Trade deadline/rumors

chibears55

Liked Posts:
It will take more than Soler to get Chapman, plus Chapman hasnt been that good this year
Chapman been in 18 games...
13/14 saves 25Ks 3 BB in 17 IP

His ERA jumped to 3 cause he gave up 2 runs last game, which will happen when innings are low as it is now.

He pitching for a mediocre team right now with trade rumors floating...
Once he added to a contending team, that adrenaline flows a bit more....

Whomever gets Chapman will be pretty much be lights out in 9th....

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
This is just a hunch but I have a feeling that if there's a big deal this summer it will be with Oakland. I'm not quite in the crowd that thinks that a LF is a must but a deal for Sean Doolittle and Josh Reddick seems to make some sense. Theo and Beane have a good working relationship and the Cubs development process is not a far cry from Oakland's. I think Oakland is one of the few teams where you can swing a deal without giving up an MLB piece.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
This is just a hunch but I have a feeling that if there's a big deal this summer it will be with Oakland. I'm not quite in the crowd that thinks that a LF is a must but a deal for Sean Doolittle and Josh Reddick seems to make some sense. Theo and Beane have a good working relationship and the Cubs development process is not a far cry from Oakland's. I think Oakland is one of the few teams where you can swing a deal without giving up an MLB piece.
I was actually thinking they might try to use Oakland or SD in a 3 team trade with tbe Yankees if Epstein wish is to nab Miller and or Chapman. .

As far as LF goes, I think it comes to this..

You need to skip ahead to playoffs

Probably take Almora and Cogs out of equation for playoff starters...

I think it comes down to wheather or not they need to trade Soler to add a wanted/needed pitcher in deadline deal. ..

then they probably look to add a veteran LFer

Or..

Do they stick with Soler and Baez ( 3b and bryant LF)
and basically ride the hot bat at the time

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I was actually thinking they might try to use Oakland or SD in a 3 team trade with tbe Yankees if Epstein wish is to nab Miller and or Chapman. .

As far as LF goes, I think it comes to this..

You need to skip ahead to playoffs

Probably take Almora and Cogs out of equation for playoff starters...

I think it comes down to wheather or not they need to trade Soler to add a wanted/needed pitcher in deadline deal. ..

then they probably look to add a veteran LFer

Or..

Do they stick with Soler and Baez ( 3b and bryant LF)
and basically ride the hot bat at the time

I think Miller is overkill for what they need in that pen. If they can get him at a better value than what's out there in the rumors then absolutely, otherwise I'd be looking at Doolittle or Abad from the Twins. Doolittle is attractive in that the contractual commitment is over $10 mil less than it would be for Miller and Abad is a rental.

As far as LF goes I think there are a ton of factors including how Baez and Soler hit over the next month (assuming Soler returns). If Baez continues to show the kind of incremental improvement that he has the answer is obvious because Baez at 3B and Bryant in LF are by far and away the best defensive alignment. Reddick would be a liability in LF but if it was looking like the lineup was short a LF bat, remember that Schwarber was supposed to be that bat with his own defensive liabilities, than I see that as an option.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
I think Miller is overkill for what they need in that pen. If they can get him at a better value than what's out there in the rumors then absolutely, otherwise I'd be looking at Doolittle or Abad from the Twins. Doolittle is attractive in that the contractual commitment is over $10 mil less than it would be for Miller and Abad is a rental.

As far as LF goes I think there are a ton of factors including how Baez and Soler hit over the next month (assuming Soler returns). If Baez continues to show the kind of incremental improvement that he has the answer is obvious because Baez at 3B and Bryant in LF are by far and away the best defensive alignment. Reddick would be a liability in LF but if it was looking like the lineup was short a LF bat, remember that Schwarber was supposed to be that bat with his own defensive liabilities, than I see that as an option.

I said I liked Reddick plus Doolittle months ago. Something built around Soler, Calendario, Vogelbach, and an arm like Underwood makes a lot of sense for both sides IMO. I doubt anyone gives a top tier prospect for either guy and the A's got a lot of depth that they need.

Against Righties
Fowler - CF
Heyward - RF
Bryant - 3B
Rizzo - 1B
Zobrist - 2B
Reddick - LF
Montero - C
Russell - SS

Lefties
Fowler - CF
Heyward - RF
Bryant - LF
Rizzo - 1B
Zobrist - 2B
Contreras - C
Baez - 3B
Russell - SS

Playoff rotation
Arrieta, Lester, Lackey, Hammel

Bullpen
Rondon, Dolittle, Strop, Cahill, Wood, Warren, Hendricks (long)

Bench
Montero/Contreras, Reddick/Baez, LaStella, Szczur, Ross, Coghlan

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Heyman also spoke to execs from teams that have engaged (or attempted to engage) the Cubs in trade talks and was told that Chicago has shown “no interest” in trading Kyle Schwarber, Willson Contreras or Javier Baez. One opposing exec said that the Cubs are only open to moving their second-tier prospects, though a different GM opined to Heyman that the Cubs’ second tier of prospects should be rich enough to fill the bulk of their needs on the summer trade market. GMs around the league believe that Albert Almora is more or less off limits as well, Heyman writes, though the belief is that shortstop prospect Gleyber Torres isn’t in that same “untouchable” category.

stuff

chibears55

Liked Posts:

Yes..I know, some of you think Miller is overkill..
But im sure youd all do flips if the Cubs got him..

Im just saying IF he who Epstein wants

I actually mentioned Riddick a while back as that lefty they could be interested in as Schwarber replacement.

I think that would be a nice option of Riddick and Baez ( bryant LF)

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Yes..I know, some of you think Miller is overkill..
But im sure youd all do flips if the Cubs got him..

