Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What's worse is they're talking about re-signing Noah who just happens to be breaking down and another injury risk (probability).

If I had to guess, the front offices plan is to give a career role player like Harrison Barnes a max contract or give a super max contract to solid, yet unspectacular Al Horford. They're going to overspend on one of the weakest free agent classes instead of holding onto their money, developing younger guys, and capitalizing on one of the deepest free agent classes in recent memory in the 2017 class. I hope I'm wrong though.
Sounds about right

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
I see a lot of complaints about the FO...but I'm not seeing a lot of viable options for change. It's easy to say the FO sucks (they kinda do)...but look at the reality of the league.

The Bulls had a legitimate shot at the title before LeBron decided to form the Heatles....then D Rose got injured.
They still managed to put up also ran numbers until this season...but were constantly snakebit by injuries at crucial moments.

Now...LeBron is running with Kyrie and Love with a philosophy to get a decent seed and then turn it on in the playoffs.

Name me a free agent that will change that? Name me a franchise decision that will change that?

You think we are signing Durant? Not happening. You think Melo was the answer? Look at the Knicks for the past few years.
Name ONE key development that the FO could have done. Because outside of drafting Draymond (who NO one knew would be THAT good...even Thibs) and Dieng (and I was heartbroken when they didn't draft this one)...the only viable option for this team was staying the course and hoping that they could actually field the HEALTHY team they constructed.

I'm all about team "EFF THE FO" but....y'all gotta be fair, man.

None of those questions are germane to the matter, which is that GarPax have proven to be inept. Inept management must be shown the door, period.

KingDarude7

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well I sure the hell hope they'd plan on keeping him.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Limitless options exist for how you construct a roster. Casual fans might have trouble with this, but to an NBA executive with a staff of well paid scouts and nothing but time to watch video, this is part of the job. Paxson and Forman lack the vision to make significant roster adjustments. I say when things aren't working within a reasonable time-frame, it's time for a change. Sure there is risk in that, but change is a good thing for people/organizations.

Regarding Thibs, the playoff record didn't justify keeping him here any longer. Add to that the constant yelling during games and his complete disregard for the wear and tear his practices and minutes per game inflicted on an already injury prone veteran roster (which no doubt led to more injuries and poor morale), clearly a change needed to be made. The last straw is when the core players stopped listening to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
What's worse is they're talking about re-signing Noah who just happens to be breaking down and another injury risk (probability).

If I had to guess, the front offices plan is to give a career role player like Harrison Barnes a max contract or give a super max contract to solid, yet unspectacular Al Horford. They're going to overspend on one of the weakest free agent classes instead of holding onto their money, developing younger guys, and capitalizing on one of the deepest free agent classes in recent memory in the 2017 class. I hope I'm wrong though.

I don't believe GarPax will spend any significant amount of money on FA's this offseason. I believe they will do what they always do. They will sit back, do little to nothing except maybe resign Noah & a couple midlevel guys at best. They'll hope that Fred turns it around in year 2; hope that McDermott & Mirotic finally fulfill their, imho, overrated potentials; hope that Rose has a fully healthy & incredible contract year; hope that Butler magically turns humble in the offseason; hope that a catastrophic injury befalls Lebron.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I don't believe GarPax will spend any significant amount of money on FA's this offseason. I believe they will do what they always do. They will sit back, do little to nothing except maybe resign Noah & a couple midlevel guys at best. They'll hope that Fred turns it around in year 2; hope that McDermott & Mirotic finally fulfill their, imho, overrated potentials; hope that Rose has a fully healthy & incredible contract year; hope that Butler magically turns humble in the offseason; hope that a catastrophic injury befalls Lebron.

