Deon Bush S

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
secondary

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1998305/deon-bush

STRENGTHS: A tall, rangy defensive back, Bush is a terrific athlete with the required length, physicality and ball-skills for the safety position at the NFL level. He is used all over the Hurricanes' defense, giving scouts an opportunity to evaluate him as a blitzer, in run support, single high in coverage even dropping down to cover slot receivers.
Bush has a lean body type, but he's not skinny and plays tougher than he looks, throwing his body around and delivering jarring hits to separate his target from the ball on defense and special teams (nine forced fumbles over his career). He light feet and fluid hips to change directions quickly and accelerates in a flash.

Bush has the instincts and range for the deep middle, reading the eyes of quarterbacks and erasing deep-ball opportunities. He locates the football well and times his leap to win contested passes.

WEAKNESSES: Bush needs to improve his route recognition in coverage and his break down skills while in motion vs. the run. He takes highly aggressive angles to the ball, leaving himself vulnerable to cutbacks. Too often is willing to leave his feet in pursuit of big collisions, occasionally whiffing entirely. A bit choppy in his backpedal and too often latches hold of receivers when asked to cover in man to man.

COMPARES TO: Dashon Goldson, Washington Redskins: Like the 6-2, 205-pound Goldson, Bush has the combination of closing speed, physicality and ball-skills every scouts is looking for. Their highly aggressive play, however, can also lead to critical mistakes.

IN OUR VIEW: Bush was considered one of the better seniors at his position over the summer, but his 2015 season was disappointing as he battled injuries and inconsistency. Whether it be in run support, protecting the middle against the pass or as a gunner on special teams, Bush is a heat-seeking missile with a knack for delivering monster hits.

He is a good size/speed athlete, who loves to fly around and hit, both on special teams coverages and from different levels of the defense. But his instincts and awareness aren't ready for the NFL, finding himself out of position and playing out of control. Bush desperately needs positive pre-draft workouts to repair his damaged draft stock.

--Rob Rang and Dane Brugler (1/18/16)

DWBear

Liked Posts:
Do you guys think he's just a special teams thumper, or a legit Safety prospect?

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
I think he'll be great on the coverage teams for now. He adds depth as well, so this is a solid pick.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Do you guys think he's just a special teams thumper, or a legit Safety prospect?

he will compete for the strong safety position I think.....hard hitter

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
Civilization, also known as Massachusetts
Not so sure I like this pick............sounds like he's got a very low football IQ.....lacks anticipation.....poor reads.....poor reaction.....I hope that Pace knows something about him that the other scouts might have missed....?!

BigJ52

Liked Posts:
I'm a Hurricanes fan and this kid was very highly thought of coming in to college. Like quite a few Miami kids lately wouldn't surprise me at all if he turns out to be a better pro player than he was a college player. Coaching under the Al Golden time at Miami left A LOT to be desired. Scheme and player development was not good.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
I put this in the Draft Day 3 thread:

Bush is my guy. For four years he played in the college equivalent of a Mel Tucker defense. The defense was a bend, but don't break style basically designed for its players to not make plays. Still, Bush flashed all the time even in that terrible scheme. He has good tools and he's a physical safety but also makes plays on the ball. You guys won't be disappointed with this pick.

To piggy back off the last two posts, I don't think it can be understated how terrible the coaching at Miami was the last 4 years under Golden and his staff. Bush will definitely be a better NFL player than his college production, and draft position indicate.

Washington

Liked Posts:
Analysis

Strengths Has good size for the position. Has no problem with the physical part of the game and won’t hesitate to come strike. Comes downhill under control looking to mirror the runner. Will gather feet under him, bend and uncoil with with force into tackle. Usually looks to wrap *up as a tackler. Forced four fumbles in 2014. Expected to run well in his workouts. Good leaper. Can get up and disrupt at the high point. Able to turn and run from the hash. Appears comfortable and capable in zone coverage underneath. Has blitz capabilities from sub*packages as a pro. Determined special teams effort. Has ability to excel on all coverage teams.

Weaknesses Has some straight*-line speed and is an explosive leaper, but is lacking in dynamic athleticism. Struggles to change direction in space effecting coverage and tackling. Saw a sharp decline in his tackle success rate in 2015. Plays through a straw. From two-*deep, gets hyper*-focused on receivers to his side and doesn’t read development of play. Shows pre*-snap confusion at times on tape. Lack of instincts and feel for the position limit his range and playmaking ability outside his initial area. Struggles to flip hips and run and doesn’t close separation quickly enough. Late to respond to throws in his area.

Draft Projection Rounds 5 or 6

Sources Tell Us "Put some horrific tape together this year. His Florida State game was a disaster. I expect him to put some numbers up at the combine that get him drafted earlier than he should be. I think he's a mid-rounder with very good special teams value but will need to be a backup box safety-*type of player early in his career." *-- AFC North scout

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He will compete with Rolle.

He is a big hitter, with top level athletic numbers and with coaching and his style I think he could be a player early on.

The Bears needed options in the secondary and he gives the Bears a player with talent to develop.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I think Rolle will get the starting position next year and be a big part of the development of other S on the team.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Hard to judge anyone coming from Miami due to the shitty former coaching staff at Miami especially on the defense side of the ball. Bush showed flashes at Miami, and I believe he can play. This might be a case of a kid getting proper coaching at hitting his potential, cause he and every other defensive player at Miami were not getting proper coaching under the Golden and Coach Dorito

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
He will compete with Rolle.

He is a big hitter, with top level athletic numbers and with coaching and his style I think he could be a player early on.

The Bears needed options in the secondary and he gives the Bears a player with talent to develop.
Give Fangio and Donatell more toys to play with.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk