BREAKING: Chicago Bulls trade Derrick Rose to New York Knicks

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was in a sports bar the day we won the Beasley/Rose lottery and I saw the ALERT: Bulls win #1 draft pick slide across the ticker...and I jumped out of my seat and ran around the bar (in southern california where I was alone in happiness) screaming "We won Derrick Rose!! We won Derrick Rose!!" Our franchise was at a similar point we are now...just missed the playoffs with veterans who would never get it done, window closed after years of abomination baby bulls basketball.

This is a sad saga, a tragedy.

I really do hope Rose/Jackson can make an exciting storyline together in the east and make some noise. Kinda pointless until the league puts the kabash on billionaires creating 250,000,000 rosters.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I would rather let him walk and take the cap space than have it get eaten up for the most part by an overpaid role player.
I'm sorry, but that is just an all-time bad thought.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I guess I will have to accept the fact that Robin Lopez is probably better than any free agent we will get or would have gotten this offseason or next.

It's not about that. Lopez' contract, under the old cap, made him overpaid. Now that the cap is going up, his contract is probably a positive. Not only does he come that much cheaper under a higher salary cap. Not only that, but it prevents GarPax from signing a center to a ridiculous contract.

Put it this way: would you rather have Lopez on your roster next year for $13.5 million, or would your rather sign Bismack Biyombo for $13.5 million?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm sorry, but that is just an all-time bad thought.

I don't think its an all-time bad thought. I am perfectly fine with someone wanting no part of Robin Lopez on that contract. He isn't even the good twin, he isn't worth a max...

however...we needed another center. With Portis/Mirotic around to allow you to go small he is a pretty good fit when we need to go big. He is a defensive body that matters, an d probably we are getting him at a bad time, centers can break down quickly and we will be left holding that contract.

In terms of next year...we needed that piece. But now we need a backcourt...lets wait and see how they solve it.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's not about that. Lopez' contract, under the old cap, made him overpaid. Now that the cap is going up, his contract is probably a positive. Not only does he come that much cheaper under a higher salary cap. Not only that, but it prevents GarPax from signing a center to a ridiculous contract.

Put it this way: would you rather have Lopez on your roster next year for $13.5 million, or would your rather sign Bismack Biyombo for $13.5 million?
Frankly I think it'll end up about the same, but that depends on your view of Biyombo. But I get your point, it's quite possible Biyombo gets the Jermone James treatment and then sucks for the next 4 years. So sure, I'll take Lopez because you know he won't suck.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
I would rather let him walk and take the cap space than have it get eaten up for the most part by an overpaid role player.

so we can blow it by overpaying a role player? the deal has grown on me since yesterday. Lopez is a solid center and is only 28. with the cap rising his deal will likely average out. lets us move on from Noah/Gasol aswell. thank god.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Also...Melo/Rose are now finally united and should be a good fit. Better than Butler/Rose because of Melo's ability to spread the floor for him and take scoring pressure off by running the team not just running iso.

The knicks were in a hopeless situation...they bought our false hope with the one caveat that a mental guru sits at their helm...and that is the only real hope Rose has.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Idk why Knicks fans are so enraged. They dump a long term contract and have an expiring deal coming back on a guy who has incentive to play well. If Rose sucks as much as everyone thinks, then no big deal, you get 22M in cap space to play with in addition to what you already have. If he's great, you can consider bringing him back. Or punt him to the curb anyway and use that cap space.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Frankly I think it'll end up about the same, but that depends on your view of Biyombo. But I get your point, it's quite possible Biyombo gets the Jermone James treatment and then sucks for the next 4 years. So sure, I'll take Lopez because you know he won't suck.
Again, take a look at those top centers who are FA's and tell me who would you rather pay $13.5 million next season instead of Lopez. I'd love to pay Drummond, Whiteside, or even Dwight the same money as Lopez is getting - but we know that isn't happening with those three.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
I think it was the 20,000,000 part that prevented a return. Rose was less than worthless...hence you see us taking on their garbage, bad contracts, and sending them a draft pick.

I guess we should be happy we got something with some potential in return, and dumped an uncompetitive player preventing our franchise from moving forward.

I'm sure all teams have their scouts and info on the situation...I doubt you could have gotten anything for him.

The only guy willing to take any chance of even having that cancer in the locker room is a fucking Buddhist who probably thinks he can fix Rose mentally. Thats the trick here. Rose is worthless to just about everyone except a zen master who can do some mental karate and get this boy to play.

So there is the rub...whatever he becomes we can't believe he would have here, he needed a therapist...he got one. Its his only hope.

this is a good trade for the bulls, clears out any controversy on who's team this is, nets the bulls 2 players that are capable and 1 veteran who can play if needed or be dumped after this season. Lopez's deal is cheap considering the significant increase in cap space that will happen in the years moving forward. Grant was a horrible fit in the triangle offense and should be at least a solid backup pg.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
so we can blow it by overpaying a role player? the deal has grown on me since yesterday. Lopez is a solid center and is only 28. with the cap rising his deal will likely average out. lets us move on from Noah/Gasol aswell. thank god.

No, no, no...the Bulls would used that money to bring in a top FA. Except GarPax don't bring in top FAs. So they'll have to trade someone. Except GarPax doesn't trade their core.

So come on down max contract Harrison Barnes and Bismack Biyombo.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Again, take a look at those top centers who are FA's and tell me who would you rather pay $13.5 million next season instead of Lopez. I'd love to pay Drummond, Whiteside, or even Dwight the same money as Lopez is getting - but we know that isn't happening with those three.
Zaza would come way cheaper than 13.5M, so I guess I'd rather pay him. Gosh, everything sucks.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Zaza would come way cheaper than 13.5M, so I guess I'd rather pay him. Gosh, everything sucks.

I'll tell you what - based on purely a money argument, Zaza would probably be my guy. How do you think he'd go over around these parts?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Barnes would be a nice fit for us.

I think we should shed Dunleavy and Gibson, get a PG, add Barnes and play more small ball with Portis at the 5.

If Portis/Mirotic/McD could just defend and rebound at a reasonable clip together.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
No Harrison Barnes is not a nice fit... For anyone.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'll tell you what - based on purely a money argument, Zaza would probably be my guy. How do you think he'd go over around these parts?
If he signs cheap? He'd probably put up ok numbers. Somehow Carlisle pulled a double double out of him last year. Not sure how he fits in Hoiball though.

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dunleavy in a starting line-up anywhere is a fucked up thing.

Aren't double posts wonderful? Great site:(

Stop pressing the "post" button like you have the answer to the next Jeopardy question.