Nah...that's what I hope they do....except don't re-sign Noah. The Bulls know they took a major PR hit and fans are turning their backs against them. Whether that shows up at the arena is another story, but I believe it will show up in merchandise sales and especially TV ratings. Their ratings were already significantly down this year. I fully expect the Bulls to foolishly spend money this off-season. The cap is exploding and one of the reasons Gar gave for not trading Gasol is because of cap space. They're going to use it. Unfortunately, it's a terribly weak free agent class and they're going to have to severely overpay for solid, yet unspectacular talent. I think they throw a gross contract at Horford, in part to help bring Noah back. I'm not even sure Horford is much, if any of an upgrade over Gasol but he's certainly a better defender. Although not particularly great on D and probably a notch below Gasol on offense. Barnes is another guy I could see them throwing a gross contract at hoping he could go from role player/average efficiency player to some type of a building block. Good luck with that. I really hope they don't spend much, dump guys like Taj/MDJ, get more athletic, and sign mid-level players to 1 or 2 year deals. Not only is 2017 a much more top heavy free agency class, it's also much, much deeper for your 2nd and 3rd tier players.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Nah...that's what I hope they do....except don't re-sign Noah. The Bulls know they took a major PR hit and fans are turning their backs against them. Whether that shows up at the arena is another story, but I believe it will show up in merchandise sales and especially TV ratings. Their ratings were already significantly down this year. I fully expect the Bulls to foolishly spend money this off-season. The cap is exploding and one of the reasons Gar gave for not trading Gasol is because of cap space. They're going to use it. Unfortunately, it's a terribly weak free agent class and they're going to have to severely overpay for solid, yet unspectacular talent. I think they throw a gross contract at Horford, in part to help bring Noah back. I'm not even sure Horford is much, if any of an upgrade over Gasol but he's certainly a better defender. Although not particularly great on D and probably a notch below Gasol on offense. Barnes is another guy I could see them throwing a gross contract at hoping he could go from role player/average efficiency player to some type of a building block. Good luck with that. I really hope they don't spend much, dump guys like Taj/MDJ, get more athletic, and sign mid-level players to 1 or 2 year deals. Not only is 2017 a much more top heavy free agency class, it's also much, much deeper for your 2nd and 3rd tier players.

THe thing that should and has to be done is to try their best to trade Rose and rebuild around Butler. Next to the clueless front office and head coach, Rose is the biggest obstacle for this team to get better in the long run. I'd try to trade with the Lakers for DeAngelo Russell who could be a star in this league. Next year the Sacramento pick will be in play in all probability so they could be in the lottery for both their own and the Kings pick. And they should also be in good shape cap wise with Rose's bloated contract off of the books and the cap itself extended upwards.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Limitless options exist for how you construct a roster. Casual fans might have trouble with this, but to an NBA executive with a staff of well paid scouts and nothing but time to watch video, this is part of the job. Paxson and Forman lack the vision to make significant roster adjustments. I say when things aren't working within a reasonable time-frame, it's time for a change. Sure there is risk in that, but change is a good thing for people/organizations.

Regarding Thibs, the playoff record didn't justify keeping him here any longer. Add to that the constant yelling during games and his complete disregard for the wear and tear his practices and minutes per game inflicted on an already injury prone veteran roster (which no doubt led to more injuries and poor morale), clearly a change needed to be made. The last straw is when the core players stopped listening to him.

It was injuries that caused the play-off losses. You ignore that. As for the core players stopped listening to him, he was torpedoed by a front office bent of firing him. Thibs is and has been one of the TOP coaches in the entire NBA and will once again prove that with a young talented roster in Minn. I expect him to be the NBA coach of the year once again.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
THe thing that should and has to be done is to try their best to trade Rose and rebuild around Butler. Next to the clueless front office and head coach, Rose is the biggest obstacle for this team to get better in the long run. I'd try to trade with the Lakers for DeAngelo Russell who could be a star in this league. Next year the Sacramento pick will be in play in all probability so they could be in the lottery for both their own and the Kings pick. And they should also be in good shape cap wise with Rose's bloated contract off of the books and the cap itself extended upwards.

