Trade deadline/rumors

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Those were legit prospects too. Reese McGuire was their #8 prospect(50 grade), and Ramirez was #9 with a 50 grade. Good move by the Jays I think.

Also a pretty good move by the Pirates. I hate seeing teams that look just a hair below where they should be decide to soldier on and go for it when clearly they ain't getting there. The Pirates are not up with the elite in the NL this year. The Cubs, Giants and Nats are certainly better and I'm pretty certain the Marlibs, Cards and Dodgers are too. Liriano had not been good for them and Melancon is a FA to be. They picked up assets and aren't any worse for next year. With the young pitching and a move or to they're ready to compete again next year and have another year after that with McCutchen if they pick up his option. I like seeing organizations be smart.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Also a pretty good move by the Pirates. I hate seeing teams that look just a hair below where they should be decide to soldier on and go for it when clearly they ain't getting there. The Pirates are not up with the elite in the NL this year. The Cubs, Giants and Nats are certainly better and I'm pretty certain the Marlibs, Cards and Dodgers are too. Liriano had not been good for them and Melancon is a FA to be. They picked up assets and aren't any worse for next year. With the young pitching and a move or to they're ready to compete again next year and have another year after that with McCutchen if they pick up his option. I like seeing organizations be smart.

Eh.. I'm not as sold on it from the Pirates side. Drew Hutchison doesn't strike me as a difference maker. It smells more like the Pirates paying two decent prospects to get out from under Liriano's deal in 2017 and getting a serviceable back of the rotation starter out of the deal. If anything I feel it pushes them closer to the "not good enough but yet still good" category you're talking about. The Melancon deal I'm fine with them making but I didn't like the Hutchinson from their side.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Um... this is a little awkward...

South Bend Cubs @SBCubs
Get your hands on a Gleyber Torres bobblehead this Wed., Aug. 3! Find ticket info here: http://atmilb.com/1PIFqOu .

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Eh.. I'm not as sold on it from the Pirates side. Drew Hutchison doesn't strike me as a difference maker. It smells more like the Pirates paying two decent prospects to get out from under Liriano's deal in 2017 and getting a serviceable back of the rotation starter out of the deal. If anything I feel it pushes them closer to the "not good enough but yet still good" category you're talking about. The Melancon deal I'm fine with them making but I didn't like the Hutchinson from their side.

With Cole, Taillon and Glasnow at the top of that rotation to start next year they will arguably be in better shape rotation wise to start the year in 2017 than they were this year. Nova and Huchison on the back end might not be quite enough but it isn't awful. Besides Liriano had been awful and he's had his 9 lives already, I don't see him rebounding again.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
With Cole, Taillon and Glasnow at the top of that rotation to start next year they will arguably be in better shape rotation wise to start the year in 2017 than they were this year. Nova and Huchison on the back end might not be quite enough but it isn't awful. Besides Liriano had been awful and he's had his 9 lives already, I don't see him rebounding again.

My issue is more that they are giving up pieces to get rid of Liriano. I mean is he really going to be a worse pitcher than Nova in 2017? I get that there's money involved and all that jazz but I'm never a fan of paying to get rid of players. It's one thing to cut them and even then I don't love the idea most of the time. But McGuire is a good defensive catcher who's hitting .259/.337/.346 in AA. Ramirez the other prospect is hitting .306/.354/.401. Maybe it's a case of them not needing those prospects but as is the case with any trade, just because you don't need a player doesn't mean they don't have value. Think Pitt could have found a better deal out there personally when you're seeing teams actually make an effort to acquire the likes of Jesse Chavez.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Eaton is having a better results year because of the massive number of assists he has for an OF but I have to assume that the flukyness of it means regression later where as Heyward has been a defensive stalwart every year in the league. There is no way I'd play Eaton over Heyward in the bottom of the 9th of a game; Heyward is simply more skilled than Eaton at playing defense.
Except all season long that has been proven false. And not just when folks wish to test Eaton's arm out. Not only is Eaton the best RF in the league, he's the best fielder period.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Except all season long that has been proven false. And not just when folks wish to test Eaton's arm out. Not only is Eaton the best RF in the league, he's the best fielder period.

He's also the best player in MLB. And one of the greatest humans ever, too.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs and Rays talked Matt Moore. Cubs pretty much shut down because the Rays wanted Baez and the Cubs balked at it.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Cubs and Rays talked Matt Moore. Cubs pretty much shut down because the Rays wanted Baez and the Cubs balked at it.

I really never understood the appeal of Moore to begin with. If you're buying a guy with a 4 ERA then fine but that's not what teams were sold. He wasn't even that great before he was injured.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I really never understood the appeal of Moore to begin with. If you're buying a guy with a 4 ERA then fine but that's not what teams were sold. He wasn't even that great before he was injured.

I've never been a huge fan. I mean has decent stuff but it's not awesome and I'm not sure he'll ever be the TOR guy people expected him to become.