IST: Cubs @ Miami

cubsmann

Liked Posts:
Found this article on him from 2011..
Looks like history repeating itself

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/whats-with-jason-heyward/

Perhaps the most aggravating trends for Heyward are his propensity to pop the ball up, producing gimme outs, and chop the ball into the ground, failing to make good use of his prodigious power and 6-foot-5, 240 pound frame. His 23 percent infield/fly ball rate is third-highest in the majors, trailing only*Corey Patterson*and*Mark Trumbo. And Heyward’s 57 percent ground ball rate places him among lightweights like*Alexi Casilla,*Kosuke Fukudome*and*Elvis Andrus.

Swinging at more off-the-plate pitches, hitting the ball up the elevator shaft, smacking ground balls like a slap-hitting middle infielder — none of these are good things. But even so, it seems like he has endured some bad luck on balls put in play. His BABIP this season is .256, while his*expected BABIP*sits around .315.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

So not much has changed huh? I have to admit I was excited when he signed with the Cubs but the more I see him play the less i like his game. He has been killing us for the whole season. His glove has been good but the Cubs aren't paying him $21M for his glove...

cubsmann

Liked Posts:
Who actually crying besides omelet
And i think he just being a goof, not really crying

I guess you're right. But the tone changes when the Cubs lose. I know its normal but the amount of bitching and saying "oh well the Cubs probably won't win another game and look for an early exit in the playoffs" is insane. I understand being frustrated. Im frustrated but I know that these things happen and its not something to get all twisted up about. Even if the Cubs lose, they are playing at a .657 pace which means 106 wins. The MLB record is 116 which is not out of the realm of possibility considering the Cubs have been playing .700 ball pretty much the whole season.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
The run differentail and era is a function of a hot start. This is a team that scores "pile on" runs. Tell me about the comebacks and close wins? One of the top 6 teams in baseball...perfect! But are they real favorites to win, don't think so. Only vegas betting favorites due to a zillion Cubs fans
Yes a team going to go into a funk eventually over the season
But
I dont think it a coincidence that it happened after Fowler got hurt last week..

They were 11-5 in June and scored 4 or more in 11 of 16 games..

This last week without Fowler their about to be 2-5 and have scored 4 runs or more 3 times..

So, i think we should hold those thoughts til after Fowler returns and see how they respond offensively then..

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Yes a team going to go into a funk eventually over the season
But
I dont think it a coincidence that it happened after Fowler got hurt last week..

They were 11-5 in June and scored 4 or more in 11 of 16 games..

This last week without Fowler their about to be 2-5 and have scored 4 runs or more 3 times..

So, i think we should hold those thoughts til after Fowler returns and see how they respond offensively then..

So, now it's all on Fowler? Guess they will suck when Fowler leaves next year

Truth is they are an excellent team and one of the top 6 in MLB. They are not among the legendary teams of all time. I remember the nitwits here talking 117 wins. Dont be surprised when they are closer to 97 wins than 117. Don't be surprised if they bow out of the playoffs early.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Truth is they are an excellent team and one of the top 6 in MLB. They are not among the legendary teams of all time. I remember the nitwits her talking 117 wins. Dont be surprised when they are closer to 97 wins that 117. Don't be surprised if the bow out of the playoffs early.

Did your magic egg tell you that or are you just bored today?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I guess you're right. But the tone changes when the Cubs lose. I know its normal but the amount of bitching and saying "oh well the Cubs probably won't win another game and look for an early exit in the playoffs" is insane. I understand being frustrated. Im frustrated but I know that these things happen and its not something to get all twisted up about. Even if the Cubs lose, they are playing at a .657 pace which means 106 wins. The MLB record is 116 which is not out of the realm of possibility considering the Cubs have been playing .700 ball pretty much the whole season.
Of course it changes when they lose, and when they do most dont say anything on here..

Its ok to say shit damn fuvk, when they lose cause its your team and you want them to win..

But again, i think its only omelet who has them folding and one and done in playoff..lol..

chibears55

Liked Posts:
So not much has changed huh? I have to admit I was excited when he signed with the Cubs but the more I see him play the less i like his game. He has been killing us for the whole season. His glove has been good but the Cubs aren't paying him $21M for his glove...
I was so excited, i drafted him in my fantasy league
Im still sticking with him cause im hoping he does eventually explode and get it going

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Of course it changes when they lose, and when they do most dont say anything on here..

Its ok to say shit damn fuvk, when they lose cause its your team and you want them to win..

But again, i think its only omelet who has them folding and one and done in playoff..lol..

I didnt predict them folding, I said dont be surprised if it happens. Learn to comprehend what is written

That said, I look at things realistically, while most Cubs/Bears fans look at things emotionally. You want to say they are the 1939 Yankees that is your right to talk like an idiot

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I didnt predict them folding, I said dont be surprised if it happens. Learn to comprehend what is written

That said, I look at things realistically, while most Cubs/Bears fans look at things emotionally. You want to say they are the 1939 Yankees that is your right to talk like an idiot

Dont be egghausting

chibears55

Liked Posts:

Truth is they are an excellent team and one of the top 6 in MLB. They are not among the legendary teams of all time. I remember the nitwits here talking 117 wins. Dont be surprised when they are closer to 97 wins than 117. Don't be surprised if they bow out of the playoffs early.
No, but i think he a spark and gets things going at top of order

Like i said, it could be coincidental but i dont think it is
We shall see when he returns, how they respond back.