Meh, you're not going to get anything for Rose and his contract comes off the books next year anyways. That's a ton of cap space to utilize for 2017. Unless we got some unforeseen offer I would hang onto him and wait for his contract to come off the books next season. Building around Butler will be extremely difficult to do considering he's more of a #2 guy and we have no way of acquiring a #1/first tier superstar player. I'd try to trade Jimmy. If we could get one of Ingram or Simmons + a rotational player + future pick, I'd pull the trigger in a heartbeat. Finally get some young talent with franchise potential, let Rose and Taj walk next year, and have an unreal amount of cap space to try to lure a big fish or if we strike out, have plenty of cap space to sign multiple 2nd and 3rd tier guys.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Meh, you're not going to get anything for Rose and his contract comes off the books next year anyways. That's a ton of cap space to utilize for 2017. Unless we got some unforeseen offer I would hang onto him and wait for his contract to come off the books next season. Building around Butler will be extremely difficult to do considering he's more of a #2 guy and we have no way of acquiring a #1/first tier superstar player. I'd try to trade Jimmy. If we could get one of Ingram or Simmons + a rotational player + future pick, I'd pull the trigger in a heartbeat. Finally get some young talent with franchise potential, let Rose and Taj walk next year, and have an unreal amount of cap space to try to lure a big fish or if we strike out, have plenty of cap space to sign multiple 2nd and 3rd tier guys.

I do not want to see Rose on the floor anymore with the Bulls and the time to start the rebuilding is now not in another year. I don't care what you or I call Butler as in franchise player or not. He is the best player on this team and has a good future going forward, something that I don't see in most of who the Bulls have.

Unfortunately, with Reinny in charge, it is really unlikely that the Bulls will ever bring in a top talent in free agency so it probably will have to be done via trade and the draft. This needs to start immediately with the dumping of Derrick Rose and the addition of young players with potential and energy.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Here is how I see things playing out...

2015: Coach sucks! Players always hurt! No rings! Get rid of the coach.
2016: Core players suck! Players always hurt! No rings! Get rid of core players!
2017: GarPax suck! Players always hurt! No rings! Get rid of GarPax!
2018: Hoiberg sucks! Players always hurt! No rings! Get rid of Fredberg!
2019: Ownership sucks! Players always hurt! No rings! Get rid of Reinsdorf!
Nice to see nothing changes in the next several years.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
I do not want to see Rose on the floor anymore with the Bulls and the time to start the rebuilding is now not in another year. I don't care what you or I call Butler as in franchise player or not. He is the best player on this team and has a good future going forward, something that I don't see in most of who the Bulls have.

Unfortunately, with Reinny in charge, it is really unlikely that the Bulls will ever bring in a top talent in free agency so it probably will have to be done via trade and the draft. This needs to start immediately with the dumping of Derrick Rose and the addition of young players with potential and energy.

Seeing Rose play like he did the 2nd half of the season or at worst, getting injured and sitting on the bench, doesn't seem too bad in a rebuilding year. We simply just can't "dump" Derrick Rose without taking back some type of contract (most likely a bad one) while bringing back similarly crappy talent. His contract coming off the books next season is far more valuable, especially when you consider the state of this franchise. We're not going anywhere and expectations are low. No need to make rash decisions to get rid of a guy who will be gone in a year anyways.

And yes, while Jimmy is our best player, he's not an alpha dog. Very good player, but not going to propel this re-build and more importantly, will most likely opt out in 3 more years and get the hell out of here. You have to think long-term. As I've said before, this is not going to be a quick fix trying to turn this around. It's going ot be at least 2-3 seasons. Over spending in free agency or becoming impatient to dump guys while jeopardizing future cap space isn't going to get it done. Cash in your best asset who doesn't happen to be a first tier franchise player anyway, get younger, let contracts come off the books next season, and look to take advantage of a deep 2017 free agent class. Dumping Rose this season does nothing for us either short term or long term. In fact, it most likely hurts us going forward as whoever we take back in a trade will most likely be signed for at least 2-3 more seasons and won't be very good.

RacerX

Liked Posts:
Seeing Rose play like he did the 2nd half of the season or at worst, getting injured and sitting on the bench, doesn't seem too bad in a rebuilding year. We simply just can't "dump" Derrick Rose without taking back some type of contract (most likely a bad one) while bringing back similarly crappy talent. His contract coming off the books next season is far more valuable, especially when you consider the state of this franchise. We're not going anywhere and expectations are low. No need to make rash decisions to get rid of a guy who will be gone in a year anyways.

