T-Wolves interested in trading for Butler

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
If they offer wiggins and the 5 you do it. Nothing to think about.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Gotta be more than the #5. I have been hearing that the draft is a shoot after the first two picks. I highly doubt the #5 will be anywhere near as good as Butler, right?

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Gotta be more than the #5. I have been hearing that the draft is a shoot after the first two picks. I highly doubt the #5 will be anywhere near as good as Butler, right?
Well as with any crap shoot, it's anyone's guess. There are still some decent prospects at #5. Whether or not they can be the two way player Butler is is debateable, but you might still get someone who can be dynamic offensively.

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
Since this would be the biggest trade they've made in a decade they can't just take potential. The player they would get at 3 vs 5 is still no sure all star or someone to be the lead dog, which is what they have in Butler. If the guy picked top 5 was for sure going to be that good those teams would keep the picks. They want the sure thing so they're going to have to pay.

Minn is in a tough spot. They need to add to their core of young players to win quickly. But they are going to have to give up some quality to get Butler who isn't so good that he can replace what they have and have them make a big step up. My bet is Thibs would be the most willing trade partner to give up young players for the comfort he would have with Butler. So does Thibs think Butler would be enough of an upgrade over Wiggins to give up the #5 to get him? LaVine just isn't enough and a pick in the late 20's is not worth having worth the roster the Bulls have now.

Boston would be the ideal trade partner if the Bulls were tearing it down and getting multiple picks but that isn't what they are willing to do. I don't think the Bulls really want 3 good role players in addition to the #3, I would think they're looking for a 2nd or 3rd option guy and no extra contracts that they'll have to trade or get stuck with.

They might well trade Jimmy but not just for the sake of trading him and not just to get a top 5 pick only to get stuck with a bunch of filler.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Well as with any crap shoot, it's anyone's guess. There are still some decent prospects at #5. Whether or not they can be the two way player Butler is is debateable, but you might still get someone who can be dynamic offensively.

So, ultra unlikely to be as good or better than what you have now is how I read this. Yes?

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So, ultra unlikely to be as good or better than what you have now is how I read this. Yes?
Outside of of Simmons and Ingram there aren't really any sure things, so yes. I find it quite unlikely whoever we'd get at #5 would progress to be as good as Butler is. That player may be good in his own right, but I doubt he'd be the two way force Butler is.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Yeah, Butler is one of the best two-way players in the league.... you don't move him unless you're getting a solid starter in return, in addition to draft picks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Benchmob757

Liked Posts:
If I was Minnesota I wouldn't want to give up Wiggins and the 5 for butler, to be honest. Wiggins is a baller, poised to be a top 3 player in the coming years, I wouldn't let him go.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Yeah, Butler is one of the best two-way players in the league.... you don't move him unless you're getting a solid starter in return, in addition to draft picks.

Just not Kevin Durant.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
If I was Minnesota I wouldn't want to give up Wiggins and the 5 for butler, to be honest. Wiggins is a baller, poised to be a top 3 player in the coming years, I wouldn't let him go.

Lotta closet T-Wolves fans feel the same way. I doubt Wiggins' ceiling is that high. He could well be Butler in a few years, but a top 3 player is wishful thinking.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Outside of of Simmons and Ingram there aren't really any sure things, so yes. I find it quite unlikely whoever we'd get at #5 would progress to be as good as Butler is. That player may be good in his own right, but I doubt he'd be the two way force Butler is.

exactly and thus what I am thinking the bulls pass on the offer

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
exactly and thus what I am thinking the bulls pass on the offer
Realistically, you're probably right. It just depends on what they're going for. If they were to go the "blow it up and rebuild form the ground up" approach then perhaps they would take it even if that player doesn't have that same potential.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Realistically, you're probably right. It just depends on what they're going for. If they were to go the "blow it up and rebuild form the ground up" approach then perhaps they would take it even if that player doesn't have that same potential.

Then they take the Boston deal at pick #3

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Then they take the Boston deal at pick #3
Maybe. I forget the details of each deal but I'd think at that point the deal depends on the other pieces that come with the pick and how the Bulls would feel about them. Though I think Boston probably has the edge in role players so you're probably still right.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:

Butler wasn't a lottery pick, but grew into a really good player. No one thought his ceiling was high prior to being drafted. Realistically, any lottery pick increases your chances of getting another player with a higher ceiling.

Lottery picks are a crap shoot. Frankly, the Bulls should be more concerned with getting value in a current player with high ceiling as compensation for a guy like Butler; nice two-way player on a longterm contract that'll be considered a steal post-tv contract.

Butler + Snell for Wiggins + some scrubs + 2016 5th pick + 2017 protected 1 rounder, maybe add cash incentives to one party or the other. I think that would be a fair deal that helps both teams.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:

Whoa, whoa, whoa...pump the brakes. Poised to be top 10 in a couple years? Has a good chance, but even that's not guaranteed. Top 3 is FAR from guaranteed. He still has a long way to go.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Butler wasn't a lottery pick, but grew into a really good player. No one thought his ceiling was high prior to being drafted. Realistically, any lottery pick increases your chances of getting another player with a higher ceiling.

Lottery picks are a crap shoot. Frankly, the Bulls should be more concerned with getting value in a current player with high ceiling as compensation for a guy like Butler; nice two-way player on a longterm contract that'll be considered a steal post-tv contract.

Butler + Snell for Wiggins + some scrubs + 2016 5th pick + 2017 protected 1 rounder, maybe add cash incentives to one party or the other. I think that would be a fair deal that helps both teams.

It's not enough going to the Wolves IMO.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
It's not enough going to the Wolves IMO.

A young All-Star player signed to a relatively cheap longterm contract is gold in the NBA. I think you're overestimating Wiggins. Butler, attitude notwithstanding, is a far superior player overall at this point.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
A young All-Star player signed to a relatively cheap longterm contract is gold in the NBA. I think you're overestimating Wiggins. Butler, attitude notwithstanding, is a far superior player overall at this point.

No, I would check their stats last year. I would also actually watch Wiggins play. Wiggins is already a real good defender and is 6 years younger. Butler is the overall better player right now, but its not by a lot. Wiggins is going into his 3rd year in the league. He has all world potential still and is already a really good player.