Would you be a fan of legalizing PEDs?

Don't Care

CCS Jesus
Liked Posts:
To play pro football, these guys already agree that:

A) It's worth the almost-guaranteed risk of CTE and all the negative consequences that entails
B) It's worth the high risk of permanent injury to one or more body parts
C) It's worth the risk of paralysis or death
D) It's worth giving up all your free time in high school and college
E) It's worth giving up your chances at earning a real college degree

The players agree to all of this, and yet you're going to tell me it's not worth risking (from WebMD):

HGH
Nerve, muscle, or joint pain
Swelling due to fluid in the body's tissues (edema)
Carpal tunnel syndrome
Numbness and tingling of the skin
High cholesterol levels

Steroids
Reduce sperm count.
Shrink the testicles.
Cause you not to be able to father children.
Enlarge the breasts.
High blood pressure, heart attack, or stroke.
Higher levels of bad cholesterol (LDL) and lower levels of good cholesterol (HDL).
Liver disease and possibly liver cancer. The chance of these problems is higher when steroids are taken as a pill.
Oily skin, acne, and male-pattern hair loss.
Skin infections that can become severe if the drug was tainted with bacteria.
Irritability, rage, aggression, violence, uncontrolled high energy (mania), false beliefs (delusions), and addiction.

The only sensible argument I might see is that it's unfair that only the kids who can afford these drugs can take them. But I don't see why any of these negative side effects are cause for banning these substances. The players are already in the meat grinder.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

A) It's worth the almost-guaranteed risk of CTE and all the negative consequences that entails

The players agree to all of this, and yet you're going to tell me it's not worth risking (from WebMD):

HGH
Carpal tunnel syndrome
High cholesterol levels

Steroids
Reduce sperm count.
Shrink the testicles.
Enlarge the breasts.
Higher levels of bad cholesterol (LDL) and lower levels of good cholesterol (HDL).
Liver disease and possibly liver cancer. The chance of these problems is higher when steroids are taken as a pill.
Irritability, rage, aggression, violence, uncontrolled high energy (mania), false beliefs (delusions), and addiction.

The only sensible argument I might see is that it's unfair that only the kids who can afford these drugs can take them. But I don't see why any of these negative side effects are cause for banning these substances. The players are already in the meat grinder.

Lol, terrible argument.

mecha

Liked Posts:

HGH
Carpal tunnel syndrome
High cholesterol levels

Steroids
Reduce sperm count.
Shrink the testicles.
Enlarge the breasts.

it's an extensive list of side effects, many tremendously bad. as to why not allow PEDs? well, in the case of steroids, you're making people bigger and stronger than they otherwise naturally would be. that's why not. guys like Ultimate Warrior would go on rants about how steroids were ok, because he was healthy on the inside, and all the wrestlers that died from past steroid abuse were rotting on the inside. dude proceeds to die in a parking lot after WrestleMania weekend. that's why not. the NFL's already got enough stigmas it has to live through, and that's because players want to play that game at their absolute best to win Super Bowl rings. if their eggs get scrambled in their head, fuck it, it's all about winning that Lombardi.

yeah, the shit's pretty shortsighted. and it's for our entertainment. majority of the past players that actually lived old enough to enjoy retirement were the ones not fucking around on cocaine or steroids or headbutting their teammates years ago. then there's the Earl Campbells that just destroyed their bodies playing the game they loved. there's multiple varieties I guess.

Don't Care

CCS Jesus
Liked Posts:
it's an extensive list of side effects, many tremendously bad. as to why not allow PEDs? well, in the case of steroids, you're making people bigger and stronger than they otherwise naturally would be. that's why not. guys like Ultimate Warrior would go on rants about how steroids were ok, because he was healthy on the inside, and all the wrestlers that died from past steroid abuse were rotting on the inside. dude proceeds to die in a parking lot after WrestleMania weekend. that's why not. the NFL's already got enough stigmas it has to live through, and that's because players want to play that game at their absolute best to win Super Bowl rings. if their eggs get scrambled in their head, fuck it, it's all about winning that Lombardi.

yeah, the shit's pretty shortsighted. and it's for our entertainment. majority of the past players that actually lived old enough to enjoy retirement were the ones not fucking around on cocaine or steroids or headbutting their teammates years ago. then there's the Earl Campbells that just destroyed their bodies playing the game they loved. there's multiple varieties I guess.

