Hardware Discussion Thread

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Uh, those are options too. I'm saying if you're doing the cabinet(which is fine, they last forever if planned right), make the first system more versatile than just a 1U or blade. Rack cases support different formfactors, and my suggestion was that you use something that gives you the most flexibility. Like an EATX supermicro case.

And when I say case, the thing that slides into the rack is also a case.

Makes sense, I guess I'm just trying to confirm.... that "most flexibility" notion.... are you talking flexibility within the rack/cabinet or flexibility to operate it outside a rack?

I am assuming the former now, I had been assuming the latter.

Keep in mind this will be my first time owning/operating a rack/cabinet.... all other machines I have built were just desktops in mid/full tower cases.

I have no experience with any struggles that might be entailed with managing blades within a rack/cabinet.

Sounds like it can become a headache.... hence you suggesting a "flexible" first build to mount in the rack.

This is not your fault, I am just trying to make sure I understand your meaning.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Flexibility to use the most amount of hardware. So it would be all of the above, although running an EATX system in a tower requires an EATX supporting tower, so you're still committed one way or the other.

If this weren't your first actual server hardware rack build, then you might do something else. But that is where you will get into the chicken:egg problem. You can't afford to not go with a flexible configuration now, but later when you know beyond theory what you want to do, you *might* be able to pull off certain space-saver builds and make perfect sense out of it. In a home, rackspace is cheap, so I go with 4U-6U systems. Smallest items are power conditioners (1U) and switches (1U). I don't bother with anything smaller because it's simply easier to add some rack brackets somewhere else in the house and run another system because it takes quite a while until you start reaching capacity(to the point where it looks like clutter). In an office/warehouse/farm environment, the opposite is true.

12U is a pretty good starter. Just remember, the more shit is spinning and more circuits are buzzing, the louder that cabinet gets. One cool thing, for years I used a minicab from an early DEC PDP system. It was lime green on the outside with doors. Rack standards are 60+ years old, so you can find some awesome tech lore in used cabinetry. I still find purple Sun Micro cabs at dirt prices and in perfect condition from time to time sitting dead in warehouses, which are a bit more of a project, but just some food for thought if you're into vintage tech and restomodding(new guts in a classic shell).

Okay, let's try this method instead. Easy mode. Pick your motherboard, cpus, and cooling. From there see what case it fits in, PSU and you'll see exactly what you really should start with, size-wise.

How do you know what CPUs you need, well, calculate performance needs. Seems like a lot of work, but it isn't. Once you get an idea of what you want, it's easier to build what you need. SAME like a desktop, just more parts.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I have been looking at NAS blades... I want a nice sized storage RAID and it feels like the way server rack/blades are built you are better off doing large storage in a NAS separate from a server you have for a specific purpose.

Like if I want a server with some level of computing power for say video editing/production.

Build the blade that does that.... give it enough storage locally to operate, but for any large/long term storage you just hookup with the NAS and either hand off large files to the NAS or just use network storage instead of using local storage.

One common thread... all of this stuff is expensive.... I need to decide what I want and then keep an eye out for deals.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
I bought a gamepad today. Analog control, vibration, triggers...seemed like it might be fun.

Now I'm wondering how the fuck people play on these things.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
I bought a gamepad today. Analog control, vibration, triggers...seemed like it might be fun.

Now I'm wondering how the fuck people play on these things.

ive always been a console and pc gamer since i was a kid in the 80s, so controller and mouse/keyboard both feel right at home with me. though i havent had a console since the 360 and im primarily play on the pc nowadays, i do like sitting back at the pc with a controller in hand. its the best of both worlds. but i only do it with 3rd person action games and/or console ports that were designed with a control in mind. i wouldnt try to play a fps(or anything that a requires a lot aiming) on pc with a controller.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
ARPGs, RTS and Turn based, FPS, Sim games are KB/M for me. But controllers are nice too. Platformers are way better with a proper d-pad and 3rd person adventures are a mixed bag.

The problem is, a keyboard is switch actuation(either the switch is in the on of off position), where controllers have analog pressure inputs and thubsticks as well. It's better to have both and use both systems for the right games. Just like playing a flight sim without a flight stick is kind of meh.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
I was looking to kick back and stretch a bum knee out. Witcher 3 was okay, Mass Effect: Andromeda was a complete disaster. Me aiming is like a newborn deer walking...

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
I was looking to kick back and stretch a bum knee out. Witcher 3 was okay, Mass Effect: Andromeda was a complete disaster. Me aiming is like a newborn deer walking...

Andromeda would be a disaster regardless. lol

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Bought four Micron 5200s for legit performance and production storage. Will Run in raid0 on XFS to replace PM863 drives(basically the ultra high reliability version of Samsung 850s) and skip mirroring because irreplaceable file storage is just as good locally on the home server for backups. <3 the fact that enterprise SSDs are dropping in price FINALLY. Now if only motherboards started rolling out with 4+ m.2 w/ full R0/1/5/6 support.

Mitchapalooza

Finally built another computer that I desperately needed. Last time I built one was the end of 2010. Nothing flashy just something that will last me for a bit and will be able to handle what I need out of it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x 8 Core w/ Wraith Prism LED heatsink

GPU: GeForce GTX 1050 2GB

MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING ATX

RAM: 8 GBs DDR4

STORAGE: 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD (old one from previous PC)

CASE: Cooler Master HAF Lan Box

If anyone is thinking of building, look at the Cooler Master HAF Lan Box, it's not a tower but it has great air flow and plenty of space. I love it.

I'll eventually upgrade to 16 GB of RAM

Mitchapalooza

Nice build. And good you recognize that 8GB totally bottlenecks your build.
Yeah. Last time I built a pc 4gb was the meta lmao. Now 16 seems to be the common thing.

edit: just ordered 8GB more off amazon. Free one day shipping with prime. It'll be here tomorrow. Goddam I love Amazon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Yeah. Last time I built a pc 4gb was the meta lmao. Now 16 seems to be the common thing.

edit: just ordered 8GB more off amazon. Free one day shipping with prime. It'll be here tomorrow. Goddam I love Amazon.

Sweet. Yeah, 8gb in 2018 can even bottleneck Chrome if you use a bunch of tabs. Funny how all those trackers, websockets, and adverts use up 80% of resources, when content uses next to nothing.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah I would say at this point, 16 needs to be the default line.... I am looking for 32 on my next machine.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Yeah I would say at this point, 16 needs to be the default line.... I am looking for 32 on my next machine.
How much does 16 GB of DDR4 RAM cost how a days?

Mitchapalooza

Sweet. Yeah, 8gb in 2018 can even bottleneck Chrome if you use a bunch of tabs. Funny how all those trackers, websockets, and adverts use up 80% of resources, when content uses next to nothing.
What do you suggest for a browser if not chrome? I like chromes design but everyone mentions it's a CPU hog.

edit: Seems Firefox got overhauled. Seems promising again.

Last edited by a moderator: