Close
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Quote Originally Posted by Crystallas View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GPUs help.

1080 is the best for video editing without going full pro or niche, 1070s and 580s are good for encoding as well(relative performancerice). 1060s also are okay.

BTW, everything is jacked up because of hashing power for non-gaming right now. Hashing cryptocurrencies, hashing general encryption, and scientific hashing.

Threadripper is almost out, which is a nice CPU as well for the same usecase you're looking at. But who knows if those will be in stock or hard to come by. The moment people say PC hardware is dying, it just makes a massive resurgence. So the whole market is a bit out of whack.
    Lol I was gonna try to cheap out on the GPU since it's not a gaming rig.... apparently not so much if im getting a 1080 lol

2. A message from our sponsors.

Please Register(it's free!) and Login to get rid of this advertisement.

Sorry Aussie, this aint gonna be a cheap machine... I was only looking to skimp on the GPU if it made sense, but obviously it doesn't.

I may sink 3,000$ into this rig.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Sorry Aussie, this aint gonna be a cheap machine... I was only looking to skimp on the GPU if it made sense, but obviously it doesn't.

I may sink 3,000$ into this rig.
    but but but dat 444.99 rig be like 3 grand in 2013... depreciation be a bitch yo...

dropping used car money on a pc... ... gl mane...

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Are sounds cards obsolete? Yay or nay?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
    Are sounds cards obsolete? Yay or nay?
    Not obsolete. The basic facts are, sound cards simply have longer lifespans than nearly every component in a standard PC. Onboard AC97 codecs sound good and are super cheap. The bulk of the market was Creative for a while, and they made shit drivers and turned people off of soundcards. The alternatives didn't have EAX and xfi standard performance improvements, so people would compare something like an Asus card of the same price as the value SB cards and see no gaming performance improvements over onboard. Therefore gamers gave up. However, any serious multimedia PC, home theater build, audiophile system, or simply a musician(pro or hobbyist) still bought new sound cards or carried over old ones.

Creative tries to drum up support every so often, but the fact remains, they CLAIM to have commitment to great drivers, but wind up having serious stability issues.

I have a Xonar DX in my fun rig, and sound is better for sure. I have better cards, but those are more for niche purposes. For most people, I would say you're better off putting $50-150 towards a better GPU/CPU/Memory/SSD, or better headphones+amp. Why I like the Xonar 7.1, upgraded sound of course, but it's about 10 years old and STILL near the top of the line, so for someone that upgrades every 1-2 years, not bad. Probably going to upgrade or mod the card at some point.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Crystallas For This Useful Post:

Really awkward time to upgrade graphics cards/monitors right now. When I built my 7700K comp a few months ago, I was planning on moving from 1080p 60Hz up to 1440p 144Hz GSync/Freesync, targeting a GTX 1070/1080 or Vega. But with graphics card prices still sky-high, and having just bought a house + bathroom reno + asbestos abatement, I couldn't justify dropping another ~$1250 on a new monitor/graphics card combo. Plus, with the next round of monitor tech on the horizon, it didn't seem like a good time to upgrade the monitor anyway. Decided to stick with 1080p gaming for another two years until we have a second income, and I think I was fairly lucky to snag a GTX 1060 6GB for $228 at Micro Center yesterday (open box discount from $285). My GTX 770 was four years old and definitely showing its age. If i can move it for $100-$150 on craigslist, I think I'll have done pretty well.

You're not wrong.

Everyone is pushing out these optimized architectures on 14nm, which allows more dies per wafer. Yields are fantastic on the GPUs. HBM/2 is a little wonky, but still not far off traditional yields.

Yet, coin miners swallowed everything whole all of a sudden. E-sports gamers in Asia decided to go full-upgrade mode recently. Prices are fucked.

I wish we had more competition in the GPU space. Even when S3 was the last 3rd option in the PCIe era, it was on par for the price range and would help out in times like this.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Miners have absolutely fucked everything. Vega is the current holy grail for mining which is going to make it near impossible to even get one unless you're willing to buy one of these launch gamer packages where they force feed you two games along with the card. I still gotta sell my waterblocked 295X2. Been dragging on putting that up on eBay. Its looking like I am just going to wait for Volta / Navi and pick the king of the two while sticking my water cooled GTX 1080 into the 16 core Threadripper build when it happens. Funnel that would be GPU money towards NVMe storage instead. Daddy wants retarded fast OS performance.

Quote Originally Posted by xer0h0ur View Post
    Miners have absolutely fucked everything. Vega is the current holy grail for mining which is going to make it near impossible to even get one unless you're willing to buy one of these launch gamer packages where they force feed you two games along with the card. I still gotta sell my waterblocked 295X2. Been dragging on putting that up on eBay. Its looking like I am just going to wait for Volta / Navi and pick the king of the two while sticking my water cooled GTX 1080 into the 16 core Threadripper build when it happens. Funnel that would be GPU money towards NVMe storage instead. Daddy wants retarded fast OS performance.
    It's not just Vega, it's all the AMD cards. They all mine better than Nvidia so finding one at a reasonable price is a veritable unicorn hunt. I haven't seen an Rx 580 that wasn't marked up at least 50-75%. The markup on the secondary market is even worse, and you know you're getting something that some miner has already put through the ringer.

Have any of you tried your hand at bitcoin mining?

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Have any of you tried your hand at bitcoin mining?
    Yep. I'm close to the first phase, been using it since late 2010 and was mining from 2011 to 2013 (with a few curiosity tests after, but not as a full time miner). The tech side is a great discussion, but cryptocurrency talk always derailed by someone who wants to discuss the investment side of it, which is barely anything.

Fuck, I still use my pc that I built back in 2010 lmao. AMD 6 core 1090t black edition was the bees knees when I built my rig. 7 years later and it still runs everything I wanna do. But I still should upgrade, been getting the building bug lately.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

got my 1080 for 415 bucks, so im pretty happy with that... especially seeing as vega 64 is at best on par. im good with my 7700k/ gtx 1080 rig for1080p gaming for the foreseeable future.

16. A message from our sponsors.
    Please Register(it's free!) and Login to get rid of this advertisement.

Do you want to advertise with ChiCitySports?
    Ranked #1 Chicagoland sports news and message board online.
    A great opportunity for advertising and exposure, with an active base of fresh consumers always looking for sports-related items and miscellaneous "guy stuff".
    Please go here if you are interested in a multitude of placements on this site.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678