And yes, while Jimmy is our best player, he's not an alpha dog. Very good player, but not going to propel this re-build and more importantly, will most likely opt out in 3 more years and get the hell out of here. You have to think long-term. As I've said before, this is not going to be a quick fix trying to turn this around. It's going ot be at least 2-3 seasons. Over spending in free agency or becoming impatient to dump guys while jeopardizing future cap space isn't going to get it done. Cash in your best asset who doesn't happen to be a first tier franchise player anyway, get younger, let contracts come off the books next season, and look to take advantage of a deep 2017 free agent class. Dumping Rose this season does nothing for us either short term or long term. In fact, it most likely hurts us going forward as whoever we take back in a trade will most likely be signed for at least 2-3 more seasons and won't be very good.

Well stated, D-Rose's contract has negative value. Not as bad as, say, Brian Bickell, but still negative. He is virtually guaranteed to wear a Bulls jersey next season - and hopefully for the last time.

All the fumbling, stumbling, targeting, signing, releasing, drafting, whatever over the next couple years is unfortunately pointless, other than to play out the end of the GarPax era.

We are in limbo, similar to the Jim Hendry/Jerry Angelo tenures, we know the ass-clowns in charge are never going to construct a championship team and all we can hope for in the next phase of fandom is that we somehow get lucky with a new F.O. in the near future. Even then it would take the new guys at least a couple or more years to turn around this shit-show of a roster. Sucks to be a Bulls fan for the next several years.

Benchmob757

Liked Posts:
I stated a couple months ago that I wasn't gonna play armchair GM or get invested into the Bulls offseason moves or even think about it. It has been working out wonderfully, I have plenty of other things to stress me out and disappoint me, I'm not letting this team stay on that list.

Whatever happens, happens.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

You are not alone. Most people here are tired of his act. Trouble is, the NBA is fully aware that Rose is a wildly overpaid PG with terrible ball security, always injured and can't shoot. What team would be interested in trading for a guy like that? Sorry to say the Bulls are stuck with him for awhile.

RacerX

Liked Posts:
You are not alone. Most people here are tired of his act. Trouble is, the NBA is fully aware that Rose is a wildly overpaid PG with terrible ball security, always injured and can't shoot. What team would be interested in trading for a guy like that? Sorry to say the Bulls are stuck with him for awhile.

Best possible outcome: next TDL some team is in desperation mode due to a PG injury and passes us a 2018 2nd round pick in exchange for a couple months of DR's services.

LOL, next season we don't have under contract one legit starter on a playoff-level team other than Butler. Arrow is pointing down.

At least we have had the Blackhawks to enjoy for the past 6 years, now have the Cubs. Hopefully in 3-5 years when the Hawks revert to sucking and Coach Q and Stan move on, the Bulls will begin ascending.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
butler is not going anywhere, hes just a fierce competitor that wants to win. i think he will mesh with hoiberg fine next season. His contract pays him like a number 2 star and that is exactly what he is. The bulls are not likely going to be winning the durant sweepstakes and so the only other option is to draft talent. Rose was that guy and so hopefully in this coming draft the bulls pull off a huge upset and land a top 5 pick.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
butler is not going anywhere, hes just a fierce competitor that wants to win. i think he will mesh with hoiberg fine next season. His contract pays him like a number 2 star and that is exactly what he is. The bulls are not likely going to be winning the durant sweepstakes and so the only other option is to draft talent. Rose was that guy and so hopefully in this coming draft the bulls pull off a huge upset and land a top 5 pick.

Why do you think Butler will mesh with Hoiberg fine next season when they clearly didn't mesh well at all this season? What makes you optimistic that dynamic will suddenly change?

Also, it's hard to draft the right talent needed to compete for a championship when you're drafting at #14 in the draft. You need a ton of luck to find a cornerstone guy at that spot. Drafting in the middle of the 1st and keeping the team together as is right now might not even get us into the playoffs....yet alone make us legit contenders.

The Bringer

Beast Pro Legend
Liked Posts:
Those two injuries to D.Rose really did us in, many here are very quick to dismiss just how awesome he was before those knee injuries. We are also very lucky that Butler has turned into an all star player and would be foolish to trade him. I do not want another 10 year rebuild, because that is how long it will take to be relevant starting from scratch.

Keep Butler and build around him, hope to get some luck and the injuries slow the hell down, and fix that God awful interior defense.

I am not sure I am sold on Fred as a long term coach, but will give him a pass for another year or so.