Im just saying IF he who Epstein wants

I actually mentioned Riddick a while back as that lefty they could be interested in as Schwarber replacement.

I think that would be a nice option of Riddick and Baez ( bryant LF)

Sure if they got him for value I'd be more than happy to watch him pitch but he's owed about $23 mil including what's left of this year and is going to cost a lot. All I'm saying.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Sure if they got him for value I'd be more than happy to watch him pitch but he's owed about $23 mil including what's left of this year and is going to cost a lot. All I'm saying.
Look..

I made the Suggestion for Miller at the end of ST as a Lefty set up to go with Strop, because i figured once Chapman returned and got a few games under his belt the Yankees might consider trading Miller..

Ive also always said that IF Epstein wants him badly he will do whatever possible to get him but i didn't think Epstein would trade away valuable pieces of this team to do it..
I figured Soler would probably be a start ..

But yes i agree... i want Miller but not at a high cost of valuable players, which like i said i dont think Epstein will do.

So, we shall see what happens in a few weeks

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Tend to agree with this. Torres is a luxury at this point with Baez and Russell. Soler is a luxury with Schwarber back. Contreras is looking like next year's starter behind the dish. CF opens up next year so you are not trading Almora. Happ is sort of a luxury because Baez fits at 2B post Zobrist but the team lacks a lead off type which Happ is.

You can write in in 2017:

Schwarber LF
Almora CF
Heyward RF
Bryant 3B
Russell SS
Zobrist 2B
Rizzo 1B
Contreras C

Baez 6th man

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Tend to agree with this. Torres is a luxury at this point with Baez and Russell. Soler is a luxury with Schwarber back. Contreras is looking like next year's starter behind the dish. CF opens up next year so you are not trading Almora. Happ is sort of a luxury because Baez fits at 2B post Zobrist but the team lacks a lead off type which Happ is.

You can write in in 2017:

Schwarber LF
Almora CF
Heyward RF
Bryant 3B
Russell SS
Zobrist 2B
Rizzo 1B
Contreras C

Baez 6th man
That pretty much their opening day starters...

Baez will most likely do what he was probably going to do this year before injuries happened..
Rotate around giving regulars a day off...

cubsmann

Liked Posts:
Chapman been in 18 games...
13/14 saves 25Ks 3 BB in 17 IP

His ERA jumped to 3 cause he gave up 2 runs last game, which will happen when innings are low as it is now.

He pitching for a mediocre team right now with trade rumors floating...
Once he added to a contending team, that adrenaline flows a bit more....

Whomever gets Chapman will be pretty much be lights out in 9th....

Yeah and with Chapman and Rondon the Cubs would have the best RH/LH closing men in the game. Plus Chapman throws 101mph. The only reason why interest hasn't been greater is that the guy is apparently a piece of shit who beats his wife. Like that really matters. All that matters for an athlete is that he plays well. Michael Vick is a total piece of garbage but still starting in the NLF.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
No such thing. You can never have enough quality arms.
Those are my thoughts but others on here disagree

Im thinking more for playoffs purposes, on why id like to have him or even Chapman...

If Nationals or Giants get Chapman, that huge come the playoffs if Cubs have to face them/him

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Those are my thoughts but others on here disagree

Im thinking more for playoffs purposes, on why id like to have him or even Chapman...

If Nationals or Giants get Chapman, that huge come the playoffs if Cubs have to face them/him

I agree but with Theo's history and his ties to Miller in Bos. Add in control I wouldn't bet against them going that direction. More so if Conception shuts down hitters at this level.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I agree but with Theo's history and his ties to Miller in Bos. Add in control I wouldn't bet against them going that direction. More so if Conception shuts down hitters at this level.

I'm not going to beat a dead horse but I'd be very surprised if the cubs made a big move for a reliever. They have signed so many relievers lately which really makes little sense if you're going to trade for someone like Chapman/Miller. Just off the top of my head, we're talking Nathan, Matusz, Joel Peralta, and RJ Alvarez. They also have Jack Leathersich and Aaron Crow returning from injury. They were also basically the same bullpen last year and their "big" trades were Rodney for cash I believe and Tommy Hunter for I believe Junior Lake. This is in contrast to the talk of them trading for Papelbon which were the 2015 rumors. If they make a move for a reliever I assuming it will be similar to what they did with Rodney because they haven't really shown a willingness to spend big on relievers.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Hearing the Yankees are looking for a firstbasemen now..
( Vogelbach)

I don't know, the Cubs just seem like the perfect trade partner for the Yankees..
Both teams have what each other needs..

Im looking forward to July, just to see what Epstein does to solidify his roster for the rest of season and for the playoff..

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I've come to the conclusion that the in season trade restriction on QO's is fucking dumb. If that weren't there I think it would be much easier for teams with rental players to deal for decent near major prospects. As is, what can a team like Oakland really get for a guy like Reddick? Would you give up 2 near MLB ready prospects like say Vogelbach and Candelario for him to play 3 months? If you could get back a pick that wouldn't sting so much but that's pretty rich for me.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Just read this:

One evaluator with knowledge of the Yankees' interest fully expects that the team will tell the Cubs that if they want Miller, they will have to part with young hitter Kyle Schwarber -- and if the Cubs say no, the Yankees can simply move on to conversations with other contenders who are interested in the left-hander.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just read this:

One evaluator with knowledge of the Yankees' interest fully expects that the team will tell the Cubs that if they want Miller, they will have to part with young hitter Kyle Schwarber -- and if the Cubs say no, the Yankees can simply move on to conversations with other contenders who are interested in the left-hander.

The Cubs will laugh just like other anonymous GM's have laughed when they were asked that question about giving up Schwarbs