Hardware Discussion Thread

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls

For a server? Then just build a 6700K/7700K system. 32gb of ram, and pick a board that has the drive access(ports and array configurations) you're comfortable with, then populate. There is nothing special that you gain with a xeon setup right now, and the ones that are a powerhouse in their own right, cost more as a single CPU than your entire budget.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
microcenter sells the 6700k for as low as 279 and i can sell my 6600k for 200 bucks(which is exactly what i payed for it) and therefor upgrade for only 70 bucks. thats why i would do it. i have no interest in completely building a new system in order to go with zen, considering in games i doubt zen cpus with offer anything more.

Microcenter is selling new i5 6600K's for $200, so I doubt you're going to be able to sell your used 6600K for $200. Maybe you'll find a sucker who'll pay more than $160 though. BTW, the price on the 6700K has gone up to $300 from $260 at Thanksgiving and $280 at Christmas. If you wanted a really cheap upgrade you've already somewhat missed your best shot.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
most people dont have microcenters nearby and used 6600ks regularly go for 200 on ebay. and the prices at microcenter fluctuate so like i said since the 6700 went up to 300 again ill wait for it to drop back down.

AussieBear

BTW, I'm still waiting on Naples before I replace my server. Or Purley, but I doubt Intel will have a good price point. Fun part about waiting on server hardware leaks and reviews, is wading through the morons who do gaming benchmarks on them and compare them to game systems. The other fun part, is getting honest reviews from people who KNOW how to build a server system like a server, and not a server system like their home-desktop.

i have two old workstations now..i wouldnt know how either would run as a server... as a home desktop, the 6 core is great for what i do.. havent rendered any 3d shat yet.. but for everything else i do, its nice.. no complaints at all.... only 12gb ram, but im thinking about bumping it to 24.. setting up a raid array once i find that 600w hp psu..

the 4 core is the kids.. he gets when he turns 5.. hes almost four... hes already asking for it... so thats good..

i got both for around 450-550 bucks once you factor in used gpus, 1156 mobo (ocing the kids x3470 when hes older) shipping.. could recoup around a 100-150 bucks if i sell both non used quadro cards in oz... yeah i need to remember to do that...

i wonder if something like my w3690 workstation would work for ares...they are cheap on ebay.. well mine was.. ive seen them for double triple what i paid on there..

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
A $70 upgrade is probably worth it if you want to keep that chip ~3-5 years.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
It's just such a weird concept to me, to make a budget server, an all-in-one multi capable machine. A server handles requests from outside the machine. These machines should be run headless. So doing it from windows just makes no sense whatsoever. You build multiple machines with multiple upgrade paths for about the same money. Get out of your comfort space and use the right operating system for the task. FTP serving on windows was never a great idea because it's far to resource intensive. A four year old system of midrange parts as a file server will be able to handle more requests than a one year old windows system of midrange parts. Build a NAS, use an RPi3B as the intermediary between file management and the interior network. Build a video enc/dec beast, run this machine in windows if you want for software familiarity. Network the NAS to the media server, and let the RPi run the FTP daemon headless. Doing it all from one system is just asking for bottlenecks, especially since NTFS is a shitty filesystem for high bandwidth applications, like file serving and caching whatever video content.

So things that come into play, are your network configuration skills. If someone doesn't like doing network setup(the non-automated kind) they almost never want to build the LAN itself.

Then the other would be command line interfacing to reduce the amount of graphics power needed for luxuries, thus going headless. If someone does not like the idea of eliminating the mouse, and needing elaborate menus, etc, then you need the computational power to drive the GUI, all which add cost, power, and maintenance. You could setup in a live environment, and save configs, then go headless.

Or I'm just getting trolled. Like someone asking how to make a good fishing helicopter for $10k that needs to seat 10 people and not scare all the fish off when hovering over the lake.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It's just such a weird concept to me, to make a budget server, an all-in-one multi capable machine. A server handles requests from outside the machine. These machines should be run headless. So doing it from windows just makes no sense whatsoever. You build multiple machines with multiple upgrade paths for about the same money. Get out of your comfort space and use the right operating system for the task. FTP serving on windows was never a great idea because it's far to resource intensive. A four year old system of midrange parts as a file server will be able to handle more requests than a one year old windows system of midrange parts. Build a NAS, use an RPi3B as the intermediary between file management and the interior network. Build a video enc/dec beast, run this machine in windows if you want for software familiarity. Network the NAS to the media server, and let the RPi run the FTP daemon headless. Doing it all from one system is just asking for bottlenecks, especially since NTFS is a shitty filesystem for high bandwidth applications, like file serving and caching whatever video content.

