Joakim Noah says he's done with the Bulls

Ron Burgundy

Joakim Noah reportedly tells teammates he will leave Bulls

hp_noah_160117-1.jpg

Joakim Noah is reportedly done in Chicago

The Chicago Bulls already seemed to be resigned to losing Pau Gasol in free agency after the debacle that was last season. Now,they might be saying goodbye to one of their longest-tenured fan favorites. The Sun-Times’ Joe Cowley reported today that Joakim Noah has informed teammates that he won’t be returning to the Bulls, possibly ending their free agent push to re-sign him before it began. If this truly comes to pass, it will end Noah’s nine-year run with the Bulls that featured one trip to the Eastern Conference Finals in 2010-2011 and a 2013-2014 season that saw him finish fourth in MVP voting as he carried a rag-tag Bulls squad to the playoffs sans Derrick Rose. The biggest reason for this supposed desire to breakup with the only franchise that drafted him in 2007? Distrust of the front office—especially Gar Forman—and the future direction of the franchise under his and John Paxson’s leadership. More so than possible bitterness about his benching by first-year coach Fred Hoiberg and the did-he-or-didn’t-he-volunteer firestorm that ensued, Noah’s beef with Forman in particular appears to be rooted in Forman’s perceived lack of accountability within the Bulls’ organization, a sentiment that seems not to be uncommon among Bulls’ players. And if you consider what happened at the end of the offseason, perhaps that perception isn’t completely misguided.
JoakimNoahChicagoBullsvAtlantaHawksSOydlB_TiUPl.jpg

I’m referring, of course, to the head-scratching press conference in which GarPax passed the buck on the entire season, refusing to acknowledge their own mistakes (i.e. not trading Pau Gasol at the deadline because they thought they were real contenders and now likely losing him for nothing) and inability to construct a talented enough roster to compete in the classically weak Eastern Conference. Not to mention the fact that their closeness with the Reinsdorfs allegedly has many Bulls players, including Noah, doubting whether either Forman or Paxson will be fired if they continue to prove incapable of moving the team forward. As such, Noah appears content to leave this organization for a fresh start somewhere else—probably, like Gasol, a place that has a legitimate opportunity to compete for a title next season. And truthfully, if we can transition back to the basketball court for a moment, that might be in the best interest of both parties. Obviously Noah was unhappy with his role early in the season and the thought of coming off of the bench, and though he was starting to play more minutes just before a shoulder injury ended his season, he never seemed to fit Hoiberg’s team philosophy. And the numbers bore that out: though his assist and rebound numbers (3.8 and 8.8, respectively) were fairly on par with his career averages (3.0 and 9.4, respectively), he scored a career low 4.3 ppg and shot a subpar 38.3% from the field, easily below his lifetime averages of 9.3 ppg and 49.0% on field goals. After averaging 12.6 ppg in his MVP candidate season, Noah’s scoring average per game dropped off precipitously in his next two seasons, indicating that he never really turned the corner as an offensive threat other than as a passer and rebounder. Combine that with the injury problems that Noah has battled throughout his Bulls tenure—plantar fasciitis, dislocating his shoulder, knee issues, etc.—and I honestly don’t know what else Chicago can get from him on the court. Does he bring passion, leadership, hustle, and other intangibles to the table? Yes. But again, I go back to a question I previously asked: does having Noah on this team make the Bulls any more likely to win a championship, or at this point, even make the playoffs? Three years ago, with him staying healthy, starting 80 games, and putting up MVP-type numbers (albeit without Rose)? I would say yes. In his current state? No. His time as a great/borderline-elite player in this league is over. Perhaps this is a reach, but maybe his openly trying to make a clean break with the Bulls is a tacit acknowledgement that he believes that Bulls also think this and maybe wouldn’t provide him with the money/role he desires going forward. So while I have always respected Noah’s game and hope he does well wherever he chooses to go next—any bets that he goes to Minnesota?—it makes sense for both him and the Bulls organization to move on. If he had wanted to return, he likely would’ve been one of the few good bigs in the free agent pool the Bulls had a shot to sign, as I don’t anticipate the likes of Andre Drummond, Al Horford, or Dwight Howard will be coming here. That said, a Noah reunion would seem too much like a lifetime achievement deal rather than one that actually moves the Bulls’ cause forward. And wouldn't such a move make Forman and Paxson exactly what Noah and others are accusing them of: not being the right men to truly move the franchise forward? Nonetheless, if this truly is the last ride for Noah in Chicago, I wish him all the best wherever he ends up next. And I’ll leave you with this, my all-time favorite Noah play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1xau9SKa-w

More...

