Jay Cutler made the greatest NFL throw, and nobody remembers (Article)

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I actually feel he has made better throws here

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
God Angelo ruined Cutler. What could've been.…

"The QB makes the receivers better" argument he used to justify the shitshow he put out there to "compliment" Jay was laughable. Jay wasn't Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. He was still relatively young and needed help. That's not to say Jay is absolved of guilt or criticism but his story may have been quite different if he were put into a better situation. Oh well… he's our until someone better is found, hopefully soon.

Sent from my davenport using my teleporter

bearsfootball516

Liked Posts:
God Angelo ruined Cutler. What could've been.…

"The QB makes the receivers better" argument he used to justify the shitshow he put out there to "compliment" Jay was laughable. Jay wasn't Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. He was still relatively young and needed help. That's not to say Jay is absolved of guilt or criticism but his story may have been quite different if he were put into a better situation. Oh well… he's our until someone better is found, hopefully soon.

Sent from my davenport using my teleporter

That's the most perfect quote I've ever seen to describe the situation. Reality is, it was a combined effort to make Cutler into what he is now. He obviously had a lot of talent, but he needed to be groomed for it to come out. When he came here, the FO for the first several years surrounded him with garbage at every position except RB, and gave him garbage coaches. Because of that, his growth was immediately stunted, and he never really progressed out of the "rookie gunslinger" maturity on the field who will make several flashy plays, followed by the same amount of cringe-worthy ones.

Quarterbacks typically don't just make drastic changes halfway through their careers that suddenly propel them to great success. What you learn the first 4-5 years of your career becomes ingrained, and that's who the QB will be for his entire career. Which explains why when Cutler DID finally get some good talent around him (2013) with Marshall and Jeffery and Bennett, he was still largely the same QB.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Kordell Stewart's Hail Mary was the farthest pass I have ever seen (incomplete or complete).

FireFox

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I love the concept. So much is made of QBs being able to throw 75 yards, yet they never unleash these passes in game settings. The longest pass I've see is still Krydell Stewart's Hail mary against Michigan...threw it about 74 yards...

[video]https://vine.co/v/exmn6A7EP1A[/video]

The "best" throw I've ever seen is Bobby Douglass' pass to Jim Seymour against the Bills. Every QB who throws deep has an arc trajectory. Even Cutler's throw was a loopy pass. Douglass threw a 62 yard line drive pass with a broken wrist...go to the 1:10 mark of the video...

[video=youtube;OGaczuyWtCU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGaczuyWtCU[/video]

That was a damn nice throw. Thanks for sharing.

Washington

Liked Posts:
The "best" throw I've ever seen is Bobby Douglass' pass to Jim Seymour against the Bills. Every QB who throws deep has an arc trajectory. Even Cutler's throw was a loopy pass. Douglass threw a 62 yard line drive pass with a broken wrist...

Bobby was such a hoot. He'd actually have been a better fit in today's era with QB mobility. Same with Vince Evans to an extent.

I personally still miss that venerable combo of Jack Concannon to Dick Gordon. Good times those 70s...

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Every squirrel finds a nut theory on that bomb. Pretty sweet. Has he hit anyone in stride since then?

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Every squirrel finds a nut theory on that bomb. Pretty sweet. Has he hit anyone in stride since then?

Yes, several times.

Novoitus

Mitch Trubisky Fan
Liked Posts:
[video=youtube;KL3Qmg920QY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL3Qmg920QY[/video]

More recent but my favorite of Jay's throws in Chicago he's had better ones but this one is all arm.

that throw and catch was amazing. wish we won that game.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Here come the cry baby Cutler apologists in full force.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Cutler's on the money lob pass to Knox against Minnesota when their stadium collapsed was one of my favorite passes.