What Do You Value More...?

stevethacreator

Liked Posts:
I always think I know better than NBA executives when it comes to basketball. You get those moments where you say "Why the HELL would they make that move?" and so forth. It's enraging to see your FO not take chances when the opportunity is presented to them. Me? I was a bit upset about Melo saying in New York for the money. Would he make this team better? That's up to interpretation. But since the Playoffs began, I started to think to the future. I started to think about what is it that we need--well not NEED, but more or less, what this team values more. My question is, going forward, what should we value more positional wise, and what do we need to become solid again? Because for me, I don't want Jimmy playing 30+ minutes at two positions. So of course I'd value a swingman who can play the 2 & 3. What about you? Of your heart of hearts, what is it that you value you more going into next season...?

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
With who they have and the prospects for anything close to a big deal almost nil.

If they have Dunleavy and McDermott there's no pressing need for another 3 in the regular rotation. That leaves Jimmy at the 2, Now here's where it is up in the air. Rose is your starting 1, to me you get the best backup point guard you can afford. Rose has such a tendency to get injured you just can't count on him for 70 games much less 82. In an emergency Dunleavy could play for a stretch at the 2 and Jimmy could handle the point. If Jimmy were to get hurt an option would be to have Rose play some at the 2 and start that backup point guard. If your choice is to get a quality backup at the 2, you still need some backup point guard, how much can that backup 2 play with Jimmy and Rose healthy?

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Best player available is still the most valued. But if you are doing what this FO does, and that is search for the best in the scraps pile, or shoot for some weird ideal.... what I would like to see is;

A combo guard that can stay healthy. Someone who is a PG first, 6'5 with wingspan to match up with SGs. Then you have options in the front court. A Michael Carter-Williams type with consistency, or a Tyreke Evans-type who isn't so bi-polar, and of course, neither of these guys stay healthy so they are not ideal. But IMO, this is the type of player I value the most for this kind of team.

But that doesn't mean I'm a microscopic brained moron who considers #1 ideal to be far from plan B or plan C. They are all very close in my book, as far as directions this team can go in to either salvage or rapid rebuild. There is no FA+Draft option that gets the Bulls out of the ECF in 2017.

stevethacreator

Liked Posts:
Best player available is still the most valued. But if you are doing what this FO does, and that is search for the best in the scraps pile, or shoot for some weird ideal.... what I would like to see is;

A combo guard that can stay healthy. Someone who is a PG first, 6'5 with wingspan to match up with SGs. Then you have options in the front court. A Michael Carter-Williams type with consistency, or a Tyreke Evans-type who isn't so bi-polar, and of course, neither of these guys stay healthy so they are not ideal. But IMO, this is the type of player I value the most for this kind of team.

But that doesn't mean I'm a microscopic brained moron who considers #1 ideal to be far from plan B or plan C. They are all very close in my book, as far as directions this team can go in to either salvage or rapid rebuild. There is no FA+Draft option that gets the Bulls out of the ECF in 2017.

I can agree with that. I feel like we loaded our front court and NEVER really thought about the problem that we're weak in depth at our guard positions and average at best in at the 3. I think what I also value is more depth, because during stretches I noticed this season we had in-consistent line-ups. I need more versatility on this squad. We're so rooted in this ideology where get these character picks instead of picks that we actually NEEDS.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Defensively, I value players who can defend more than one position. Especially in the middle of the line-up. Having a 2 who can defend the 1 or the 3. A 3 that can guard the 2 or the 4. A 4 who can defend the pick and roll and slide over the the 5 and defend the rim. Or a 4 who is quick-footed enough to defend the 3. The Warriors and the Heat from a couple years back are teams that have won championship(s) who have had versatile players through their respective line-ups on defense.

When it comes to picking a franchise player, whether through the draft or free agency, I am thinking about going after a guy who is best at his respective position. In 2016, it is a point guard league. And a perimeter player league in general. The 90's were dominated by centers. But the best non-center in the league was Michael Jordan. The Bulls dominated that decade. In the 00's, wings dominated the league. The only team that won a title that entire decade without a legit star for a big man was Detroit. The '10's have been dominated by point guards. Curry last year won the title. But the other dominant point guards haven't won a title yet. I guess what I'm saying is I think I'd rather build my team around an Anthony Davis than a Damian Lillard for instance.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
We really need a bit of everything.

We need a big, physical, athletic presence down low that could make a difference on defense and also chip in on offense.

We need another play maker. We've needed one since forever now. Good teams usually have 3 play makers on the court at all times. It's not unusual for some teams to play 4 at a time.

Another wing that isn't as one dimensional as McD/MDJ, isn't worthless like Snell, and ideally a bit longer and more physical than Holiday. I like Holiday, and I would like to dump MDJ and Snell and go with Jimmy/Doug/Holiday, while adding an athletic/defensive wing.

Lastly, we need a real coach. A guy who knows not only the X's and O's, but has all the other intangibles good coaches need. Being dispirited, passive, and a pushover isn't going to garner the respect needed or get guys fired up to play. Not that players should need that, but be honest...if a coach is practically emotionless, it's going to effect you over 82 games. Just like a coach with the opposite demeanor is going to effect you.

The Bulls need to bring in highly motivated, tough (especially mentally), intelligent, and athletic players. I would want all those boxes checked and I'd worry about the positions later.