Last edited by a moderator:

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
I'm also willing to bet the assistant coach who tells the FO everything that goes on is Pete Myers.

Nope that was Randy Brown all the way. He was put on the bench as a spy for Gar, the guy who recruited him back in college, to report on Hoiberg and the players.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
players don't like him
coaches don't like him
other general managers don't like him
members of the organization that don't trust him
he hasn't made a good draft pick since 2011
has the ego of Krause but has zero championships to his name

how is this man still employed? nowhere in the work force could you have this much negative against you and not lose your job. the guy makes the organization look bad

Diddy1122

Liked Posts:
players don't like him
coaches don't like him
other general mangers don't like him
he hasn't made a good draft pick since 2011
has the ego or Krause but has zero championships to his name

how is this man still employed? if i showed up to work malcontent and generally did a shitty job, i'd be in the unemployment line quicker that i could say it

Two words: Jerry Reinsdorf

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
Two words: Jerry Reinsdorf

he needs to get his head on straight

he lambasted Thibs last year for being intolerable and difficult work with...how about Gar, Jerry?

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Nope that was Randy Brown all the way. He was put on the bench as a spy for Gar, the guy who recruited him back in college, to report on Hoiberg and the players.

Maybe...but they also have a love affair for Myers. They wanted Thibs to keep him on the staff but Tom fired him because he's not a good assistant. Then they fired his boy Adams and made Hoiberg re-hire Myers. So could be either one of those two.

Diddy1122

Liked Posts:
Maybe...but they also have a love affair for Myers. They wanted Thibs to keep him on the staff but Tom fired him because he's not a good assistant. Then they fired his boy Adams and made Hoiberg re-hire Myers. So could be either one of those two.

It's definitely Randy Brown. He was recruited by Gar Foreman back in college to New Mexico State. Gar made him director of player development back in '09 after he was flat broke and was going to auction off his championship rings. Then this past season, Gar moved him from his assistant general manager position to the bench as an assistant coach. Doesn't take much to put two and two together on this one.

Diddy1122

Liked Posts:
he needs to get his head on straight

he lambasted Thibs last year for being intolerable and difficult work with...how about Gar, Jerry?

And I was one of the few people on here who actually railed against him for it in my support of Thibs. This kind of dysfunction in the FO was going on waaaay before Thibs was hired and will continue to go on as long as Paxson and Foreman remain in power. It may be more Foreman than Paxson causing the problems but they are still a two headed monster in my eyes as Pax has the ultimate say-so on decisions and he's gone along with the Gar's the entire time.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
I'm just laughing at all you Johnny-come-latelys. I've been telling you guys all of this ish since 2013, maybe sooner. You're finally starting to accept it 3 years later, even though it's common knowledge to anyone paying attention. You guys said I was full of it--about Noah, Rose, Butler and the front office. Now what? You ready to listen to what happens next? You should already know because I predicted that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enasic

Liked Posts:
It's definitely Randy Brown. He was recruited by Gar Foreman back in college to New Mexico State. Gar made him director of player development back in '09 after he was flat broke and was going to auction off his championship rings. Then this past season, Gar moved him from his assistant general manager position to the bench as an assistant coach. Doesn't take much to put two and two together on this one.

I didn't know all that....you're probably right.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Like I said many times before.

Pax has set up a ton of shields for himself, and keeping Gar is critical to that. This is not a front office of personnel that is interested in winning a tittle first. It is a front office of personnel that is interested in installing everything needed to keep their jobs secure. Hence why they don't make big moves, hence why they treat coaches like mafia bosses. If only they understood that winning is the best job security, especially in Chicago where the journalists run amok with rumors from sources of a source of a source(found on an anonymous twitter account).

