James Shields heading to White Sox in trade

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
So Brett do we still need to wait three years to criticize the regimes move for shield lol lol

I knew this move would be bad but didn't think it would be epic danks bad fuckscicles

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Shields just needs to be the #3 guy. He had an era this year outside of his last start of 3.06

He's a solid pitcher that immediately improves the bullpen by having a third starter that can go 7.

Plus the money cost is zilch. There is no negative to this move.

:lmao:

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Sox fans act like they have this big tradition of winning. The Sox have one fucking championship. Never won a playoff game before that and haven't won one since. That's some kind of winning....no wonder nobody cares about them. That's the poster child for catching lightning in a bottle.

That's a whole lot of dumb. They never won a playoff game before or after their "one" championship? That's the trifecta of wrong.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well on his way, four runs in and nobody out in the 1st. Where's The Hawk? That's your guy, Hawk. :hawked:

It all depends if his arm is sound or not. Pitchers get into slumps just like hitters do. We will see what happens.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It all depends if his arm is sound or not. Pitchers get into slumps just like hitters do. We will see what happens.

This doesn't look like a slump.

Shields looks like he embraced the "bro-ville" that is San Diego, and is going to collect 20 million a season pitching in AAA for the White Sox.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:

How does any ML pitcher go through this bad of a slump? Latos got released and did a lot better

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And why are we stuck with any leftover parts of the hot potato?

Mr. Bates

Liked Posts:
1) EJ has like an 8.44 ERA for the Padres.
2) You didn't know anything

Yes, Shields is hot garbage.

The problem isn't how what we gave up is performing. The problem is that what we gave up cost nothing.

Instead, we took this shithead (Shields) on, paid him $5M on top of the $18M we already ate to DFA Danks/Latos...(plus 2 guys) he's 34 and he looks DONE. Look at that last Boston game. He was gassed in the 4th, and in the 5th...he was 3-2 count on just about every batter.

Comes into the 6th and walks Ortiz and Robin leaves him in to: WALK the replacement for Chris Young.

Control was shit, velocity dropped. No slider the entire game.

$23M on Danks/Latos/Shields

Latos won 5 games. Danks/Shields won 1 (combined) - thanks to a shitty, Detroit bullpen and extra innings.

And still - here we are - DESPERATE for another OF bat. Preferably that hits righties.

Exactly where we started the season. BIGGEST NEED.

$14M gift from LaRoache quitting and what do we do?

Turn a low priority, back of the rotation starter from a $15M problem into $50M, 2 years of commitment, and still no bat for RHP.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
The problem isn't how what we gave up is performing. The problem is that what we gave up cost nothing.

Instead, we took this (him) (Shields) on, paid him $5M on top of the $18M we already ate to DFA Danks/Latos...(plus 2 guys) he's 34 and he looks DONE. Look at that last Boston game. He was gassed in the 4th, and in the 5th...he was 3-2 count on just about every batter.

Comes into the 6th and walks Ortiz and Robin leaves him in to: WALK the replacement for Chris Young.

Control was shit, velocity dropped. No slider the entire game.

$23M on Danks/Latos/Shields

Latos won 5 games. Danks/Shields won 1 (combined) - thanks to a shitty, Detroit bullpen and extra innings.

And still - here we are - DESPERATE for another OF bat. Preferably that hits righties.

Exactly where we started the season. BIGGEST NEED.

$14M gift from LaRoache quitting and what do we do?

Turn a low priority, back of the rotation starter from a $15M problem into $50M, 2 years of commitment, and still no bat for RHP.

OK, you have a math issue here.

First Latos easily paid for his salary just in the month of April and then some. Yes we ate money with Danks, but gained 80% of that with LaRoche. Shields is a mess right now, but for $5 million and if all he is for right now the guy from his last start that's a wash. Shields would need to give us the value of a 1.0 WAR player the next two years for his remaining dollars. Not a lot to ask for and something I am hopeful Cooper can address. It's worth the risk.

The issue really isn't a LH bat. It's really not. You got way too many guys on the team now not playing to their career norms. That's the biggest issue for me.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
How does any ML pitcher go through this bad of a slump? Latos got released and did a lot better

Cooper is working on his mechanics particularly his lower body. Also, he pitched pretty well for the Padres except for his last outing with them when he blew up and so did the GM:)

Mr. Bates

Liked Posts:
What's the over/under on IP tonight? Let's say 6 IP. My guess is UNDER.

