with the late starts. I understand the logic by NBC, but like Mass and Melt mentioned NBC could re-think and stagger the start times so they worked better.

mikita's helmet

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It all boils down to East Coast bias and us hicks in the Midwest, though we (the Hawks) are the best fuckin' team this decade. fuck'em!

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Foley is 100% right, and glad he used his brief (and cut to commercial) moment to display a classic Foley moment.
Bettman responded and has no clue of what the pulse is of the league that he is commissioner of, and the fact that McD got on his knees and blew Bettman instead of supporting Foley is complete garbage. McD threw Foley under the bus, instead of airing out what we all feel.

The NHL is a game that needs fans, because it's not going to gain any with near-9pm starts. The other thing that the NHL has is 5 on 5 sudden death OT, which is amazing to watch, as long as it isn't starting at 11pm.

Now some of the arguments are that there will be games airing at the same time. Well, yes. It's the first round. That's inevitable. To shove 2 central time zone teams into an 8:42pm puck drop is simply doing your fans a disservice, especially when the Hawks draw some of the biggest numbers. Yes, the Detroit/Tampa game was good, but most people now have DVRs, and can record a game while watching another. I don't have a DVR, but I can change channels. It's pretty easy. I was also fortunate to have today off, while others probably had work/school, etc.

Again, if you want to grow the product, have reasonable start times. It helps the younger fan base get into what you're trying to sell Mr. McDouche and Mr. Bettman.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Great rant!! Agree with all of it. :yep:

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Great rant!! Agree with all of it. :yep:

I think Ares might be some sort of a closet pyromaniac doe. He mentioned in another post using a flame thrower on hornets, and now torching Milbury (Secretly I'll admit to wanting to watch that). But yes @Ares #nailedit

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Ares might be some sort of a closet pyromaniac doe. He mentioned in another post using a flame thrower on hornets, and now torching Milbury (Secretly I'll admit to wanting to watch that). But yes @Ares #nailedit

It would be hard to top a hillbilly with a mohawk torching a tree though.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It would be hard to top a hillbilly with a mohawk torching a tree though.

Nah, Milbury would be more fun to burn than a tree, Roenick would prolly pay good money to watch that.