Hardware Discussion Thread

AussieBear

Crys runs one of those Counter Terrorism Units you would see in the show 24.... but its all cyber terrorism.... so like hes always building new machines on the fly to replace ones that terrorists shot up when they invaded the CTU.... and then hes gotta be writing super leet hacks to stop computer worms with seconds to spare before they cause all the nuclear power plants in America from melting down.

It's a pretty intense job

EDIT: I found a pic of Crys on duty the other week

7f4.jpg

ic..

my department has no records of his cyber super hero related occupationzz..

that helmet though.... dem n7 sam are pretty hush hush huh

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
ic..

my department has no records of his cyber super hero related occupationzz..

that helmet though.... dem n7 sam are pretty hush hush huh

All your plants are belong to us now

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
jesus.. what is it you do exactly.. you seem to cover all the bases in the computer tech world..

between you and bot.. lots of computer knowledge on the board.. and if i missed anyones pc knowledge.. fuck ya.. my brane memory aintz da best

Crystallis is like a legit engineer that brings that perspective of someone that knows something about the design end and takes frequent issue with the bullshit targeted at the consumer level.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's what I was thinking, but I have some sampler brown switches and they always felt "wobbly" when pressed, with inconsistent resistance if I didn't strike the key dead-on. That's why I was curious about the Razer oranges.

Just buy a keyboard with browns and return it if you don't like it maybe

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
HTC got my bad cable last Monday but customer service has no idea where my replacement is. So last night I bought one from Newegg for $40. When I eventually get my cable from HTC I'll return it to Newegg. Fuck! I won't be buying any more HTC products.

I got my cable from HTC, 17 days after they got mine.
Damn thing still doesn't work. Asshole from tech support the other night uninstalled Steam and all of my games.
Still doesn't work. More tech support Friday evening. Guy says we're still having "the issue" and the "call back guys" are going to call me between 12 and 9 to discuss "the issue". Well, the guy never did actually define "the issue" and I got email from support saying that they won't be calling until Monday.
At this point, "the issue" is how do I get a fucking refund?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just watched this. Thought I would post it here cause there is a lot if info but its short and direct and seems pretty free of hype.

[video=youtube;0Sh7nV-ePbg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sh7nV-ePbg[/video]

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here is a more in depth one from the most informed youtube channel that I've found:

[video=youtube;VLxPjoY6QgE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLxPjoY6QgE[/video]

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
like ive figured... if/when i do upgrade itll probably just be to a cheap 6700k. i thought of doing it now just because, but microcenter raised the price of the 6700k up to 300, so ill wait for it to come back down. but then again if vega shows that the cpu bottlenecks with pascal are exclusive to pascal then i might just stick with the 6600k.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It would be pretty cool to rock a 5+ GHz overclock tho

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
like ive figured... if/when i do upgrade itll probably just be to a cheap 6700k. i thought of doing it now just because, but microcenter raised the price of the 6700k up to 300, so ill wait for it to come back down. but then again if vega shows that the cpu bottlenecks with pascal are exclusive to pascal then i might just stick with the 6600k.

Going from 6600K to 6700K is paying $300+ to get four logical threads. That makes no sense, unless money is no object to you. And even if it isn't, you're probably not going to notice any real difference outside of synthetic benchmarks. Your "bottlenecking" issues are almost certainly software issues on certain games (the 6600K/GTX 1080 combo can run the Witcher 3 on Ultra without bottlenecking). You might as well wait for the Zen chips to come out, at least you'd be upgrading from 4C/4T to 6C/12T or 8C/16T.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:

fatbeard

Liked Posts:

At those clock speeds or better, Zen is going to be a very strong showing from AMD.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Ares wants to build a home server.... something that sits in a tower, not a fucking blade where I have to install a server rack to sit one fucking blade on it.

Budget of 1500-2000$

Put together a Newegg build, go.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Serving what? A "tower" server is better known as a server-class workstation.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Serving what?

The will of the Ares!

I want to do a handful of things with it regularly:

1. Host my private FTP site
2. Stream a private feed of my TV input to a small group 3-5 people max
3. Run video conversions
4. Run video editing/production

I intend to find other uses for it the longer I have it.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
The will of the Ares!

I want to do a handful of things with it regularly:

1. Host my private FTP site
2. Stream a private feed of my TV input to a small group 3-5 people max
3. Run video conversions
4. Run video editing/production

I intend to find other uses for it the longer I have it.

Linux, BSD, Windows, or Hackintosh? If you say all of the above, then you'll wind up with a shitty rig IMO.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
BTW, I'm still waiting on Naples before I replace my server. Or Purley, but I doubt Intel will have a good price point. Fun part about waiting on server hardware leaks and reviews, is wading through the morons who do gaming benchmarks on them and compare them to game systems. The other fun part, is getting honest reviews from people who KNOW how to build a server system like a server, and not a server system like their home-desktop.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
Going from 6600K to 6700K is paying $300+ to get four logical threads. That makes no sense, unless money is no object to you. And even if it isn't, you're probably not going to notice any real difference outside of synthetic benchmarks. Your "bottlenecking" issues are almost certainly software issues on certain games (the 6600K/GTX 1080 combo can run the Witcher 3 on Ultra without bottlenecking). You might as well wait for the Zen chips to come out, at least you'd be upgrading from 4C/4T to 6C/12T or 8C/16T.

microcenter sells the 6700k for as low as 279 and i can sell my 6600k for 200 bucks(which is exactly what i payed for it) and therefor upgrade for only 70 bucks. thats why i would do it. i have no interest in completely building a new system in order to go with zen, considering in games i doubt zen cpus will offer anything more. and i doubt zens 6 and 8 core chips arent going to be as cheap as people want to believe anyway.

and while i dont support either company over the other, i go with whatever offers the most for my money, i find it silly that people act as if intels slowdown in perforce improvements is due to a lack of effort on their part. its simply that improvements are hard to come by and they are reaching the extent of where they can go with cpu performance using the current tech. the idea that they simply arent trying is ridiculous. think about it. if they could put out something vastly superior why wouldnt they? considering in the past amd had nothing to offer and intel could charge whatever they wanted and people would pay it(considering they pay for the 1000 dollar extreme chips) and especially now with zen coming out, intel would love to release something that could take away any attention zen was getting by simply blowing it out of the water. the fact is that kabylake seems to simply be as far as things can go at this point.