Slauson released???

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, lets hear it for all of those great UNDRAFTED FREE AGENTS. They will save money and get younger. 3-13, anyone? We just lost arguably the best offensive lineman on an already below average O-line. Hoo FUcking Ray. It is hard to believe that these idiots could make the draft even worse.........BUT THEY DID. Amazing STUPIDITY.

never said I agreed with the move just saying those were the only reasons I could see for this move

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
What I don't get is the same posters that scream Fox/Pace know more then any poster here so don't question them, are the same posters that scream Long should be at RG. Hey guys it's Fox/Pace that moved him to T. Weird huh?

You believe certain poster here know more than Pace and Fox about football? which ones?

I think the posters generally look at Fox's coaching record and assume he probably knows something about football. While most of the posters here range from janitorial staff to businessmen.

So I think the reasonable people are taking a wait and see approach.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't get this mentality one fucking bit. Is it your money? If he gets paid well its as a pro-bowl guard or as a mediocre tackle. The money will still be fucking high regardless. So why in the fuck would you put him where his influence is not as great? Oh fuck it. I give up.

Haha-Robin-Hood-Surprise-Reaction-Gif.gif

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
This move still pisses me off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
If Long is going to get paid like a Otackle....might as well make him a OTackle.

Long, Whitehair, Ramirez, Larsen, Massie

Massie an Larsen played together in Arizona

Yea. That sounds like a great plan. Let's move a guy who plays naturally on the right side, who sucked ass as a tackle, over to play tackle on the left side.

:obama:

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't get it. Rookie offensive lineman, even those that were drafted in the top ten, have a tendency to struggle in their first year. Penciling in a 2nd round draft pick and releasing a proven effective commodity doesn't make a bit of sense, unless it is purely a cap move. Not saying Whitehair won't be good, but, I highly doubt he will be immune from the learning process either. It's almost as Pace is saying that 2016 is a transition year, and is willing to take a few losses if the net result is a better team in 2017. There is nothing wrong with that philosophically, but it doesn't jibe with the expectations of some on this board.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Ultimately I may not like some of the things Pace is doing but he has done more than enough to warrant giving his plan the benefit of the doubt. I am willing to let the rest of the off-season play out to get a better picture of whats going on.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If Slauson isn't the long term solution and they think Whitehair is then this makes perfect sense. This isn't QB where you can learn a lot from the sidelines. Gotta go out there and take your lumps as a youngster. Might as well get it out of the way now.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We are not going far this year. It may as well be a teaching year. 6-10 to 10-6 but even if we DO somehow win wild card or division, we can't go beyond that. Let's just watch these guys develop and then hope that next year we can fill in the last few holes with some elite talent.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I have said this numerous times and the meatballs just ignore it. He was a mediocre RT at best. What makes anyone think he can play LT? He is a Pro Bowl LG and possibly an allpro at the G position so let's move him somewhere else.

Bullshit. He played very well last year at tackle after he LEARNED the position on the fly. I can't remember a guy who got thrown into a worse situation than Long. Not only did he have to learn a tough position with NO CAMP and NO PRE-SEASON but, he also had to play with people at right guard who were horseshit. He also was given NO HELP by the tight end who was busy helping their piece of shit LT, Leno.

The offensive line situation, through what now is three different coaching staffs has been the biggest abortive mess ever. They now have one above average player on the entire offensive line and that is Long. He really should and probably will leave for a team that understands the importance of an offensive line. Clearly Pace and Fox do not.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You believe certain poster here know more than Pace and Fox about football? which ones?

I think the posters generally look at Fox's coaching record and assume he probably knows something about football. While most of the posters here range from janitorial staff to businessmen.

So I think the reasonable people are taking a wait and see approach.

Are those the same idiots who said the same thing about Angelo and Emery?

Burrberry

Liked Posts:
If Slauson isn't the long term solution and they think Whitehair is then this makes perfect sense. This isn't QB where you can learn a lot from the sidelines. Gotta go out there and take your lumps as a youngster. Might as well get it out of the way now.

Agreed. Would have been nice to keep him as a backup. But if they think he can't hack it anymore with his injuries and keep up with the style of Football they want to play then it is what it is.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Bullshit. He played very well last year at tackle after he LEARNED the position on the fly. I can't remember a guy who got thrown into a worse situation than Long. Not only did he have to learn a tough position with NO CAMP and NO PRE-SEASON but, he also had to play with people at right guard who were horseshit. He also was given NO HELP by the tight end who was busy helping their piece of shit LT, Leno.

