Trade deadline/rumors

TL1961

Liked Posts:
So, catching up on the discussion, I see some still have Schwarber catching, when he was atrocious at it before a major knee injury.

Some have him playing some 1B, a) pretending defense doesn't matter there, or that he could actually play first defensively, and b) projecting him to spell Rizzo, though both are lefties.

Also, I see Contrras will push Schwarber out of the lineup because he's ghecreal deal. Apparently Kyle is not.

And Heyward will lose his spot to Almora and Contreras.

Wow.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So, catching up on the discussion, I see some still have Schwarber catching, when he was atrocious at it before a major knee injury.

Some have him playing some 1B, a) pretending defense doesn't matter there, or that he could actually play first defensively, and b) projecting him to spell Rizzo, though both are lefties.

Also, I see Contrras will push Schwarber out of the lineup because he's ghecreal deal. Apparently Kyle is not.

And Heyward will lose his spot to Almora and Contreras.

Wow.

I see it as Schwarber in LF and 3rd catcher. Almora in CF and Heyward in RF. Having that range in CF/RF lessens the range needed to cover LF. They can shade to left more with those 2.

Contreras should be the starter at catcher next year. I don't believe they will be able to trade Montero so he becomes the back up. I believe the tools are there for Contreras not so much on Schwarber at catcher.

At the end of the day you want both bats in the line up pretty much every day but Contreras just needs experience in dealing with the staff and to work on his framing. His arm is plus as is athleticism behind the plate.

Schwarber on the other hand doesn't have the basic tool set. He wants to catch and the bat makes us go OK. But take away the bat what do you have? A clunky catcher with little framing skills. He wants to catch. But I really don't see it. There have been plenty of bat first catchers that went on to have solid careers as a emergency catcher.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
So the Braves got 2 pitchers for Bud Norris. I don't know if it will happen now or in the offseason but I think there's a trade between them and the cubs coming. I mean look at their top 30 prospect right now...

1 DANSBY SWANSON SS
2 SEAN NEWCOMB LHP
3 OZZIE ALBIES SS
4 KOLBY ALLARD LHP
5 TOUKI TOUSSAINT RHP
6 AUSTIN RILEY 3B
7 TYRELL JENKINS RHP
8 MANNY BANUELOS LHP
9 MAX FRIED LHP
10 LUCAS SIMS RHP
11 MIKE SOROKA RHP
12 CHRIS ELLIS RHP
13 BRAXTON DAVIDSON OF
14 RIO RUIZ 3B
15 ZACHARY BIRD RHP
16 ANDREW THURMAN RHP
17 RICARDO SANCHEZ LHP
18 LUCAS HERBERT C
19 DUSTIN PETERSON OF

20 AKEEL MORRIS RHP
21 JOHN GANT RHP
22 RONALD ACUNA OF
23 JASON HURSH RHP
24 JOHAN CAMARGO SS
25 MAX POVSE RHP
26 ROB WHALEN RHP
27 MAURICIO CABRERA RHP
28 WES PARSONS RHP
29 PATRICK WEIGEL RHP
30 CALEB DIRKS RHP

21 of their top 30 prospects are pitchers. They have 0 offensive depth right now out side of SS and I guess 3B. This is a team that is worst in the majors in runs scored at 3.28 a game. Swanson will definitely help but Albies is more your no power decent hit middle infielder. Austin Riley is probably a similar level player to Candelario though possibly less hit tool and slightly more power. Davidson is probably a 3rd or 4th OF type. Everyone else looks like bench guys unless they pop up. Their system is kind of a mirror of what the cubs have done though probably even more extreme on pitching.

Cubs have a lot of near major hitting prospects that would likely appeal to them. So a minor league prospect for minor league prospect swap might make sense. They also reportedly like Soler who's long term fit here is a bit tenuous. Just seems like their is a lot of parts to make this work.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
New rumor has cubs scouting Rich Hill

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
New rumor has cubs scouting Rich Hill

That makes relatively little sense to me. Granted he's a lefty so I suppose you could argue for him in the bullpen but surely someone would need him more as a starter and would pay more.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wasn't doubting you. Just don't really get the fit. Think the cubs just scout everyone and writers need stuff to write.

