4 yr 44 million, WR Allen....Jeffery worth?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Another hilarious anecdote of Rory's I'm not sure what point being made but silliness...

is the line "Chicago would be screwed without Jeffery, and Keenan doesn't matter to San Diego." or whoever said that, a person who clearly did not follow San Diegos 2015-2016 campaign...because San Diego was completely screwed without Allen.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, that would be pretty Special person to apply what I said to a mid-season injury. My point was that if the Chargers chose not to bring back Allen this offseason, they could have used $44M to bring in a comparable WR. Phil Rivers has shown that he can operate at a consistent high level despite an ever-changing WR corps. Jeffery is easily the best WR the Bears have drafted since Harlon Hill in the 1950's. If the Bears are unable to lock up Jeffery to a long-term deal, there is no way they are going to spend $50-60M on an FA WR to replace him. They will have to settle for someone much worse than Jeffery.

Sorry if that was too complicated of a thought for you. BTW, the Chargers were 2-6 with Allen, and went 2-6 without Allen. Yeah, I didn't follow San Diego's 2015-2016 campaign, which I'm sure you did, but I'm just stating facts.

Yeah...but they were a completely dead stick worthless team the second half of the year, rivers performing miracles just for them to lose by a little.
That was as depleted a roster I have ever seen, and yet they played us to a TD game, had a chance to win. By the end it wasn't just Allen, but every weapon except Woodhead sometimes, and the entire o-line.

I'm not sure Jeffery is irreplacable, if he went to Carolina I would suck my thumb and hope we got Kelvin Benjamin on HIS next contract. And we would have 55,000,000-60,000,000 in your scenario to spend on a WR, or comparable impact to the team.

I'm in the Kevin White's upside is an average to good with positive blocking #2 WR in the NFL...so I'm with you. If the Bears are being cheap..they are being stupid, they won't easily replace Jeffery (just as San Diego could not easily replace Allen...that was a draft pick hit for them and he panned out better then several WR's drafted before and just after him from a talent perspective).

I enjoyed the discussion though Rory...you defended yourself well.

mecha

Liked Posts:
I like Rory's posts. I like FirstTimer's posts. the way how they thankGANGBANG each other over everything they say is kind of weird though.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Time for some kuma's korner

-- tapatalkin'!

Bronze65

Liked Posts:
LOL at me being the "sensitive" one here. This thread took on a bitchiness life of its own after I had tapped out. All of your football related comments are BS.

The most obvious point is that Jeffery is going to command well over $44M on the open market, so I'm not sure how Allen's contract is indicative of him being 'comparable' to Jeffery. Allen is 'absolutely a red zone threat', yet had 4 TDs last year and 16 TDs in his NFL career. Allen is a "big boy", but is 6-2 206. Allen's contract somehow has several discounts. Allen's value as a player is the same as Jeffery's. Just some great stuff.

FYI, commas always go inside quotation marks.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought I would go easy this week... may have been a mistake.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
As long as you acknowledge my awesomeness, we are cool.

you are pretty awesome with stats and information...

I'm not going to say your interpretations are wrong but the confidence level you place on them is sometimes unjust and why you run into these spats day in day out. Something to consider.

I think the angle maybe missing is just how good of a steal Keenan Allen was at 44. He was drafted a year AFTER Jeffery though, so he took the early sign discount as they were wise enough to wrap up their stud early, whereas we are going to lose him or pay out the ass. Bear Down!

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
For me, this is Jeffrey's season to try and show the world what he really can do. He is pretty much playing for an elite contract so if he is healthy it is really all on him to PROVE himself to be up there with the really elite receivers in the league. There is nothing wrong with proving yourself to be a number two receiver in the league. A lot of guys earn big bucks during their careers being a good receiver. But he has not shown himself yet of being a star in the league.