James Shields heading to White Sox in trade

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Chicago White Sox have traded for starting pitcher James Shields, sending the San Diego Padres starter Erik Johnson and minor league shortstop Fernando Tatis Jr.

[FONT=&quot]Shields has been up and down this season, posting a 2-7 record with a 4.28 ERA. He most recently allowed 10 runs over just 2 2/3 innings in a loss to the [/FONT]Seattle Mariners[FONT=&quot] on Tuesday. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Shields clearly fell out of favor even before Tuesday's terrible outing, but that outing was the final straw. In fact, Shields was roundly criticized during top executive [/FONT]
Ron Fowler's now infamous rant[FONT=&quot]., with Fowler calling Shields' outing an embarrassment to the team and Shields himself. [/FONT]

Link

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
This has Kenny Williams written all over it. Looks like another garpax type front office lol

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Yeah, clearly a desparation move by the Sox front office. They didn't give up much to get Shields, so no big loss if he sucks. Still, we have enough washed up retreads on the roster. The Sox are accumulating too many negative value players, and it's going to bite them in the ass sooner or later.

And we still need another power bat to even think about contending.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, clearly a desparation move by the Sox front office. They didn't give up much to get Shields, so no big loss if he sucks. Still, we have enough washed up retreads on the roster. The Sox are accumulating too many negative value players, and it's going to bite them in the ass sooner or later.

And we still need another power bat to even think about contending.

I think the Padres are covering 28 mil of his salary.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
I think the Padres are covering 28 mil of his salary.

Right, I just meant the Sox are trying to fill holes with washed up players. I understand there's a business side to this, but that's not how you win a championship.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sox don't have much ammo to pull off much of a trade though.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think that is a great move. Still need a bat. Gotta give Hahn credit for doing his part to try and improve this team. The Sox can still win it.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think that is a great move. Still need a bat. Gotta give Hahn credit for doing his part to try and improve this team. The Sox can still win it.

Maybe he just needs a change of scenery but the last few times I saw him pitch on MLB, he didn't look anything like the Shields you remember from Tampa and KC.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Shields just needs to be the #3 guy. He had an era this year outside of his last start of 3.06

He's a solid pitcher that immediately improves the bullpen by having a third starter that can go 7.

Plus the money cost is zilch. There is no negative to this move.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
How come the White Sox keep getting into these "low risk, medium to high reward" type deals? Don't other teams want to do the same thing? It seems like 20 teams should be willing to trade little and spend little for a shot at James Shields.

Last edited:

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Most teams know when to throw in the towel, start their rebuild, hoard and collect assets. We only bandaid away every year

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
How come the White Sox keep getting into these "low risk, medium to high reward" type deals? Don't other teams want to do the same thing? It seems like 20 teams should be willing to trade little and spend little for a shot at James Shields.

Rumor has it that the Padres kept asking teams for top tier specs and it spurned quite a few away. They started calling back teams and I believe the White Sox were the only ones willing to still speak with the Padres as long as Anderson and Fulmer were off the table.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Uh, you "glass half full guys" might wanna check Shield's stats, particularly from his last start for the Padres. He's been awful for a long time now, and I doubt bringing him back to the A.L. will be helpful for his career.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Uh, you "glass half full guys" might wanna check Shield's stats, particularly from his last start for the Padres. He's been awful for a long time now, and I doubt bringing him back to the A.L. will be helpful for his career.

Yes, check his last start. Man, you are the stereotypical baseball team fan. One start says it all. There we go. My glass is empty now. No wonder this section is dead on CCS.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Yes, check his last start. Man, you are the stereotypical baseball team fan. One start says it all. There we go. My glass is empty now. No wonder this section is dead on CCS.

It's dead because meatball fans like you need positive spin about everything. Well guess what? Fantasyland meets the real world Wednsday night when Shields faces Max Scherzer and the Nationals. If Shields pitches like he has been for the last 3 years, it ain't going to be pretty.

Add Shields to the scrap heap of washed up players the Sox love to collect just to create buzz. Real baseball fans know he sucks, which means the Sox are no better than they were two days ago.

San Diego payed the Sox to take him for next to nothing in return. What does that tell you?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
It's dead because meatball fans like you need positive spin about everything. Well guess what? Fantasyland meets the real world Wednsday night when Shields faces Max Scherzer and the Nationals. If Shields pitches like he has been for the last 3 years, it ain't going to be pretty.

Add Shields to the scrap heap of washed up players the Sox love to collect just to create buzz. Real baseball fans know he sucks, which means the Sox are no better than they were two days ago.

San Diego payed the Sox to take him for next to nothing in return. What does that tell you?

Seriously? OK let's keep you entertained.

So last three years.
- 1 Trip to the WS
- 2 Seasons of 200+ innings pitched with a third this year on track
- ERA of 3.06 prior to last start in 2016

But let's get more stats for you
- 3.89 era in his career with Navarro as catcher (his most used catcher)
- 3.45 era and 7-2 against the Royals lifetime
- 3.00 era in US Cell

Take a look at the garbage we have been putting out there at #4 and #5 compared to Shields.

Then take a look at the cash.

Yep, he sucks. I'm the meatball.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well maybe the great Don Cooper can whip him into form. Maybe some towel drills.:smug2:

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Seriously? OK let's keep you entertained.

So last three years.
- 1 Trip to the WS
- 2 Seasons of 200+ innings pitched with a third this year on track
- ERA of 3.06 prior to last start in 2016

But let's get more stats for you
- 3.89 era in his career with Navarro as catcher (his most used catcher)
- 3.45 era and 7-2 against the Royals lifetime
- 3.00 era in US Cell

Take a look at the garbage we have been putting out there at #4 and #5 compared to Shields.

Then take a look at the cash.

Yep, he sucks. I'm the meatball.

Yeah seriously, Alex Trebek. You can cherry pick meaningless stats all day long, but a turd is still a turd. KC made it to the WS in spite of Shields, not because of him, as evidenced by the WS victory the year after he left with virtually the same roster. He was mediocre with KC, and downright awful with the Padres, largely irrelevant for the past 3 years.

And you didn't answer my question. If he's so good, why did San Diego trade him for a box of jock straps?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Yeah seriously, Alex Trebek. You can cherry pick meaningless stats all day long, but a turd is still a turd. KC made it to the WS in spite of Shields, not because of him, as evidenced by the WS victory the year after he left with virtually the same roster. He was mediocre with KC, and downright awful with the Padres, largely irrelevant for the past 3 years.

And you didn't answer my question. If he's so good, why did San Diego trade him for a box of jock straps?

Can you come up with any facts or just spew your worthless ad hominem?

Your last question why didn't San Diego trade him elsewhere? They tried are the reports and the offers they asked for burned quite a number of bridges with other general managers. So they jumped at the best offer that was still on the table from the get go. The White Sox offer. Tatis is more than trash, he's just very far off. I'll give you one more chance to be right on anything negative about Shields. Make it count for once.