I dont know about 117 wins, but their on a realistic pace of winning between 100-105 barring a huge losing skid from here on out.. that pretty awesome

It all comes down to winning the championship...

They coast through the season, win 100+ games and win the Championship.
This team will be legendary for its accomplishment

The 2016 Cubs will be remembered always

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
No, but i think he a spark and gets things going at top of order

Like i said, it could be coincidental but i dont think it is
We shall see when he returns, how they respond back.

I dont know about 117 wins, but their on a realistic pace of winning between 100-105 barring a huge losing skid from here on out.. that pretty awesome

It all comes down to winning the championship...

They coast through the season, win 100+ games and win the Championship.
This team will be legendary for its accomplishment

The 2016 Cubs will be remembered always

So we agree. This is an excellent team with a chance to win it all. That won't live up to the crazy ass predictions early in the season and if they win the WS will be remembered.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

Sorry, i thought it was you that made a comparison to 1969 in another thread ..

I wasnt around to see the 39 Yankees, so cant really compare teams..

chibears55

Liked Posts:
So we agree. This is an excellent team with a chance to win it all. That won't live up to the crazy ass predictions early in the season and if they win the WS will be remembered.
I was never one who made that statement...

I know we all like to shout out what kind of pace their on, but for me i like to wait til later in season after 100 games.

Then i look to see what a team could realistically win if they play between .500 to .600 ball and of course look and see where they can finish if they play great ball over .600.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I'm not sure anyone thought they were a lock to win 115 games or whatever. I suggested earlier in the year before injuries mounted they had a chance but I still would have put the over under at 105 wins. I'd still take the over on that. And even if you win 115+ games I'm not sure that makes you a legendary team. I don't consider the 2001 M's a legendary team despite them holding the win record. To get to that level you need a lot of luck both in close games and in health. Cubs have had neither. And honestly most of the projection systems still put them on that 105ish win pace. If they win 105 instead of 110 does it really matter? Those same 2001 M's didn't even make the world series. That's the playoffs. They are a crapshoot.

The cubs have a pitching staff that has shown the ability to be dominant in ERA. It's entirely plausible they could shut down 3 series of games like they did early in the season and the cubs stroll to a WS. It's also entirely plausible their offense never shows up and they get bounced like the Mets series last year. But that's the thing, they don't *have* to win this year. They have like 6 position players with more than 2 years of service time and 2 of those are Heyward and Rizzo who are 26. Off the top of my head the only others are Ross, Montero, Zobrist and Fowler. And it's not like they don't have some intriguing young arms. They just aren't here yet other than Hendricks.

cubsmann

Liked Posts:
They're playing .657 ball. That puts them at 106 wins. Now if they get back over .700 there's not a reason to think they won't be talking 115 wins or more. Fowler going down has hurt them for sure but I think more than anything the team is just cold right now. It happens even to the very best teams. Once we get Fowler back I think things will change but more than anything the starting pitching has been pretty bad over the past 10 games. You think this is bad the Nationals have lost 7 in a row and are blowing their lead in the East.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
They're playing .657 ball. That puts them at 106 wins. Now if they get back over .700 there's not a reason to think they won't be talking 115 wins or more. Fowler going down has hurt them for sure but I think more than anything the team is just cold right now. It happens even to the very best teams. Once we get Fowler back I think things will change but more than anything the starting pitching has been pretty bad over the past 10 games. You think this is bad the Nationals have lost 7 in a row and are blowing their lead in the East.
Beck, this is the guy that was projecting 115 wins and 1939 Yankee status

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Fowler was hitting .220 over the last 30 days. Losing him has more to do with the line up jumble vs what he was bringing every day.

Today was winnable. Lackey had a off game. The team scored runs. Rizzo is back and over those 30 days he has batted .375. He was missed.

My opinion is Maddon needs to lead off with Zobrist. He now has that impact bat to go along with Bryant and Rizzo in Contreras. Montero had a quality game and Russell did well.

Over all the game was marred by a few errors and Lackey but the hitting did pick up.

Now that said I'm expecting a loss with Fernandez on the mound. But at least I'm feeling better with Rizzo back

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Hayward has 1.1 WAR so far. The idea that he is "killing" the Cubs is objectively false. Yes, he is having the worst offensive year of his career, but he is still having a net positive impact on the team.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
@TheCCO: #Cubs vs. #Marlins, Fernandez (6/26):
Zobrist 2B
Heyward CF
Bryant 3B
Rizzo 1B
Contreras LF
Montero C
Russell SS
Coghlan RF
Hammel P

Zobrist is back...

Going with offense over defense today as Baez sits and Contreras hot bat stays in LF

What happened to Contreras catching the bulk of Lackey Hendricks and Hammel?
Is it just Hendricks now?