Stanley Cup Final Thread

Who ya got?

• Total voters

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Damn, that's ugly. It least it proves the NHL is legit. The NBA would never "let" a piss poor ratings disaster like that happen.

For all the people that want to hail Chicago as some major hockey market, I think that chart pretty much sums it up. Chicago people will watch the Hawks when they're on. But the rest of the league? If Chicago can't crack the Top 10 when the Cup is on the line, I think that says it all.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
For all the people that want to hail Chicago as some major hockey market, I think that chart pretty much sums it up. Chicago people will watch the Hawks when they're on. But the rest of the league? If Chicago can't crack the Top 10 when the Cup is on the line, I think that says it all.

I agree. I think it has to do with the fact that a lot of Blackhawks fans are "new" fans. They came around in the last 5+ years and they are fans of the Blackhawks first and then fans of hockey second (if they are even really fans at all). I think a lot of people around here even admitted that they didn't watch the Cup Finals or any other playoff games for the most part. Which is unfortunately because there was some amazing hockey on, as there always is come spring/summer.

The cool thing is that, while it might take a while to change, I don't think that will last for a real long time and eventually it will change. I have helped out (though I no longer do with my schedule) with several "learn to skate" programs over the last 10 years or so in the general Chicago-land area. The numbers of people signing up for "learn to skate" has absolutely gone through the roof. A lot of the parents don't seem to be too knowledgeable about hockey in general, but they are getting their kids (and their kids want to be in) into hockey because of the Blackhawks. Should be a trickle down effect and create some strong numbers when it comes to being fans of hockey first and the Blackhawks second.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I think alot more people would have tuned in to watch Patrick Kane/Jonathan Toews vs Sidney Crosby than Sharks vs Crosby.

Not just alot more because Chicago, but in general hockey fans would have been more excited to see that matchup.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
There's also a ton of Pittsburgh transplants across those other cities too though so they're gonna top Chicago.

The Steelers because of that and legacy fans have the 2nd widest spread fan base behind Dallas. That had to spread somewhat to the penguins too

Like west Palm Beach and carolina... even Denver those are lots of Pittsburgh fans living there

Why must I be Ladd? via da Tapatalk

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:

You also have a Cubs team that's off to a historic start.
People are fair weather, especially when it comes to hockey, and I honestly don't blame them.
Pittsburgh took it to the Sharks, and the only reason it was close is because Jones was playing out of his skates for the Sharks.

Golden State being in the Finals also probably hurt the Sharks in their own market.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wasn't that into this year's finals match up, which is for me in any sport the thing that will get me interested.
I really enjoyed the Boston vs Vancouver match up a couple years ago. As much as I hate the Blues, had they made the finals I probably would have watched. Had they won, the TV would have been turned off instanly...not interested in seeing them celebrate.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Being in PDX even I watched some of the finals. The last game was a good one. Too bad the Sharks couldn't hit the broadside of both Mike and Molly otherwise they'd have forced a game 7.

I think the thing is that it takes more than a casual fan to watch and get interested in non-team games--even the finals. I that respect I think you just have to give it some time--it's only been about 7 years since the 'hawks were finally relevant again and it's going to be the younger kids/teens that are going to become more-than-casual fans, not their parents that jump on the bandwagon.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Well there was a Jimmy Kimmel bit of going to people out in LA saying hey how bout that kings cup win last night. People even wearing kings jerseys didn't know the reality of the kings being out months ago abd penguins winning.

Maybe they think they're the only team that wears black. More reason to bring the purple back

Why must I be Ladd? via da Tapatalk