Chicago Bulls draft Denzel Valentine and Paul Zipser

Ron Burgundy

635928949163198169-USATSI-9145956.jpg

Denzel Valentine*is the newest member of the Chicago Bulls. Valentine is a 6-foot-6 guard/forward hybrid out of Michigan State University. He started all four years under Tom Izzy and improved every year, going from a 28.1% three point shooter in his freshman year to a 44.1% last season. He averaged 19.2 points, 7.5 rebounds and 7.8 assists per game in his final year as a Spartan. While not the most athletic player, he is a very smart, heady basketball mind with a high IQ on court. The Bulls love players that are mature as well as upperclassmen and Valentine fits that mold. He can play immediately and figures to have a decent role going forward, maybe even starting next to Jimmy Butler at some point in the year. There are questions about his knees going forward, which is nothing new to Bulls fans. While he only missed 4 games in college, he's said to have "Brandon Roy" type knees that will eventually degenerate. Still, Roy had seven productive seasons in the NBA and while his story is one that you wish you would've wished to see play out fully, seven years is great production to get out of a draft pick. Now the question becomes did the Bulls take him to keep or to package in part of a larger deal? Stay tuned.

More...

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Predraft Measurements
NBA Draft Combine
Height w/o Shoes 6' 4"
Height w/shoes 6' 5.75"
Weight 210
Wingspan 6' 10.75"
Standing Reach 8' 6"
Body Fat 9.2
No Step Vert 27.0
Max Vert 32.0

DirtyDutchDiggler

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. LA Galaxy
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Miami Dolphins
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Miami Hurricanes
So is he a 1 or a 2?

I'd say a rotational 2.

His weaknesses as per nba.com:

Weaknesses
•Not a strong on-ball defender
•Doesn’t have great lateral quickness
•Not explosive going to the rim

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
I like the pick. I think he'll end up being a good fit.

DirtyDutchDiggler

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. LA Galaxy
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Miami Dolphins
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Miami Hurricanes
I like the pick. I think he'll end up being a good fit.

Hope your right. Not completely against the pick. Haven't watched him play but don't we have enough players this those weaknesses.

DCguy

Liked Posts:
He's a good playmaker. Looks to get others involved. Stepped up in big moments. He will be a nice player.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm looking at these later picks....and I think I like Lavert as a better two direction player, someone whose shot you can trust is a natural talent...a little longer and more athletic to be able to learn to defend.

Malichi Richardson would have brought great energy, some scroing and athleticism. Garpax talk about wanting to get younger and more athletic, but they pass on taking the younger more athletic players with good knees, and get suckered into the basketball player. Valentine-Butler-McDermott-Mirotic-Portis is an interesting lineup. All can ball, the feet are a bit slow. Lopez ads some grit to that. And possibly you keep Gibson if you have no better option.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How do we push reset? Can we go back? Blow it up? Start over? Where do we even go from here? Valentine-Butler-McDermott-Mirotic-Portis

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I take it back, I like the pick over Levert. Valentine can do a bit of everything. I hope we try some positionless ball.

stevethacreator

Liked Posts:
Good pick up, you kind of wish he was explosive to the rim, but MAYBE he can work on that? Once he gets use to the NBA level, he could begin to develop. Good shooter, great court vision, great touch on the ball. This was a solid pick. Let's just see what we do in the second round, man.

CubsWin

Liked Posts:
I loved watching Valentine play. GREAT passer and GREAT vision. Makes passes that others can't imagine. If he were more athletic and had better knees he wouldn't be there at 14.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Paul Zipser Selected with the 18th pick of the 2nd round. 6'7" SF from Germany

stevethacreator

Liked Posts:
Only knock on P.Z. is that people are wondering if he can guard NBA wings. What do you guys make of it?

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Only knock on P.Z. is that people are wondering if he can guard NBA wings. What do you guys make of it?

He's a mid-2nd rounder. He wont be able to hack it without a solid long term development plan.

Benchmob757

Liked Posts:
He's a mid-2nd rounder. He wont be able to hack it without a solid long term development plan.

The way I look at it, the majority of picks outside of the lottery need a long term development plan. The second half of the first round can very easily end up not working out whatsoever, we've seen it countless times. The second half of the second round? I don't even want to think about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
so Gar says we're trying to get more athletic

so we draft a guy whose knocks are that hes slow and unathletic

PaytonHighstep

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
so Gar says we're trying to get more athletic

so we draft a guy whose knocks are that hes slow and unathletic

Yeah, after the last year or so, I think we can all see that Gar is a lying p.o.s. He has no business being a GM, until they get rid of GarPax this franchise is in trouble. They can't attract top tier FA's and they haven't drafted well outside of Butler and maybe Portis (still early at this point).