So things that come into play, are your network configuration skills. If someone doesn't like doing network setup(the non-automated kind) they almost never want to build the LAN itself.

Then the other would be command line interfacing to reduce the amount of graphics power needed for luxuries, thus going headless. If someone does not like the idea of eliminating the mouse, and needing elaborate menus, etc, then you need the computational power to drive the GUI, all which add cost, power, and maintenance. You could setup in a live environment, and save configs, then go headless.

Or I'm just getting trolled. Like someone asking how to make a good fishing helicopter for $10k that needs to seat 10 people and not scare all the fish off when hovering over the lake.

I think you might be grossly overthinking what I am trying to do lol

Nothing I am doing is on a large scale, I just want to be able to do things fast and easily handle the tasks in parallel.

Windows is all I use, work and home.... I am not trying to build an enterprise level anything and I certainly aint gonna go into a different OS to run an FTP I use for friends/family or a video stream I use for friends/family.

Make no mistakes, I am going to go with what is easy for me.... I get you work with and build everything, but sometimes you gotta take a step back and be realistic about what other people are trying to accomplish.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Right, so you just need a computer, and plan on doing things with it, the way people used to use their computers not all that long ago. You want to host the content, and not a cloud provider. You want to do more than just play games and watch netflix/youtube/social media. Just build an i7 desktop, have separate drives for storage and OS. Boom. *cough* windows would not do most of those tasks better still, even as a know-nothing about linux home user(because linux is actually easier than windows for these things). But fine fine, I said my piece. LOL

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Right, so you just need a computer, and plan on doing things with it, the way people used to use their computers not all that long ago. You want to host the content, and not a cloud provider. You want to do more than just play games and watch netflix/youtube/social media. Just build an i7 desktop, have separate drives for storage and OS. Boom. *cough* windows would not do most of those tasks better still, even as a know-nothing about linux home user(because linux is actually easier than windows for these things). But fine fine, I said my piece. LOL

Oh god can we not go into the "Omg do you even Linux bro?"

I get it, I'm not building an enterprise server or using cloud hosting.... I'm not doing what you would do.... shockingly we are not all you Crys.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Seriously, I'm just trying to help(and give you a hard time all in one motion). But in due time, you'll come around ;) 40-60% performance increases on the same hardware for most of your criteria is worthy of some persistence.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
A $70 upgrade is probably worth it if you want to keep that chip ~3-5 years.

yeah, thats why ill probably do it eventually. but at the same time, if i just keep the 6600k for another year or so then microcenter will be selling the 7700k for 270.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, my vid card was fucked up, showing the Vive as DVI when plugged into HDMI, not allowing resoultion high enough for display to work.
Fuck it. I got ASUS 1080, which runs MUCH cooler by the way.
Now the Vive works, reinstalling Steam app and games now.

Fuck you guys! I'm going to the dinosaur zoo!
Raaawwwrrr!!!

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
yeah, thats why ill probably do it eventually. but at the same time, if i just keep the 6600k for another year or so then microcenter will be selling the 7700k for 270.

But then you 6600K might not be worth as much

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
But then you 6600K might not be worth as much

good point.

though even 4690ks are still selling for around 200 bucks. theres one on ebay right now with a current bid of 185 and it still has 2 days left to go.

i guess it all depends on whether or not i feel i really need a cpu upgrade when the 6700k price drops again.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I got a 4690K with a mobo and 16 gigs ram on hardwareswap for $160

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:

thats a good deal. guess a lot of people dont use or know about hardware swap. plus i wonder how much hardware on ebay is going out of the us were even at 200 bucks + shipping they are spending a lot less than they would if they bought it new in their country.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
most people dont have microcenters nearby and used 6600ks regularly go for 200 on ebay. and the prices at microcenter fluctuate so like i said since the 6700 went up to 300 again ill wait for it to drop back down.

Its true that Ebay is basically fucking bullshit. You can usually get within 5-10% of new shit. Especially if you write a thorough description that shows you are a competent person.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls

Shit, you'd have to be an idiot not to put that to good use. Nice fucking find.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
thats a good deal. guess a lot of people dont use or know about hardware swap. plus i wonder how much hardware on ebay is going out of the us were even at 200 bucks + shipping they are spending a lot less than they would if they bought it new in their country.

Yeah, I buy all used shit on hardwareswap and sell all my used shit on Ebay.

That deal I got is pretty standard on hardwareswap, except for the ram. But 4690k + mobo combos go $160-180 pretty regularly. I have been watching it a lot because I have been buying hardware for a high school class.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fuck, my bad. I lied. It was $260. I'm a moron.