Close
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Crystallas View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    R7 360 is a reworked 7850 IIRC. Would be a pretty useless upgrade.
    in the grand scheme of things, youre probably correct. I ordered it anyway. going by those fabled benchmarks, its 112% better than the hd 7750 and i want to see what that means in real world on this set up. i like that r9 280 i used, when it wasnt acting a fool, it wasnt bad. i know its nearly 50% more powerful than the r7 360.. but eh..

regardless, the r7 will still be better than the piece of shat in my old rig... i never cared about ultra 1080p, rather that it would just play at a playable fps for me. constantly watching peoples reviews and numbers probably got into my head though, it made me want 1080p ultra, but to be honest, after fucking around with the hd7750 on bf1 @ 720p ultra and 900p low.. it made me think again..@ 900p on low it plays pretty well and looks decent.. kudos to dice for sure..... a big upgrade will come eventually..

plus, 50 bucks is basically mcdonalds for 4 here.. At the same time, if it performs well enough im going to keep it for awhile. Im in search of a oem HP 600w replacement for the 475w z400 i have now, that'll open things up for me. I thought about adding an adapter and just getting some aftermarket psu, but im not sure about using those adaptors on the oem board for 24/7 use. i saw a 600w awhile back on ebay.. hopefully i dont have to wait very long

1050 ti is about 250+ here and at that price id rather get a rx 470 @ 289, but im like if im spending 289, id rather just go $389 for the 8gb rx 480 gtr. BUT power requirements start to come into play.. i could underclock the 480, but it would defeat the purpose of having it.. so rather than go for want at this time, im buying on need in a sense. Plus new cards are about to drop.. who knows what thatll mean for me..

Also, im not upgrading from 1080p 60 hz to 1440 144 etc.. for now.. so it may be a waste for my system in a sense atm.

2. A message from our sponsors.

Please Register(it's free!) and Login to get rid of this advertisement.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

also i can crossfire/sli with this board... its another reason i want that 600w psu.. just more options.. there was a pair of 660tis on ebay the other day that went for cheap.. so who knows what im going to do with this thing.. i like this office box.. im committed for sure..

Sports Logo Sports Logo

8370s are faster, but you could line up some bin variance that gets better scores, I suppose. That is an oddity for sure. Maybe the user submitted results were from people who put together OC rigs(even without OCs w/ bench on good motherboards) seeing how it was the most popular AMD OC CPU for about 2 years. Benched both categories and the 8370 users didn't fine tune and that was that. Sometimes you even get fanboys that like to fuck about, see grandma got this new HP to use on facebook, setup passmark scores and that's not close to what you would build. AMD CPUs are far more user optimized than manufacturer optimized than Intel, so discrepancies galore.

I remember when Barton-M Athlon XP 2600+s were the cats meow, because they were cheaper and faster than the Barton Athlon XP 3200+. Same with Williamette Pentium 4s at 1.4GHz and a high ass price being slower than last gen 1.133GHz Coppermines. But I don't think this one is the same, I know the 8370s are faster, best bin for best bin because it's the same damn thing from the same wafers selected to be sold with a higher stock clock.
    Won a bid on a 8350 for $125. Couldn't justify the extra $64 for 100 Mhz of turbo clock on the 8370, especially since it's just going to be a holdover until Zen is a little more refined - assuming it lives up to its hype.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
    Won a bid on a 8350 for $125. Couldn't justify the extra $64 for 100 Mhz extra of turbo clock on the 8370, especially since it's just going to be a holdover until Zen is a little more refined - assuming it lives up to its hype.
    do you already have the board and the rest.. or do you have to buy those too..

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by AussieBear View Post
    do you already have the board and the rest.. or do you have to buy those too..
    Yeah, already have an AM3+ mobo running my old phenom, so just an easy swap. Won't have to update BIOS for the 8350 either, unlike the 8370

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wintermute For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, already have an AM3+ mobo running my old phenom, so just an easy swap. Won't have to update BIOS for the 8350 either, unlike the 8370
    thats a plus... you planning to oc or just run stock

Sports Logo Sports Logo

got the r7 360.. that lil fucker is decent with this cpu.. @ stock it runs bf1 @ 900p on high 45-55 fps ( hits 60 fps depending on the map) 1080p low.. 50-60 fps... med... 38-45...high is a playable 30-40.. ultra on 1080p is 27-35.. definitely worth 50 bucks AUD..

