Report: Bulls telling teams they plan on keeping Jimmy Butler

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Why do you think Butler will mesh with Hoiberg fine next season when they clearly didn't mesh well at all this season? What makes you optimistic that dynamic will suddenly change?

Also, it's hard to draft the right talent needed to compete for a championship when you're drafting at #14 in the draft. You need a ton of luck to find a cornerstone guy at that spot. Drafting in the middle of the 1st and keeping the team together as is right now might not even get us into the playoffs....yet alone make us legit contenders.

Just my optimism talking
the dynamic has to change if they want to keep their jobs, hoiberg is the real one in danger, so far in year 1 there are some players that have not bought into his scheme, butler has publicly criticized causing more issues. hoiberg and butler have to hash out their differences, so far butler knows only one way and that was thibodeau's way, he will learn but its going to take time and trust, generally winning would alleviate a lot of those issues but when losses start piling up those frustrations become more vocal.

So far in the NBA there are two ways to generally win a championship
1 - draft talent and add complimentary pieces
2 - sign multiple superstars like the heat to compete for a title.

2nd option is extremely hard to pull off not to mention the only chance may be in 2017 but the chances are unlikely that superstars reach free agency.

the bottom line here is that the bulls will be mediocre at best for a few years, if garpax end up resiging guys like noah, rose, gibson etc...its over. Stay young, dont spend money and acquire assets by trading rose, gibson etc...the Celtics are a good example of a team that is young and has good young pieces so they can opt to use those assets to trade for a franchise player like cousins or to move up in the draft for that franchise player...

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Just my optimism talking
the dynamic has to change if they want to keep their jobs, hoiberg is the real one in danger, so far in year 1 there are some players that have not bought into his scheme, butler has publicly criticized causing more issues. hoiberg and butler have to hash out their differences, so far butler knows only one way and that was thibodeau's way, he will learn but its going to take time and trust, generally winning would alleviate a lot of those issues but when losses start piling up those frustrations become more vocal.

So far in the NBA there are two ways to generally win a championship
1 - draft talent and add complimentary pieces
2 - sign multiple superstars like the heat to compete for a title.

2nd option is extremely hard to pull off not to mention the only chance may be in 2017 but the chances are unlikely that superstars reach free agency.

the bottom line here is that the bulls will be mediocre at best for a few years, if garpax end up resiging guys like noah, rose, gibson etc...its over. Stay young, dont spend money and acquire assets by trading rose, gibson etc...the Celtics are a good example of a team that is young and has good young pieces so they can opt to use those assets to trade for a franchise player like cousins or to move up in the draft for that franchise player...

The window has closed forever on this Bulls team. Gar/Pax/Reinny has fucked it up for a long long time. The only thing that registers with Reinny is money and that means attendance which should hopefully fall. The team will be pretty much unwatchable next year and I think that is the chance for Bulls fans to express their displeasure by not attending or at least not buying anything when they are there. The total arrogance on the part of the three stooges should make Bulls fans really pissed off because the three of them do not give a rats ass about anything that has to do with the fans of the team, only Reinny's bottom line and the money tree that he is to Gar/Pax.

It is just oh so unfortunate that this happened the way it did and it didn't have to happen. They had a five or six year window of opportunity with an excellent coach and refused to give him what he needed to take the team to championships. Now these same three assholes are still there and the team is in shambles.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Injuries and the refusal to make a bold move and shake up the roster is what prevented us from advancing. We know we're still an injury prone team, I just hope it's obvious by now that a bold shakeup is necessary to be serious about contending. First things first though, the Bulls need to find an identity quickly because you don't win in the NBA without one. It has to start defensively for them IMO, because other than Jimmy, they don't really have very efficient offensive players or game changing offensive players. That probably won't get any better with Gasol (presumably) leaving. Rose has glimpses of that from time to time, but he's not "that" guy like he was. The main problem is, I don't know how you form a defensive identity with Hoiberg as your coach. That means the offense has to be light years better than last season. I'm not sure how that really happens without A) an upgrade on the wing and B) a two way PG with a high IQ and natural distributor. Those additions are going to be hard enough to come by, and even if we were able to adequately fill them, our interior defense still needs a major boost.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Butler and #14 for the Lakers #2? Would you pull the trigger?

Basically lands you Simmonds or Ingram.

Enasic

Liked Posts:

No. If they really want Butler, they take him for the #2 and we keep our pick. However, don't the salaries have to come close to matching? Or could they absorb his full contract? I'm not a wiz with the cap rules.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
No. If they really want Butler, they take him for the #2 and we keep our pick. However, don't the salaries have to come close to matching? Or could they absorb his full contract? I'm not a wiz with the cap rules.

I didn't really look at that but yeah. Just throwing it out there hypothetically.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
I think the most realistic target for Jimmy would be Boston at #3, or perhaps Minny at #5 as a dark horse. Philly is better off going with the younger upside and just like Phoenix at #4, they don't have desirable contracts to send our way to match salaries. If Boston offered the #3, Bradley, #16, #23 for Jimmy and the #14, I'd be very happy.

Trade #48, Gibson to Clippers for #33

#3: Buddy Hield

#16: Wade Baldwin

#23: Tyler Ulis

#33 Thon Maker

Sign Harrison Barnes to 4 yrs/84 mil (total of 17.2 mil less than his potential max contract) Not the biggest fan of this but it feels a major need and we don't completely overpay by giving a max.

Sign Dwight Powell to 2 yrs/23 mil

Rose/Baldwin/Ulis
Hield/Bradley/Holiday
Barnes/Doug/MDJ
Bobby/Niko/Powell
Felicio/Powell/Maker

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

No way would I trade Butler even up for a number one or two draft pick let alone adding another draft pick to the Lakers. They need to trade Rose instead.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:

they can absorb the contract

salary matching is only when you are over the cap