T-Wolves interested in trading for Butler

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
No, I would check their stats last year. I would also actually watch Wiggins play. Wiggins is already a real good defender and is 6 years younger. Butler is the overall better player right now, but its not by a lot. Wiggins is going into his 3rd year in the league. He has all world potential still and is already a really good player.

Thibs wants Butler because he understands the game better. I think fans are more enamored with potential, but teams understand that in order to win now, you need guys who are ready to play at the highest level. The Wolves are willing to trade potential (player + picks) for Butler for this reason. Wiggins is not the Wolves' best player, so acquiring Butler immediately makes them better than they are presently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thibs wants Butler because he understands the game better. I think fans are more enamored with potential, but teams understand that in order to win now, you need guys who are ready to play at the highest level. The Wolves are willing to trade potential (player + picks) for Butler for this reason. Wiggins is not the Wolves' best player, so acquiring Butler immediately makes them better than they are presently.

Why would they try to win now when Towns and Wiggins are on the same path in age? Also, Wiggins is their best player. Another thing, I dont think you have any clue what you are talking about or ever seen Wiggins play

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Wiggins still has a long ways to go to become a very good defender. He's pretty solid right now, and certainly can get better, but he's not that lock down defender people thought he was going to be. At least not yet.

He averaged 21 PPG last season but still only had an eFG% of 48 and a TS% of 54. Only shot 30% from 3. Had a PER of 16 and only averaged 3 RPG and 2 APG.

Don't get me wrong, those are all decent numbers, but nothing screams "franchise player." I'm not saying he can't get there. He certainly can....but he could just as easily end up as just very good, perhaps not great or elite. It's a gamble. People act like he's guaranteed to be this superstar and that is far from the truth. I think he'll be more of a #2 guy.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wiggins still has a long ways to go to become a very good defender. He's pretty solid right now, and certainly can get better, but he's not that lock down defender people thought he was going to be. At least not yet.

He averaged 21 PPG last season but still only had an eFG% of 48 and a TS% of 54. Only shot 30% from 3. Had a PER of 16 and only averaged 3 RPG and 2 APG.

Don't get me wrong, those are all decent numbers, but nothing screams "franchise player." I'm not saying he can't get there. He certainly can....but he could just as easily end up as just very good, perhaps not great or elite. It's a gamble. People act like he's guaranteed to be this superstar and that is far from the truth. I think he'll be more of a #2 guy.
I think Towns can and will be their #1 guy anyway so that's fine for the TWolves.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
Towns was already the best center in the league last year. 2 or 3 more seasons and he'll be top 3-5 in the league.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Why would they try to win now when Towns and Wiggins are on the same path in age? Also, Wiggins is their best player. Another thing, I dont think you have any clue what you are talking about or ever seen Wiggins play

You're asking me why Thibs wants to win now? I can't read his mind, but his reasons why are irrelevant. When you're willing to trade a lottery pick and a player for an established star, you're going for it (trying to win now).

To your other point, Karl-Anthony Towns is the best player on that team, not Wiggins.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

You do know that line goes hand and hand with Jimmy Butler's line.

Also, this is a great article on his improvement throughout the year.

http://www.ontheprowlmn.com/blog/andrew-wiggins-steady-improvement-from-a-budding-superstar

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
You're asking me why Thibs wants to win now? I can't read his mind, but his reasons why are irrelevant. When you're willing to trade a lottery pick and a player for an established star, you're going for it (trying to win now).

To your other point, Karl-Anthony Towns is the best player on that team, not Wiggins.

No, not at this point, and not last year. He got the publicity.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:

Enasic

Liked Posts:
You do know that line goes hand and hand with Jimmy Butler's line.

Also, this is a great article on his improvement throughout the year.

http://www.ontheprowlmn.com/blog/andrew-wiggins-steady-improvement-from-a-budding-superstar

Not exactly. You first need to take into account the way Jimmy played before and after his injury. He was averaging 24 PPG before, I believe. Only 16 PPG after. I think it was obviously effecting him. Even still, he posted a higher PER (21) and a higher TS% (56) than Wiggins, while averaging more rebounds and assists (5 RPG, 5 APG). I was surprised to see JImmy's 3 pt% go down so much this season, but he's shown before he could shoot at 38%.

I don't see any way a deal gets done though. Thibs wants to hang onto Wiggins and the Bulls won't pull the trigger without Wiggins. Considering Thibs and Garpax's history, neither one is going to budge. That much is obvious lol

Plus there's other teams interested in Butler. Boston especially, who has a ton of assets. So we're really under no pressure to make a deal work with Minny. Although, I wish Garpax would reconsider their stance and be open to LaVine, #5, Dieng, and a future 1st. It wouldn't surprise me in the least of LaVine ends up being the better player. He has a lot to work on as well, but if you compare his numbers to Wiggins, he's better in a lot of categories.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Not exactly. You first need to take into account the way Jimmy played before and after his injury. He was averaging 24 PPG before, I believe. Only 16 PPG after. I think it was obviously effecting him. Even still, he posted a higher PER (21) and a higher TS% (56) than Wiggins, while averaging more rebounds and assists (5 RPG, 5 APG). I was surprised to see JImmy's 3 pt% go down so much this season, but he's shown before he could shoot at 38%.

I don't see any way a deal gets done though. Thibs wants to hang onto Wiggins and the Bulls won't pull the trigger without Wiggins. Considering Thibs and Garpax's history, neither one is going to budge. That much is obvious lol

Plus there's other teams interested in Butler. Boston especially, who has a ton of assets. So we're really under no pressure to make a deal work with Minny. Although, I wish Garpax would reconsider their stance and be open to LaVine, #5, Dieng, and a future 1st. It wouldn't surprise me in the least of LaVine ends up being the better player. He has a lot to work on as well, but if you compare his numbers to Wiggins, he's better in a lot of categories.

LaVine played 82 games and shot 39% from the 3-pt arc. Rose played in 66 games and hit 3s at a putrid 29%. The other stats are about the same.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Minnesota also has the same problem Detroit had during their last championship run-can't attract an all star. So they either had to draft well or trade for them which they did for Rasheed Wallace

I think Minnesota in the same boat so if want to be on championship level quicker have to make a trade or just cross your fingers with the draft. We will see what method they want to employee.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
LaVine played 82 games and shot 39% from the 3-pt arc. Rose played in 66 games and hit 3s at a putrid 29%. The other stats are about the same.

I was comparing LaVine/Wiggins, not LaVine/Rose. Not sure where you got Rose from.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
What about -

Bulls get -
Zach Lavine
Gorgui Dieng
#5 overall pick
Lottery protected 2017 1st round pick

Wolves get -
Jimmy Butler

Enasic

Liked Posts:
I was comparing LaVine and Rose as PGs.

I think LaVine is more of a SG. He could handle the ball a bit and is a decent play maker, but his IQ isn't there and is better suited playing off the ball.

Troy23

Liked Posts:
What about -

Bulls get -
Zach Lavine
Gorgui Dieng
#5 overall pick
Lottery protected 2017 1st round pick

Wolves get -
Jimmy Butler

No. Just no.

Wiggins and Pick 5 for Butler or no deal.

We trade Butler to the Wolves, Wiggins must come in the deal. No ifs or buts