The offensive line situation, through what now is three different coaching staffs has been the biggest abortive mess ever. They now have one above average player on the entire offensive line and that is Long. He really should and probably will leave for a team that understands the importance of an offensive line. Clearly Pace and Fox do not.

Yeah it's not like Fox's teams have consistently fielded good to great offensive lines for pretty much his entire head coaching career. He clearly does not understand the importance of an offensive line.

vincentvega

Liked Posts:
Not only did he have to learn a tough position with NO CAMP and NO PRE-SEASON but, he also had to play with people at right guard who were horseshit. He also was given NO HELP by the tight end who was busy helping their piece of shit LT, Leno.

And he also hurt his hand and played with a club for a few games if I am not mistaken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
From PFF https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/01/20/pro-ranking-all-32-offensive-lines-this-season/

16. Chicago Bears (15th)

Pass-blocking rank: 17th

Run-blocking rank: 5th

Penalties rank: 20th

Stud: Since arriving from New York, Matt Slauson has been everything and more than the Bears could have hoped for. Even when they asked him to move to center, he still delivered.

Dud: Rookie Hroniss Grasu found out that life in the NFL is tough, with general struggles in the run game and more pressure allowed than you’d want.

Summary: A makeshift line, it’s surprising they rallied to play as well as they did. Kyle Long wasn’t a natural at right tackle, but by the end of the year, had made a good enough go at it that you could see him sticking there for the long-term. With some talent on the roster, this line still has a patchwork feel to it that will need some attention in the offseason.

You realize that PFF is a couple of 138 pound pasty British guys in a dirty flat in London right?

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
Ultimately I may not like some of the things Pace is doing but he has done more than enough to warrant giving his plan the benefit of the doubt. I am willing to let the rest of the off-season play out to get a better picture of whats going on.

I'm willing to give Pace the benefit of the doubt, but I disagree with the 'done more than enough'.

In NO, his 'success' wasn't really success. Their defense was epically bad and any success they did have was largely a result of one of the greatest QBs of all time at the helm and a TE who no one could defend.

As the Bears GM, the jury is still out. He's had one draft with players that have hit the field. The team he fielded won 6 games. Only one better than the year before. He and Fox did have to do deal with an epic number of injuries, but...

Time will tell. I will say this - he isn't wishy washy and I like that. The moves to get rid of 3 of their best players (one as a result of contract/age and two for the pain in the ass factor) are controversial, but ballsy.

Time will tell if any of the draft picks from last season or this season pan out successfully. Kevin White hasn't seen the field. He was taken at 7 to fill a hole that Pace himself created by sending one of the best WR away for nothing. Goldman - time will tell, but as of now, he's just a guy. Grasu - same as Goldman. Terribly undersized and was flattened many times. Langford - decent runner. Hands of stone. As of now, just a guy. Amos - decent player. Terribly overrated by this board largely because the S position has been such a mess. Any guy with a heartbeat would look like an improvement. Less impressive as the season went on. No ball skills displayed all season which is a problem at that position. Hopefully he takes the next step. As of now, a serviceable NFL S. That's it. Fabuluje - nothing to grade.

I wouldn't say that gives Pace the benefit of the doubt. I would say it gives him an incomplete.

The proof will be in the results.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
Are those the same idiots who said the same thing about Angelo and Emery?

We can disagree with picks, results, performance, etc.

But let's all live in reality - guys like Angelo, Emery, Fox, etc - who are men 60 years of age who have been around the college and NFL game for decades - know the playbook, know the scouts, know the players, know the mindset, know the training regime, the travel schedule, the practices, the injury rehabs, the business, the trades, the salary cap, etc. - know considerably more about NFL football and NFL football talent than every person on this and every forum combined.

They make decisions. Sometimes those decisions are wrong. In most sports, failure is common. Baseball hitters fail, on average 75% of the time. That's reality.

Suggesting random posters on an internet forum who watch NFL RedZone are more knowledgeable than NFL GMs is just ridiculous. Owners are in the business to succeed, win championships and make money. Ask Rocky Wirtz what winning championships does for the balance sheet. If overweight opinionated internet forum denizens 'knew more about football', then guys like Kraft, Rooney and Mara would hire them. They don't.