Jerry, WAKE THE FUCK UP.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Someone tell me if Minnesota is a realistic destination for Noah

PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
The Spiegel & Goff show had a nice discussion concerning this topic, along with Gar and how him pitting players against each other is ruining this franchise. That was my take from the limited time I was able to listen. They discussed with a guest (Cowley, I think) how the image of the franchise is getting worse and worse under Gar and how Paxson and Hoiberg should distance themselves from Gar.

If that's the case, they should can Gar right now and move on. Gar seems like he is incompetent at best and should be no where near the GM job of a NBA franchise. Him not trading Pau before the deadline should have warranted his firing. I'm kinda done with the Bulls as long as Gar is employed by this franchise.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Like I said many times before.

Pax has set up a ton of shields for himself, and keeping Gar is critical to that. This is not a front office of personnel that is interested in winning a tittle first. It is a front office of personnel that is interested in installing everything needed to keep their jobs secure. Hence why they don't make big moves, hence why they treat coaches like mafia bosses. If only they understood that winning is the best job security, especially in Chicago where the journalists run amok with rumors from sources of a source of a source(found on an anonymous twitter account).

Jerry, WAKE THE FUCK UP.

Trust me, Jerry is awake and bathing in $100 dollar bills. People act like he doesn't realize what the fans realize. He's not a dumb guy. He's a brilliant businessman. His priorities are different than ours. He is loyal to his people and only works with people that he trusts, enjoys working with, and guys who are comfortable following his orders and vision of the team. Those are all the factors that matter to him. That, and of course selling out the stadium, and having a high profit margin. The playoffs help with that, but JR still made money with the Bulls this season. This is their first playoff miss in what....7 years or something? As long as he keeps making money, and the Bulls reach the post-season, no one is going anywhere. Even a blind monkey should be able to tweak this roster to sneak them in the playoffs. Our only hope as fans to see some change is if the Bulls miss the playoffs for 2, maybe even 3 consecutive seasons. Until then, stop watching or be prepared to be disappointed and frustrated.

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
I heard that 'a player' said Jo was going to re-sign because he liked that one rag of a newspaper with a hack writer gave some unattributed quotes from a supposed player on the Bulls a whole story with the idea he would get famous from it.

Could be true but just as easily could be a load of crap from Joe C

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
I heard that 'a player' said Jo was going to re-sign because he liked that one rag of a newspaper with a hack writer gave some unattributed quotes from a supposed player on the Bulls a whole story with the idea he would get famous from it.

Could be true but just as easily could be a load of crap from Joe C

Stories like these aren't just made up and printed by reputable publications. There's enough evidence out there to validate the idea that Noah, Rose, Butler and the Bulls organization are all equally fed up with each other. The complete lack of sense of urgency to get into the playoffs should be your first clue about the environment inside the lockeroom and front office. The players clearly don't care anymore and it showed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ob1force

Liked Posts:
How much $$$ do y'all think Noah will command in free agency? With the rising cap, does he get offers more than $12M/yr?

Enasic

Liked Posts:
How much $$$ do y'all think Noah will command in free agency? With the rising cap, does he get offers more than $12M/yr?

I would say 2 years with a team option for a 3rd season. Anywhere from 10-14 mil per season. The cap is going way up and Noah is a winning player. Some team in need of some rebounding, toughness, and a passing big man will pay him. I'm hoping he goes to GS. They could use him.

ob1force

Liked Posts:
I would say 2 years with a team option for a 3rd season. Anywhere from 10-14 mil per season. The cap is going way up and Noah is a winning player. Some team in need of some rebounding, toughness, and a passing big man will pay him. I'm hoping he goes to GS. They could use him.

That seems to be right on the money (pun intended). I do wonder if he gets more than $14M/yr, all it takes is one crazy team to offer him that.

Omer Asik got 11.5M/yr, Tyson Chandler got $13M/yr last summer. I feel like Noah is a step above Asik, and at TC's level, and TC was 32 years old when he got that contract.