Slauson released???

Milton Waddams

Liked Posts:
I also always pulled for Slauson after reading a story about him during his last year with NYJ. He, his wife, and his kid(s) were living out of a Motel 6 (or some such place). He was in the last year of his deal, knew NYJ weren't going to re-sign him, didn't want a bunch of $$ tied up in a house he'd have to sell (probably during the recession) when he moved to a new team. Then he came here, but still only got a 1-year deal. Probably the same living situation. I was happy when he finally got a decent, long-term (4-year) contact. It was nice that he and his family got some security.

Of course he's made more by the age of 30 than I'd make in 5 lifetimes. But I always rooted for him.

dafridge72

Liked Posts:
Aaron Leming
‏@AaronLemingNFL
Spoke w/ a source about the Matt Slauson cut & cited health concerns for the reason for cut. #Bears

Culpfiction

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Aaron Leming ‏@AaronLemingNFL 41s42 seconds ago
#Bears have also released DL D'Anthony Smith.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Pace is a fucking idiot. This is stupid and makes no sense at all. Talk about a post-draft downer. He should be cutting his pencil necked weak ass center who Slauson had to play for last year.

Pace is definitely not an idiot and knows exactly what he has/had in Slauson and i'm sure he has reasons for doing this that none of us will ever know but to say he's an idiot is just wrong. There's either a move coming or some other inside reason for this.

Bears27

Liked Posts:
This shouldn't surprise any of you guys. It's the same shit these McCaskey-owned Bears have done for decades. The only difference is now we have a competent GM who can plan ahead with low-level FA pickups and high-level draft picks to soften the blow on these cost-cutting moves.

Slauson was a beast and probably one of my favorites on that OL because of his work ethic and versatility. Dumb move, but not surprising.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
he's doing the players a favor by releasing them so they have plenty of time to sign with a new team instead of doing at 1 week before the start of the season when most rosters are already finalized

Those are my thoughts. Maybe tried some trades, that didn't work so they told him he could battle in TC or get his release now and get picked up by someone sooner

greg23

Liked Posts:
Aaron Leming ‏@AaronLemingNFL 41s42 seconds ago
#Bears have also released DL D'Anthony Smith.

The former raider convicted of multiple murders?

Didnt realize he was on the roster but thats a good move by pace!

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Of course he did, did you want him to say he was gonna cut Rolle and Slausen tomorrow??

I'd prefer him to just say we're going to talk about the draft picks tonight. I really don't care... Just pointing out Pace made it a little too obvious.

Thomas31

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
When did Young go? I didn't see that.

Wait a minute. Is this true? if this is true than that is a WAY bigger story than Slauson(not that Slauson getting released isn't a big, and bad, deal...)

BEARS

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
#thepurgecontinues

Sucks but not a shocking move. Obviously he got no takers on him during the draft so he simply cut him.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
It's not that Slauson is a bad player he just struggles to move laterally on reach blocks and making plays at the second level in the zone blocking scheme.

Slauson is not the same type of athlete as Kyle Long who can get out in space and cut defenders off or maintain leverage on reach blocks. No one is saying Slauson is bad, no one is saying he's too old. But he also doesn't fit the system very well as a run blocker. Add to the elimination of the cut block and it takes away even more of his effectiveness. A lot of times if a guy can't get the angle he can get the cut block. Now they've been outlawed so you need even better athletes.

Slauson is one of my favorite players on the roster because he's a bit of an underdog and he's achieved above expectations and you can't knock the guy for that.

But if it's his time to go due to certain limitations then I trust in Pace.

I actually might have to agree with you here. The positive is that the Bears think they can improve upon what Slauson brought to the table. It also shows what they think of Whitehair, imo.

The Bears also just saved another $6 Mil in Cap money putting around $28 Mil total, and about $21 Mil after signing our rookies. That's a lot of money to have yet, they have to have some sort of plan to sign someone, or maybe even re sign a current player to a long term deal.

Stay tuned.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
It's not that Slauson is a bad player he just struggles to move laterally on reach blocks and making plays at the second level in the zone blocking scheme.

Slauson is not the same type of athlete as Kyle Long who can get out in space and cut defenders off or maintain leverage on reach blocks. No one is saying Slauson is bad, no one is saying he's too old. But he also doesn't fit the system very well as a run blocker. Add to the elimination of the cut block and it takes away even more of his effectiveness. A lot of times if a guy can't get the angle he can get the cut block. Now they've been outlawed so you need even better athletes.

Slauson is one of my favorite players on the roster because he's a bit of an underdog and he's achieved above expectations and you can't knock the guy for that.

But if it's his time to go due to certain limitations then I trust in Pace.

Why is he a underdog?? He's been good since he's been in the NFL.