Liked Posts:
Civilization, also known as Massachusetts
Salute! A great coach.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ryan wasn't a bad coach but it's easy/amazing to see how many bad coaches got hired in his era. For an NFL Head Coach to have zero idea of offensive strategy or even the playbook is pretty insane. Just a very interesting era of coaching hires.

Ryan's comments about "running the God damn ball" because he had no idea about offense reminded me of Trestman's press conferences after he was hired and hearing the huge disparity in how his comments about the defensive side of the ball sounded compared to the offensive. I still remember posting here that it was a bit concerning to hear him stumble his way through questions about the defense.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lived a good long life, accomplished a bunch. RIP.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I guess its typical for a team to hire the coordinators of the Super Bowl champion, but you would think that Buddy Ryan's personality would have raised red flags. Probably the opposite was true...Buddy was such a personality that he already had a recognizable name. No one really cared when the Redskins hired Joe Gibbs from Coryell's staff, or when the Niners hired Bill Walsh a couple years removed from the Bengals staff. No fans or media people knew who Gibbs or Walsh was at the time of the hire. EVERYONE knew who Buddy Ryan was when the Eagles hired him to be head coach.
As bad as Ryan was he was replaced by Rich Kotite.........

Gag.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ryan's tenure in Philly was interesting. The team was terrible before Ryan got there, and he improved the talent level immensely on both sides of the ball. The defense obviously got better. Ryan's undoing was Randall Cunningham's consistently terrible playoff performances. Kotite was elevated to HC because he was an offensive guy, and the Eagles owner thought that Kotite could provide enough offense to get the Eagles a championship.

Ironically, had Ryan known anything about offense he could have/would have fired Kotite and brought in a new OC who had a clue.

PAPABEAR77

Liked Posts:
Buddy thanks for the 85 bears you will always be a legend in Chicago

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
The real Head Coach of the 85 Bears

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
The defensive players loved him and continued to visit him after he was too sick to go anywhere. RIP.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I heard that Kotite seriously undermined Buddy in that 1990 season, badmouthing Buddy to the owner and convincing the owner to replace Buddy with him. This was common knowledge in the NFL. Kotite's behavior normally would have made him a pariah in NFL coaching circles, but since most of the other NFL coaches hated Buddy Ryan as well, they turned a blind eye to Kotite's actions.

The 80's and 90's were just such an odd time for NFL coaching hires. Yeah, you still get bad coaching hires today(obviously) but even when the Bears hired the trainwreck known as Trestman they were dealing with choosing between him Bruce Arians, Andy Reid, etc qualified NFL assistants or former HC's who had their shit together. Most of the NFL coaching hires nowadays I would label as "good". The 80's and 90's was filled with guys like Kotite, Mike Shula, Forrest Gregg, etc.

Ron Turner likely would have gotten a head coaching gig in the 80's. Just a REALLY odd time to me.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rip

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't understand why some on here have to talk about Buddy's shortcomings right after he died. What is the point you are trying to make? Remember him right now for the good he brought to the Chicago Bears.

No one is trying to make any point. We are discussing football.

STFU.

Unannounced Fart

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Southern California Trojans
Although they had a fierce rivalry while they were both coaches, Bill Parcells admitted years later that Buddy Ryan influenced the NFL more than even Bill Walsh. RIP Buddy.