Sports Logo Sports Logo

thats a plus... you planning to oc or just run stock
    Gonna run stock at first. Would like to see real world improvements in Doom IV first. Might crank it up a bit on air then. May give me an excuse to finally step into the 90's and get a water cooler for more.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

got the r7 360.. that lil fucker is decent with this cpu.. @ stock it runs bf1 @ 900p on high 45-55 fps ( hits 60 fps depending on the map) 1080p low.. 50-60 fps... med... 38-45...high is a playable 30-40.. ultra on 1080p is 27-35.. definitely worth 50 bucks AUD..
    Can't beat price/performance.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

8370s are faster, but you could line up some bin variance that gets better scores, I suppose. That is an oddity for sure. Maybe the user submitted results were from people who put together OC rigs(even without OCs w/ bench on good motherboards) seeing how it was the most popular AMD OC CPU for about 2 years. Benched both categories and the 8370 users didn't fine tune and that was that. Sometimes you even get fanboys that like to fuck about, see grandma got this new HP to use on facebook, setup passmark scores and that's not close to what you would build. AMD CPUs are far more user optimized than manufacturer optimized than Intel, so discrepancies galore.

I remember when Barton-M Athlon XP 2600+s were the cats meow, because they were cheaper and faster than the Barton Athlon XP 3200+. Same with Williamette Pentium 4s at 1.4GHz and a high ass price being slower than last gen 1.133GHz Coppermines. But I don't think this one is the same, I know the 8370s are faster, best bin for best bin because it's the same damn thing from the same wafers selected to be sold with a higher stock clock.
    It appears you are exactly correct. Looked a little deeper and some of the recently submitted results were most definitely above stock speeds. Add to the fact the 8350 is pulling from a sample size of 10,000 chips, VS. only 400 or so of the 8370's.

Now having said that, I just ran passmark and scored above average (yay) at stock. Now what really surprised was how cool this CPU is running at idle and during a few benches - hovering around 28C on my Zalman CNPS9700. Did not expect that with an AMD chip, given my phenom II x4 980 ran 38C on idle. Was even worried when I mounted the fan I used too much thermal paste (I usual use the "grain of rice" method), but it seems I used exactly the correct amount. On the downside it only made it up to 4.09 in turbo. Hrmmm...

ANYWAY. Still happy with this system, even if it is an antique by tech standards. It's running Doom IV perfectly so I'm happy.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

It appears you are exactly correct. Looked a little deeper and some of the recently submitted results were most definitely above stock speeds. Add to the fact the 8350 is pulling from a sample size of 10,000 chips, VS. only 400 or so of the 8370's.

Now having said that, I just ran passmark and scored above average (yay) at stock. Now what really surprised was how cool this CPU is running at idle and during a few benches - hovering around 28C on my Zalman CNPS9700. Did not expect that with an AMD chip, given my phenom II x4 980 ran 38C on idle. Was even worried when I mounted the fan I used too much thermal paste (I usual use the "grain of rice" method), but it seems I used exactly the correct amount. On the downside it only made it up to 4.09 in turbo. Hrmmm...

ANYWAY. Still happy with this system, even if it is an antique by tech standards. It's running Doom IV perfectly so I'm happy.
    you oc that yet?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

sent the wife to hunt down a logitech g600 20 button mouse.. they are on sale here.. ive never bought a gaming mouse.. im fairly simple but im at that lazy point in my life where i need more buttons... hopefully they have some left

Sports Logo Sports Logo

sent the wife to hunt down a logitech g600 20 button mouse.. they are on sale here.. ive never bought a gaming mouse.. im fairly simple but im at that lazy point in my life where i need more buttons... hopefully they have some left
    leave it to eb to sale something they dont have... shit is not in stock.. so i ended up with a logitech g402... its gonna take some getting use to but its nice having extra buttons..

I just pulled trigger on HTC Vive on $100 off sale.

!!!