Why wouldnt he fit? The Cubs are trying to conserve innings on Hammel and Hendricks and probably Arrieta. He has found some miracle and has been really good. He has pitched out the pen before and he comes back to where he originally started. He also probably isnt going to cost a ton. Its not like teams assume he is going to continue to be good. They all are going to be leery.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Wasn't doubting you. Just don't really get the fit. Think the cubs just scout everyone and writers need stuff to write.
I know..

Just found the link and posted it

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Maybe they were really there to scout Reddick...

Who knows why their scouting him, Maybe their considering going with 6 starters the second half.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Why wouldnt he fit? The Cubs are trying to conserve innings on Hammel and Hendricks and probably Arrieta. He has found some miracle and has been really good. He has pitched out the pen before and he comes back to where he originally started. He also probably isnt going to cost a ton. Its not like teams assume he is going to continue to be good. They all are going to be leery.

I mean I get the logic of limiting innings. But doesn't seem like there's much end game there. To throw out a for example, wouldn't you be better off going after one of the Rays starters with an eye toward 2017 and beyond? Obviously there's a cost there that's possibly more but Beane is rarely one to lose a trade. And I would argue that if the Rays are willing to deal they are going to have a hard time getting a crap load for Drew Smyly and Matt Moore who I would assume they are most likely wanting to move rather than Jake Odorizzi.

For my money anyways I'd rather them take a shot on Smyly unless there's something in the data the cubs have access to that suggests he has no chance to limit his HR/FB rate. The data I've been able to gather on him from fangraphs looks decent but his fastball gets a lot of fly balls.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I thought it as a joke before. But Hill was with the Sox after the Cubs and was in the pen. 2010-12. So was signed by Theo back then to pitch in the pen.

My opinion is if they did make a move like that it was due to Hammel degrading.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I mean I get the logic of limiting innings. But doesn't seem like there's much end game there. To throw out a for example, wouldn't you be better off going after one of the Rays starters with an eye toward 2017 and beyond? Obviously there's a cost there that's possibly more but Beane is rarely one to lose a trade. And I would argue that if the Rays are willing to deal they are going to have a hard time getting a crap load for Drew Smyly and Matt Moore who I would assume they are most likely wanting to move rather than Jake Odorizzi.

For my money anyways I'd rather them take a shot on Smyly unless there's something in the data the cubs have access to that suggests he has no chance to limit his HR/FB rate. The data I've been able to gather on him from fangraphs looks decent but his fastball gets a lot of fly balls.

He has always been a fly ball pitcher. I think Ted Lilly was like that also. He did well also. As long as the % it more towards pop ups it is pretty much the easiest out in baseball.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Another thing they may do is go to a 6 man rotation. It seems the rotation looks worn

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd stand firm with the Yankees on

Soler + prospects for Chapman + Miller.

If they don't like that, let that moron Cashman (worst GM in baseball) keep his cards close to the vest and deal with other teams.

Trading for LHP with the Braves for lesser upside hitters seems a more valuable alternative.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
I'd stand firm with the Yankees on

Soler + prospects for Chapman + Miller.

If they don't like that, let that moron Cashman (worst GM in baseball) keep his cards close to the vest and deal with other teams.

Trading for LHP with the Braves for lesser upside hitters seems a more valuable alternative.
That's a hollow threat to Cashman as he will have plenty of suiters offering MLB ready talent. No one is going to take advantage of him on this deal

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's a hollow threat to Cashman as he will have plenty of suiters offering MLB ready talent. No one is going to take advantage of him on this deal

its probably he takes nobody up on his chance to improve the future of that club, he stands pat on his hopeless albatross of a roster

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
its probably he takes nobody up on his chance to improve the future of that club, he stands pat on his hopeless albatross of a roster
Interesting you say that. Just read an article that says he told miller he is not trading him this season. The difference with the Yankees is that player decisions are not ever about money like the rest of the league. Then dont have to dump a player like maybe the Padres or Braves would. Cashman can sit on a player just to piss everyone off

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Interesting you say that. Just read an article that says he told miller he is not trading him this season. The difference with the Yankees is that player decisions are not ever about money like the rest of the league. Then dont have to dump a player like maybe the Padres or Braves would. Cashman can sit on a player just to piss everyone off

Whether or not it's about money they'd be some what dumb to hold onto a bullpen piece given where they are as a team. the FA class is shit this coming year and the yankees farm system isn't amazing. Chances are they don't compete next year either. Maybe they make a run a Harper and what not in 2018 but I strongly doubt Miller makes much difference then and even if they get Harper they still have a lot of needs.