With the 14th pick

CubsWin

Liked Posts:
In the previous post, I said maybe the Bulls should go big man in the first round. Except I don't like most of the big men who might be available. Skal Labissiere did almost nothing at Kentucky, Chieck Diallo actually did nothing at Kansas, Damian Jones underachieved at Vanderbilt, Diamond Stone's a below-the-rim big guy....

I do like Marquette's Henry Ellenson and Gonzaga's Damontas Sabonis, so maybe one of those two will be the pick.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
In the previous post, I said maybe the Bulls should go big man in the first round. Except I don't like most of the big men who might be available. Skal Labissiere did almost nothing at Kentucky, Chieck Diallo actually did nothing at Kansas, Damian Jones underachieved at Vanderbilt, Diamond Stone's a below-the-rim big guy....

I do like Marquette's Henry Ellenson and Gonzaga's Damontas Sabonis, so maybe one of those two will be the pick.
If Sabonis has anywhere near the basketball IQ of his dad I can't complain about that pick at 14

CubsWin

Liked Posts:
If Sabonis has anywhere near the basketball IQ of his dad I can't complain about that pick at 14

Sabonis is a creative scorer, but the biggest knock on him is his relatively short wingspan. Ellenson is longer than Sabonis. But I'd be happy with either.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
Yikes. I didn't know that about him. Shoots a good percentage from deep but man, 38% at the rim? Are you sure about that?

Either way, there's really not a single prospect you could get excited about at 14. Best case scenario is they turn into a solid starter but more likely, a rotational player.

The scouting report on him I read said that's what his % at the rim was, which is 25% below league average in the NBA. I haven't found anything to dispute that.

CubsWin

Liked Posts:
How about Cat Barber in the second round? A point guard with blazing speed, good shooter. I hear there's a point guard job open....

CubsWin

Liked Posts:
Baldwin/Jackson/(Washington) Murray

Of those three, I'd go with Dejounte Murray. He has length and is very talented. As a freshman he took a backseat to top scorer and senior Andrew Andrews, but as the season went on, became more assertive, and had a few monster games. He went to the same high school as Jamal Crawford and looks and plays like him.

I like Demetrius Jackson, but he's 6-1, and I think 14 might be too high for him. Maybe in a trade down. But Jackson did record a huge vertical jump at the combine. Maybe the best one. For sure over 40". Good shooter, will attack the rim and can run a team.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Jackson is built like a tank and is extremely athletic. His upside is huge so I understand picking up at 14 for sure.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I doubt that there will be anyone on the board that could be an NBA starting player when the Bulls draft at 14. At best, they can maybe find a bench rotation player even for a shitty team like they will be.

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
If they keep the pick I would look for Wade Baldwin. They could create competition at the PG but with the roster that they have the only position that wouldn't be redundant is center. Too many 4's and not enough minutes, too much already invested in McDermott to not play him they've got Dunleavy as a fallback and if they could get a 2 guard Jimmy could play the 3.

I wouldn't be surprised if they trade down or out of the first round. Trading down for someone who is more of a project that wouldn't be counted on to contribute this year or trading OUT by adding someone, Mirotic, Gibson, Snell, Calderon plus 14 to get an upgrade at the 4 or a better backup at the 2. I'd like to see which of the 8 teams with no 1st has a player they like and what they would be willing to pay to get him.

CubsWin

Liked Posts:
I doubt that there will be anyone on the board that could be an NBA starting player when the Bulls draft at 14. At best, they can maybe find a bench rotation player even for a shitty team like they will be.

At 14, the chances of picking a standout aren't good. But there's always hope that they can find a Kawhi Leonard, a Draymond Green, an Isaiah Thomas....a Jimmy Butler...

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Mainly for his defense, I like Baldwin. But after the trade, and still the decent ceiling of Grant being as good as anyone in the range.... I'd rather pick one of the international guys that wont be available for a year or two. Stashing a guy like Furkan Korkmaz wouldn't be a bad option. We have a lot of good players, just piss poor chemistry and development. No way to know what will work or fit with any form of rebuild or whatever the hell GarPax are trying to accomplish. Our biggest moves will be trades and FA. Stash-a-euro is a nice option.

CubsWin

Liked Posts:
I remember the first college bball game I watched last year was an early season matchup between Marquette and LSU. It was supposed to be Ben Simmons' big "coming out party", and Simmons looked good, but Ellenson was the guy who won the game. I don't know if that means anything in terms of NBA.

Yeah, I watched that game also. A matchup between two of the top freshmen. It looks like Ellenson will go somewhere between 10 and 20, so you'd think he's on the Bulls radar. He has a nice arsenal of offensive moves, good handles, can rebound, is strong and has length and looks like he can be a good 3 pt. shooter, even though he shot .290. He's not particularly explosive, and has some trouble guarding quicker 4's because he's a little heavy legged. He was one of those guys I was really impressed with in college, and he's only 19, and I think he has a chance to be really good.

DirtyDutchDiggler

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. LA Galaxy
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Miami Dolphins
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Miami Hurricanes
I still like Dejonte Murray. Long and athletic, sweet handles and a nose for the basket plus an improving shot. He can also play the one or the two. If Grant really is a first round talent and can show something his second year in the league and be that true PG we need, we need playmakers and Murray can fill that need.

CubsWin

Liked Posts:
I still like Dejonte Murray. Long and athletic, sweet handles and a nose for the basket plus an improving shot. He can also play the one or the two. If Grant really is a first round talent and can show something his second year in the league and be that true PG we need, we need playmakers and Murray can fill that need.

^This. D. Murray can be an all star. The kid is so talented.

CubsWin

Liked Posts:
More about Dejounte Murray: If the Hoiberg wants to play a fast up and down the court style, that's what Murray is good at. He's shifty, changes speed really well, slick handles.

I just saw on Sam Smith's final mock, he has Murray going to the Bulls. I'd rather have Murray than Wade Baldwin.

CubsWin

Liked Posts:
Guys I don't want at 14:

Skal Labassiere
Cheick Diallo
Deyonte Davis
Wade Baldwin
Damian Jones

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I'm warming up to Murray...I'm not a heavy viewer of CBB, but some good arguments put forth about him in this thread.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I know nothing about most of these guys, but based on what I've generally read I'd be fine with this Murray fellow, Sabonis, Jackson, or that Korkmaz fellow. Valentine works too. It's all a crapshoot anyway.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
Heck, you could say the McDermott trade hurt us even more. He's still a promising player, but we probably would have been better off had we kept those picks. We could have selected Rodney Hood and Clint Capela, two guys that would have been huge for the future of this franchise.