Report: Blackhawks agree to deal with Czech d-man Kempny

TishLover

Liked Posts:
Darren DregerVerified account
‏@DarrenDreger
Just got home from Russia. Kempny signing with the Blackhawks reported. Montreal and Carolina were also in the mix. He chose Chicago.

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/05/23/report-blackhawks-agree-to-deal-with-czech-d-man-kempny/

By Cam TuckerMay 23, 2016, 7:57 PM EDT

The Chicago Blackhawks have reportedly agreed to a contract with Czech defenseman Michal Kempny, who will turn 26 years old in September.

The club has yet to officially announce such a deal.

Reports of the deal come following the 2016 world hockey championship, where Kempny recorded two assists in eight games for the Czech Republic. He also had 10 penalty minutes and 19 shots on goal in the tournament.

After spending six years of his career in the Czech league, Kempny spent the 2015-16 season in the KHL with Avangard Omsk, where he had five goals and 21 points in 59 regular season games.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here's a link>story from Scott Powers after going to watch Kempny in Europe.

Here’s what Bowman said of Kempny on Sunday: “He’s a mobile defenseman. He’s got that mixture of offense and defense. I would call him a really well-rounded guy. He can defend well in his own end. Mobility, he’s a good skater. He can transition the puck. He can sort of play a well-rounded game, which I think as a defenseman, you’ve seen our team play a lot, you have to be able to defend for our coaches to be able to rely on you. He’s got that ability to sort of play both ways.”

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Pretty excited about this signing. If he proves to be as good as advertised, he could fill the gaping hole that the Blackhawks have in their D corps.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Pretty excited about this signing. If he proves to be as good as advertised, he could fill the gaping hole that the Blackhawks have in their D corps.

Yeah, me too. If both he and Forsling can play...Bowman may have found an affordable way to turn a weakness into a strength.

[video=youtube;wPFw5AOBGWw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPFw5AOBGWw[/video]

Looks like another dman with a big shot. Can never have too many of those.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
I like it.

Though what makes me ponder is I'm not sure if this makes them more or less likely to decide on re-signing Rozi.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I like it.

Though what makes me ponder is I'm not sure if this makes them more or less likely to decide on re-signing Rozi.

:office:

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
Competition for the #5/6 spot is good. Cheap competition for the #5/6 spot is even better. Hopefully one of Forsling or Kempny (or better yet, both) can help out in the upcoming season. It will be needed.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
With the D-signings, there's no real reason the 'hawks can't ice an acceptable D-corps next season unless the top-3 play like they did this past season.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
CSN link: http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-blackhawks/report-blackhawks-agree-terms-defenseman-michal-kempny

Report: Blackhawks agree to terms with defenseman Michal Kempny

By Charlie Roumeliotis May 23, 2016 4:45 PM

The Blackhawks have reportedly agreed to terms with defenseman Michal Kempny, according to ESPN's Craig Custance. It's a one-year, entry-level contract worth somewhere in between $575,000 and $925,000, according to generalfanager.com.
The 25-year-old Czech Republic native registered five goals, 16 assists and owned a plus-17 rating in 59 regular-season games this past season with Avangard Omsk of the Kontinental Hockey League. He also racked up four points (two goals and two assists) and had a plus-7 rating in 11 postseason contests.
Kempny waited until after the 2016 IIHF World Hockey Championship ended before making a decision. He had two assists in eight games during the tournament, and was tied for the team-lead with a plus-7 rating. His performance was good enough to be named one of Czech Republic's best players.

Kempny is a 6-foot, 194-pound left-handed defenseman who's known for his puck-moving skills and his ability to play well at both ends of the ice.

Blackhawks general manager Stan Bowman spoke with Scott Powers of The Athletic earlier this month about the possibility of signing Kempny, and provided a quick scouting report on him:
“He’s a mobile defenseman,” Bowman said. “He’s got that mixture of offense and defense. I would call him a really well-rounded guy. He can defend well in his own end. Mobility, he’s a good skater. He can transition the puck. He can sort of play a well-rounded game, which I think as a defenseman, you’ve seen our team play a lot, you have to be able to defend for our coaches to be able to rely on you. He’s got that ability to sort of play both ways.”
Kempny gives the Blackhawks an NHL-ready defenseman with the potential to slot into a top-four role, or at least take some pressure off a blue line group that lacked the depth it's had in previous seasons.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
As I said in my previous post, all this is good but lets not get too excited here. After all, Cam Barker lead all defensemen in points last year in the KHL. Stats and quick youtube videos aren't going to do much good. Watching a player for a full game, several games, preseason, etc will give you a better idea of what the Blackhawks can have in both Kempny and Forsling. Kempny looked fine in the Worlds and was well rounded but both of those guys still have to transition to a NA style game which can be a lot to ask.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
CjLqVPmVAAAGz-1.jpg

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
As I said in my previous post, all this is good but lets not get too excited here. After all, Cam Barker lead all defensemen in points last year in the KHL. Stats and quick youtube videos aren't going to do much good. Watching a player for a full game, several games, preseason, etc will give you a better idea of what the Blackhawks can have in both Kempny and Forsling. Kempny looked fine in the Worlds and was well rounded but both of those guys still have to transition to a NA style game which can be a lot to ask.

I watched a few Youtube clips of Panarin and went HOLY SHIT, we're getting that guy? He seemed to adjust just fine.
Of course it's a whole different type of player, but you ascertain to a degree how a player may fit into a system. The next hurdle will be how Q utilizes him.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Very low risk, potentially high reward. There's nothing to dislike about it. And I've seen no one get "too excited" about it.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Very low risk, potentially high reward. There's nothing to dislike about it. And I've seen no one get "too excited" about it.

no risk on actually the other additions they added at the same time. A 28 year old Goalie who was noted as Swedens goalie of the year this season in the SEL and another Swede from the league who is a 25 year old Defensive, fast, tough, pker guy with next to no offensive production but a chance to be a toughguy who is actually sound defensively so perhaps that could be a great fit besides Kruger... or he could become just a solid guy like that in Rockford if they don't bring back Lambais who was kinda that but is also a bit too much in the dbag department.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I missed it, I assume all three new contracts are two way?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Sorry but I'm Jizzing in my pants because of the signing

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I missed it, I assume all three new contracts are two way?

According to CF, all are one-way.

Also according to CF, all are waivers-exempt.