FInal press conference of the season happening now

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Ran the buyout numbers:
16-17 Cap hit 1,000,000 (cap savings of 3,000,000)
17-18 Cap hit 1,500,000 (cap hit of 1,500,000)

Buying him out helps secure Shaw as a signing and cushions Panarin's cap bonus from hitting his numbers this season. Looking at cap numbers for the UFA/RFAs to see who possibly may stay next season, because if Panarin hits 70+ points again he's going to command a nice payday in 17-18.

I think Bickell gets bought out this summer if they don't have a taker for him.

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Bickell gets bought out this summer if they don't have a taker for him.

I agree. It's better than paying him just over 3 million to be a Hog for one more year.
I also think Hossa has one more year in Chicago, and if he puts up sub-40 points next season, the Hawks may look to move him with a promise that he doesn't hang them up with a few years to go. They would be insane to not try and free up cap room for Panarin, because free agent D men will be gobbled up rather quickly in the off season. There are some decent UFAs, but age is a factor with a few of them, and for others a 4m cap hit for a FA blue liner could send this team to cap hell once again.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
There are a ton of interesting storylines about this Hawks' offseason. Very interested to see how it all plays out.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Stupid question... I know I know shut the fuck up, but with the new rules in place for what can and can't be traded and teams being able to retrain certain portions and such, if they buy out bickell, could they use his buyout hit as a piece in a trade that year? So in 17-18 could we say trade draft picks and that dead money to a team for a player or something like that? Is there anything in the books to do that?

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
Stupid question... I know I know shut the fuck up, but with the new rules in place for what can and can't be traded and teams being able to retrain certain portions and such, if they buy out bickell, could they use his buyout hit as a piece in a trade that year? So in 17-18 could we say trade draft picks and that dead money to a team for a player or something like that? Is there anything in the books to do that?

Doubt that can be done (or if the CBA allows that to happen), but if Stan could pull that off he deserves BJs from all of us. My guess is they buyout is a transaction that allows Bickell to be a free agent to be picked up as a UFA from 29 other teams, so the remaining cap hit doesn't figure into a negotiation for a player that isn't on the books anymore, which means it's dead cap.
He's already pulled off moves to retain salary, so if a trade negotiates a team retain up to 1.5m, I guess you can call it a wash. I just don't think too many teams are out there that are willing to eat salary for players they won't have on a roster anymore, unless they're trying to meet the cap floor.

mikita's helmet

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We need to bring Panik back. Love his tweet quote below:

Richard Panik wants to return to Blackhawks
http://www.secondcityhockey.com/201...to-return-to-blackhawks-2016-salary-cap-space

The NHL salary cap ceiling is estimated to be around $74 million next season. Panik is coming off a one-year, $975,000 contract. He's a simple man and it doesn't take much to make him happy.

Panik on #Blackhawks: "It's how the organization treats us. We have breakfast — all-inclusive. It seems like I'm on vacation all the time."

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We need to bring Panik back. Love his tweet quote below:

Richard Panik wants to return to Blackhawks
http://www.secondcityhockey.com/201...to-return-to-blackhawks-2016-salary-cap-space

The NHL salary cap ceiling is estimated to be around $74 million next season. Panik is coming off a one-year, $975,000 contract. He's a simple man and it doesn't take much to make him happy.

Panik on #Blackhawks: "It's how the organization treats us. We have breakfast — all-inclusive. It seems like I'm on vacation all the time."

That is a great quote, love it.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Doubt that can be done (or if the CBA allows that to happen), but if Stan could pull that off he deserves BJs from all of us. My guess is they buyout is a transaction that allows Bickell to be a free agent to be picked up as a UFA from 29 other teams, so the remaining cap hit doesn't figure into a negotiation for a player that isn't on the books anymore, which means it's dead cap.
He's already pulled off moves to retain salary, so if a trade negotiates a team retain up to 1.5m, I guess you can call it a wash. I just don't think too many teams are out there that are willing to eat salary for players they won't have on a roster anymore, unless they're trying to meet the cap floor.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I assume the only way to do it then is to trade him to a team with the space to eat it with the buyout implied...

biscuit_in_the_basket

Gigacore Fan!
Liked Posts:
Summing up Q's talk:

No one was carrying any major injuries in the playoffs, which is incredibly rare in the NHL.
Referred to Andrew Shaw as "irreplaceable."
Expects the entire coaching staff to return next season.
Said he'd like Teuvo to be more consistent.

In two statements that will probably surprise a lot of people:

Said TVR may have been the best player in the last series
Said that the team's biggest issue this was season was the lack of a consistent four-line rotation (not the defense)

Lack of consistent 4th line is on Q....unless Stan was intervening...then it is on Bickell... because

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I hope I get bought out, you damn turds don't deserve me anyway

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Once I get traded, I'm taking Bread man with me. Then you can drown in sorrow.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Once I get traded, I'm taking Bread man with me. Then you can drown in sorrow.

r4nZTMl.gif

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
pretty good doe right?

Bigfoot approves, to bad you couldn't photoshop Bigfoot head on giant slamming Teuvo into da wall

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I agree. It's better than paying him just over 3 million to be a Hog for one more year.
I also think Hossa has one more year in Chicago, and if he puts up sub-40 points next season, the Hawks may look to move him with a promise that he doesn't hang them up with a few years to go. They would be insane to not try and free up cap room for Panarin, because free agent D men will be gobbled up rather quickly in the off season. There are some decent UFAs, but age is a factor with a few of them, and for others a 4m cap hit for a FA blue liner could send this team to cap hell once again.

I think Hossa will give a very solid year next year. I also think that if they move him down to the 3rd or 4th line, he still will be an excellent FORCE on this team. He had a very good play-off and is still one of the best two way players on the Hawks.