Also for ER - Can he stay under 6? I'll guess OVER.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What's the over/under on IP tonight? Let's say 6 IP. My guess is UNDER.

Also for ER - Can he stay under 6? I'll guess OVER.

I'm feeling optimistic about Shields tonight after seeing some signs, and looking deeper into the last 2 months with the Padres to appease Chicitysox and the Cawk.

Shields started the year with an elevated ERA, but was bringing down under 4 about the time his mechanics blew up. He was losing 3/4 games because the Padres don't score at all really. 3-0, 4-2, stuff like that.

I'm going to do a 180 and say I have seen signs Shields is pitching again. I mean...his 3-5 fluctuating era in the NL is not that great, where those numbers would have been ok in the A.L.

I think he is going to win tonight, and go on a little improvement stretch!! Sox going to rally and sit solidly in second at the break!! lets do this!!If we do that, we will be a positive player at the trade deadline, or should be with two aces on the staff...

just get this team to the playoffs, where we can pitch Sale in a do or die game. Nobody wants to face that around the league.

Mr. Bates

Liked Posts:
It would really be a thing if Shields could manage to fix himself. Here's to hoping he can, and the rest of your post becoming reality! :beer:

Mr. Bates

Liked Posts:
I wish Robin would've left him in. 6.2 with a guy on 2nd and a 8-1 lead.

Let him give up another 5....who gives a shit. Complete a game.

On a side note - I can't imagine what Q must be thinking watching his team get 8 for Shields and 0 for him. Over and over and over....

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
#calledit

I did look at lines this morning and remember making up my mind it might be his day at that time. Now I remember....Minnesota...it wasn't rocket science, thought this was his day at home and showing signs recently he remembers how to get outs.

But hey, you gotta start success somewhere. 6.2 and 1 run shows promise. Lets string 2 or 3 games Shields!! Goat to savior, I see it.

Mr. Bates

Liked Posts:
Robin is a disaster.

I just....I'm so AMAZED he pulled him.

Why? 8-1. 7th inning with 2 outs; man on 2nd. Under 100 pitches.... He was actually better in his later innings too not letting men on.

But he pulls him: And then...burns 5 guys from thte bullpen and damn near loses.

WTF?

James Shields cost us 22 BP appearances in 3 starts - 21 of them actual pitchers; the other JB Shuck. He's FINALLY throwing and he has a 7 run cushion in the "almost" 8th inning. But he pulls him....

Why??????

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Robin is a disaster.

I just....I'm so AMAZED he pulled him.

Why? 8-1. 7th inning with 2 outs; man on 2nd. Under 100 pitches.... He was actually better in his later innings too not letting men on.

But he pulls him: And then...burns 5 guys from thte bullpen and damn near loses.

WTF?

James Shields cost us 22 BP appearances in 3 starts - 21 of them actual pitchers; the other JB Shuck. He's FINALLY throwing and he has a 7 run cushion in the "almost" 8th inning. But he pulls him....

Why??????

Normally I would agree with you, but I think the desperation to get Shields a good experience and a positive note led the decision. I agree. He has had a rough stretch, get him out of there with a fantastic line and we can save complete game heroics for another day.

We won the game, 5 relievers or not. And Shields got the win.

Tomorrow we play at .500, are we winners or losers? Need a bounce back from Rodon, lets go.

Mr. Bates

Liked Posts:
The good experience would be to keep him going. He was doing fine.

Now Rodon (NOT a 34 year old earning gigantic $) will have to go 7+ because...

Robin.

If Rodon can't stretch things right to Robertson, we'll be in deep shit.

AGAIN.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The good experience would be to keep him going. He was doing fine.

Now Rodon (NOT a 34 year old earning gigantic $) will have to go 7+ because...

Robin.

If Rodon can't stretch things right to Robertson, we'll be in deep shit.

AGAIN.

Is that Ventura's fault the lower tier relievers couldn't do their job and get an out in the 9th? He asked them to pick up 2.1 innings, because he didn't want to see Shields give up a run to end his day. They couldn't do it, not Ventura. But I can see thats a deeply sensitive issue, I have no opinion on Ventura. Axe away for all I care, he doesn't really do anything positive for me.