I can't tell if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me. Scramble the brains but don't mess with the insides? Football already has a ton of stigmas including the perception that most of the players are juicing so why not just admit it?

AussieBear

im always in favor of pussy eating dicks... its da natural way...

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Should they be legal, well of course not. Is it used by 80%+ of the players in the league, well of course it is.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
No. You can't. No matter what sport it is there is no league or governing body of any sport that can shirk such a responsibility. By condoning it, you outright encourage it. Sure , many do it and either disregard the long term effects it will have or think they're immune to it all but you can't put athletes who would never do it, cause they don't want all the negative side effects, in a position where they feel they must do it just to stay on the same level and get paid.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
LOL, a lot of these PED's are illegal controlled substances. By legalizing PED's in sports you'd essentially be telling every local, state, and federal law enforcement agency to investigate your entire pool of players and arrest the guilty ones.

The OP's friend is a moron.

Don't Care

CCS Jesus
Liked Posts:
LOL, a lot of these PED's are illegal controlled substances. By legalizing PED's in sports you'd essentially be telling every local, state, and federal law enforcement agency to investigate your entire pool of players and arrest the guilty ones.

LOL

If that were true why haven't the cops busted Clay Mathews?

A: They haven't found probable cause and no one is investigating since the police are always understaffed.

LOL

Mitchapalooza

I didn't realize how many of them were actually illegally controlled substances. Thought they were just illegal in sports. My bad on that.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I didn't realize how many of them were actually illegally controlled substances. Thought they were just illegal in sports. My bad on that.

This stems all the way back to discussions around MLB in the 80's and 90's. When people say "steroids weren't banned by baseball" as a way to excuse the rampant steroid use by players in that era there are numerous responses to that non-sense.

1. Steroids were banned in baseball. Commissioner Vincent sent out a memo banning them and listing them. The policy had no teeth though because the players wouldn't agree to a CBA where testing was part of it.

2. More to the point of this discussion, regardless of if many of the anabolic steroids in use at that time were "banned by baseball" or not they were banned to be owned, transported, and used/abused by the federal government. I would think the law of the government supercedes the laws of the MLB, NFL, etc.

Don't Care

CCS Jesus
Liked Posts:
If government law supersedes sports leagues, why don't we ever hear about players found with substances in their system getting arrested?

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
LOL

If that were true why haven't the cops busted Clay Mathews?

A: They haven't found probable cause and no one is investigating since the police are always understaffed.

LOL

Remember when the NFL suspended two of the offensive linemen for the Vikings for taking PEDs and they got over-ruled by the courts? I don't remember the particulars of the matter but I do not believe that the two players ever were unable to play a game because of the court ruling.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Remember when the NFL suspended two of the offensive linemen for the Vikings for taking PEDs and they got over-ruled by the courts? I don't remember the particulars of the matter but I do not believe that the two players ever were unable to play a game because of the court ruling.

So basically you are going to bring up an example and then say you have no idea what you are talking about?

Cool.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So basically you are going to bring up an example and then say you have no idea what you are talking about?

Cool.

I was hoping that someone could re-call the incident is all. What the hell is your problem? The point that I made was cogent and factual. Two Minnesota line-men were suspended for substance abuse and the courts over-ruled the NFL punishment.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was hoping that someone could re-call the incident is all. What the hell is your problem? The point that I made was cogent and factual. Two Minnesota line-men were suspended for substance abuse and the courts over-ruled the NFL punishment.

It was their defensive lineman and it was over a weight loss supplement. It was over ruled because it was a bogus suspension.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
HGH-Yes, but only in a controlled environment. monitored and prescribed by a physician. Needs to be a cap too.

Steriods-No