Kruger and Shaw on the trading block ????

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
When it comes down to these Kruger/Shaw rumblings, it obviously all comes down to money. If there were no salary cap or these two were signed to $1mil a year deals for the next 10 years, they would certainly be Blackhawks. The Kruger deal just wasn't a good deal for the Blackhawks to hand out. Not only do I believe it to be slightly above market for a player like Kruger (who overall I really like his game and he does help the Blackhawks win) but if you are the Blackhawks and have big time, long term money tied up in several players, then you can't pay a Kruger type player $3mil a year.

I thought it was 4.5. 3 sounds about right for him.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Whatever gets the job done. They need a veteran type guy that Q trusts to put out there for 15+ minutes a night. Blocking shots and killing penalties are an added bonus.

Absent the word "veteran" that's TVR. And now after 2 rookie seasons he's finally not a rookie anymore.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Brian Campbell isn't young but all the numbers I've found indicate he's still playing a pretty high level. If he can just get within 75 percent of the form he was in during his previous Chicago stint, suddenly the Hawks top four doesn't look so bad for next year, and that also makes the third pairing better.

Guess it comes down to where you want the Hawks to have a hole in their lineup. Bottom 6 forwards or No. 4 D-man? I think solving the No. 4 D-man problem goes a much, much longer way toward getting this team into Cup contention again. I think you can find Bottom 6 forwards throughout the season. I don't think you can do that with No. 4 D.

Also, hard pass on Roman Polak after watching Pittsburgh skate circles around him in the Cup this year. I know your 5-6 D-men aren't going to be all-stars, but they also have to be something.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Brian Campbell isn't young but all the numbers I've found indicate he's still playing a pretty high level. If he can just get within 75 percent of the form he was in during his previous Chicago stint, suddenly the Hawks top four doesn't look so bad for next year, and that also makes the third pairing better.

Guess it comes down to where you want the Hawks to have a hole in their lineup. Bottom 6 forwards or No. 4 D-man? I think solving the No. 4 D-man problem goes a much, much longer way toward getting this team into Cup contention again. I think you can find Bottom 6 forwards throughout the season. I don't think you can do that with No. 4 D.

Also, hard pass on Roman Polak after watching Pittsburgh skate circles around him in the Cup this year. I know your 5-6 D-men aren't going to be all-stars, but they also have to be something.

I don't see why TVR/Gustafson/Pokka/Kempeny can't fill the 5/6 D man spots... assuming you sign Campbell to go with Hammer on the 2nd D pair.

I want TVR to step up and take the #4 spot TBH... maybe he can't but who knows?

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I don't see why TVR/Gustafson/Pokka/Kempeny can't fill the 5/6 D man spots... assuming you sign Campbell to go with Hammer on the 2nd D pair.

I want TVR to step up and take the #4 spot TBH... maybe he can't but who knows?

Yep. I think signing Campbell, assuming he can still play fairly well, will take care of the D corps. And then they can work on filling out the forward depth.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I would really, really, miss Shaw on this team. To me he provides a level of great energy and grit that is needed on a team like the Hawks which isn't a team of thumpers. I would also think that he is the perfect guy in the locker room to keep things loose. That also is important for a team.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't see Soupy taking a discount.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I see us making a running at Lucic. Think Soupy comes back at a discounted price, and we will trade someone the fans will be pissed about

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I see us making a running at Lucic. Think Soupy comes back at a discounted price, and we will trade someone the fans will be pissed about

I know ur thinking Seabrook lol

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
His cap hit was 7 million plus this year and he put up 31 points. Based on that list of available D-men why would he take a lower salary?

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
His cap hit was 7 million plus this year and he put up 31 points. Based on that list of available D-men why would he take a lower salary?

7M.... :cringe:

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
It certainly doesn't happen often, nor should it. These players have 10 - 20 years (if extremely lucky) to make a living for the most part. Sure, there is life after hockey but this is going to be the bulk of their money making for the most part.

I will say this...there is always the possibility. In this case, you have a player towards the end of their career, who made a lot of money (more than they likely "should" have or expected to), and who lives in the Chicago-land suburbs in the offseason. Always that possibility and it would certainly be nice if it did come true because the Blackhawks cap is going to be a tough one for a while. Need to catch some breaks. Then again, if most people could put another $4mil in their pocket over the next 2 years, they probably would.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Does the NHL have "cup chasers" like the NBA has ring chasers? Basically old vets (that are still good) who are willing to go to contenders for cheap contracts to try to win a championship.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Does the NHL have "cup chasers" like the NBA has ring chasers? Basically old vets (that are still good) who are willing to go to contenders for cheap contracts to try to win a championship.

Just one.... his name is Michael Rozival

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Brad Richards just did that with the Hawks.

It helps guys like that when they were bought out which allows them to not think they're underpaid since they still make up the money.

Soupy isn't just taking a discount, nobody is paying the 37 year old anything close to the value of his previous contract signed 7 years ago. 7 Mil isn't anything relevant to his value. Just not as comparable but look at cam Ward, he was making more than Crawford now he signed for 3.3 mil. The price isn't going up if your old or bad.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Soupy won't sign for more than 2.5 heard it from BIGFOOT. Source signs in trees