Raaawwwrrr!!!!!!!!!!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ytsejam For This Useful Post:

Come back and tell us what its like to play stuff in the virtual desktop mode or whatever.

Will do! Just got my tracking number. I am ready to visit the dinosaur zoo!

Micro Center is selling i7 6700K's for $260 through 12/1, plus another $30 off if you get a motherboard with it (in-store only). That's the best price you'll find, even accounting for sales tax.

My Vive seems great if I could get the display to work. Grr! Everything tracks, but I get the dreaded 208 error.
    I just want to play mini golf and pet dinosaurs!

that microcenter deal for a 6700k is looking pretty good. im debating whether i should sell my 6600k and go for one of those or just keep the 6600k since it pairs up fine with the 390. thing is the 6600k can bottleneck the new nvidia cards so if i upgrade the gpu in the future then ill have to live with that bottleneck or upgrade the cpu anyway. but the bottleneck is slight and only at 1080p, so it looks like upgrading the gpu is a good move.

but then theres the fact that a fury tri-x can be had for 250 bucks and it has pretty much caught up to the 980ti/1070 and is only a few fps behind most of the time at worse, and thats a hell of a deal for 250 bucks. but then i wonder if 4g vram, hbm or not, is worth it.

i think ill just wait until all the new shit is announced next year and see whats what. this rigs still pretty new and can run everything pretty much maxed out, so...

Sports Logo Sports Logo

you oc that yet?
    No. Some weird issues just popped up. Thinking I have a wonky PSU or failing mobo on my hands. Mother@#$%&$. I really didn't want to spring for any more components until well after Zen's release.

I should be getting a PSU tester in the mail tomorrow, so I'll know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Tirets View Post
    that microcenter deal for a 6700k is looking pretty good. im debating whether i should sell my 6600k and go for one of those or just keep the 6600k since it pairs up fine with the 390. thing is the 6600k can bottleneck the new nvidia cards so if i upgrade the gpu in the future then ill have to live with that bottleneck or upgrade the cpu anyway. but the bottleneck is slight and only at 1080p, so it looks like upgrading the gpu is a good move.

but then theres the fact that a fury tri-x can be had for 250 bucks and it has pretty much caught up to the 980ti/1070 and is only a few fps behind most of the time at worse, and thats a hell of a deal for 250 bucks. but then i wonder if 4g vram, hbm or not, is worth it.

i think ill just wait until all the new shit is announced next year and see whats what. this rigs still pretty new and can run everything pretty much maxed out, so...
    Nothing should really bottleneck a 6600K unless you're running Quad SLI. If fi you've got the 6600K I wouldn't upgrade to the 6700K, better to wait and see what Zen has to offer in January, then you could upgrade from four cores (and no HT) to 8 cores/16 threads with a Zen chip. That will serve you much better with core scaling in DX12 going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbeard View Post
    Nothing should really bottleneck a 6600K unless you're running Quad SLI. If fi you've got the 6600K I wouldn't upgrade to the 6700K, better to wait and see what Zen has to offer in January, then you could upgrade from four cores (and no HT) to 8 cores/16 threads with a Zen chip. That will serve you much better with core scaling in DX12 going forward.
    the 6600k does bottleneck the 1070 and higher cards in cpu intensive games... at 1080p. but its not a big deal, unless you are looking for a constant 120+ fps for a high refresh monitor. anyway, i definitely wont be upgrading to zen. i just built this pc less than a year ago and im not going to upgrade the mobo and cpu. if i do upgrade the itll be simply because it can be done for like 60 bucks after selling the 6600k and swapping in the 6700k. but i may very well stick with what i have for some time.

plus im not buying the zen hype. well see, but i wouldnt be surprised if their 6 core chips perform around intels 4c/8t i7s. and their 8 core chip, if its at all competitive wont come cheap. maybe cheaper than intel, but still 500+ imo.

26. A message from our sponsors.
    Please Register(it's free!) and Login to get rid of this advertisement.

Do you want to advertise with ChiCitySports?
    Ranked #1 Chicagoland sports news and message board online.
    A great opportunity for advertising and exposure, with an active base of fresh consumers always looking for sports-related items and miscellaneous "guy stuff".
    Please go here if you are interested in a multitude of placements on this site.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast