Would you be a fan of legalizing PEDs?

Mitchapalooza

I was discussing this with a friend of mine and he was all for letting athletes use whatever the hell they want. Do you think it takes away from the spirit of the game? As discussed in the other thread, a vast majority of players are probably on something, so would you be a fan of legalizing it in the league?

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think I would rather be naive about it and think they don't take drugs even if they do so I'll go with no.

Parkway Drive

Liked Posts:
I am conflicted.

The reality is that it would likely lead to an increase in PED use in teenagers, 99.99% of whom will never play a sport professionally, but *could* have negative impacts on their development. Also, those people at the professional level who make the choice to keep their body natural and clean, are at a disadvantage. For those reasons I would probably have to go with no.

By the same token, I can see the other side of the argument. This is extreme entertainment, and many athletes already use PEDs anyway. All body builders use anabolic steroids, etc. and everybody knows it. And while it is 'cheating', the truth is, you could not look like Kai Greene (not that most would want to) by doing your same half assed workouts and taking some 'roids. The ridiculous commitment to training, the science of training, pure grit, conscious food choices, and following the disciplined and regimented life style required to reach that level, is immense. Essentially, they are just pushing the boundaries of the sport and the human body with PEDs, but it is a level playing field b/c everybody uses. You could do the same with football and just feign like you still test, but in reality just allow the players to push the boundaries of the sport. Guys running faster, hitting harder, and throwing longer.... that is why we watch the NFL over the CFL or HS football anyways.... the entertainment value.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This thread has already called the movers. :yep:

mecha

Liked Posts:
This thread has already called the movers. :yep:

what does that even mean? I'm not for it, but it's at least a discussion. unless you and the mods think all the other bullshit non-issues that get talked about daily are sufficient.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I didn't say the movers were here yet... on the way but bad traffic.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I do not care if someone takes PED's. Most of the time its the difference between making millions of dollars or working as your neighborhood real estate agent. What are you going to choose? The majority of athletes in the major sports have taken PED's in my estimation. Might as well make it an even playing field. It would also probably be safer for the athlete in the end if regulated.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I do not care if someone takes PED's. Most of the time its the difference between making millions of dollars or working as your neighborhood real estate agent. What are you going to choose? The majority of athletes in the major sports have taken PED's in my estimation. Might as well make it an even playing field. It would also probably be safer for the athlete in the end if regulated.

It will never happen though. With the way the NFL is going and all of the safety issues and trying to make the game safer, they would never allows PEDs to be used.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
It will never happen though. With the way the NFL is going and all of the safety issues and trying to make the game safer, they would never allows PEDs to be used.

Do you not think they turn a blind eye already? Of course, no major sport will make it legal. It would be a turn off to half the fan base and some of it illegal. But, make no mistake. The NFL knows it has a huge PED problem and it tries to hide it

Milton Waddams

Liked Posts:
I'm against it for 2 reasons.

1) Especially for football...these guys are already bigger, faster, stronger than ever before (maybe partially due to PED's, who knows). There are so many injuries & concussions in football. They're just going to happen. If everyone is all roided up, there'll be even more.

2) Let's say there are negative health impacts/long term ramifications from taking PED's (some people believe they're safe if they're taken in a controlled fashion). Player A chooses to take them, despite the long term ramifications. He gets bigger, faster, better. Now player B, who may not want to take PED's, has to take them to stay on a level playing field.

I don't like the "Let doctors prescribe them HGH to get over injuries" argument either. Then, all of the sudden, every guy is going to be taking it to get over an "injury."

Stuff like weed, who gives a shit. But anything that enhances performance should be banned.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
No.....if you allow PEDs you will open up the door more for college and then high school.....not that they would legalize but it would be used more and the blind eye would get worse......I don't want my high schooler getting used to taking PEDs.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
They should be able to take whatever pills they want, but they should only get half a game check if they lose!

f59a1227e523575d31ea0783ee0db5e6.jpg

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Not only would it put pressure on people who wish to keep their body clean to take PEDs, it would also push athletes to take even more dangerous drugs to get an advantage over those who take more routine PEDs. i am against it.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
A lot of high school kids take PED's as well. What do teenage boys care about? Steroids gets them a lot of it.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No. I was a high school baseball coach for a pretty long time and have coached many many very good players who went on to play college ball and/or the pros and one of my biggest tips to those guys was not to use PEDs and cut some guys that I knew were doing it. I also knew that many of the teams that we played against had kids using the shit. Its not hard to tell when you know what to look for.

Now I know that is not the answer to what the question was but just how I feel about the shit that kids take to get an edge on the competition.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
No. I was a high school baseball coach for a pretty long time and have coached many many very good players who went on to play college ball and/or the pros and one of my biggest tips to those guys was not to use PEDs and cut some guys that I knew were doing it. I also knew that many of the teams that we played against had kids using the shit. Its not hard to tell when you know what to look for.

Now I know that is not the answer to what the question was but just how I feel about the shit that kids take to get an edge on the competition.

You proved that they were doing roids and cut them because cutting them over suspicion gets you fired.

Washington

Liked Posts:
2) Let's say there are negative health impacts/long term ramifications from taking PED's (some people believe they're safe if they're taken in a controlled fashion). Player A chooses to take them, despite the long term ramifications. He gets bigger, faster, better. Now player B, who may not want to take PED's, has to take them to stay on a level playing field.

^^^^ this.

Allowing PEDs is another lawsuit waiting to happen. The CTE lawsuits are a reality. When someone freaks out and hurts someone outside the game or they find long-term physical ramifications from taking PEDs, the lawsuits would be flying.

Legalizing PEDs would be a terrible idea.