Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Journalism 2016.

Hey uhhhh... this team will likely do what they usually do.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Eh who cares if they have enough to offer the max or not, the player they potentially get with it won't be worth the money anyway...or they won't sign anyone, a just as likely possibility.

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
If all they do is resign Moore it's akin to a .500 record version of tanking they might as well kept Rose and waited until next year.

If Barnes makes a leap to be a strong second option then it becomes a great move to sign him. If he's about where he is now for the amount of money he is expected to get, they would have thrown away much of their chances. If you rate players 1-10 when you're going to sign FAs for big money you want to step up from the players you already have from a 4 to a 7 or 8. It doesn't make sense to sign a 7 if the guy you've got is a 6. I just think signing Barnes means they have to trade McDermott because he's not worth having if he doesn't get playing time to improve, he's a #7 pick trade him for some undrafted guy who doesn't take up cap space.

Looking at the players in the article I'd be more interested in someone like Mo Harkless, Alan Crabbe who might, like Barnes, be players who you hope haven't reached as high as the team that drafted them thought but make a big improvement when they got to their second team.

I really have no interest in guys like Mayo, Turner, Jones, Gordon, Stephenson, Hairston Williams who have kicked around to several teams and still aren't becoming front line players. They would do just as well to not sign anybody and sit on the cap space.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Why does anyone still believe Barnes is magically going to become a 2nd option? He's a career role player. He's not a good ball handler whatsoever and can't really create for himself. He's a spot up 3 & D player. There's nothing wrong with that, but when you're talking max money with the hopes of him becoming a 2nd or even 3rd option, you're setting yourself up for failure.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
Why does anyone still believe Barnes is magically going to become a 2nd option? He's a career role player. He's not a good ball handler whatsoever and can't really create for himself. He's a spot up 3 & D player. There's nothing wrong with that, but when you're talking max money with the hopes of him becoming a 2nd or even 3rd option, you're setting yourself up for failure.

Because he has that Iowa pedigree, duh.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
I think we will see closer to last years predictions 89 this season. 89 would give them about 20 million to spend. So not enough for a max player. That won't be enough for a max player though.

It's over $89mill for sure. The majority of sites are reporting around $94 million. A six year max player starts @ $22mill so the Bulls will have the space to work with, not that they will really use any of it other than resigning Moore and the inevitable Kirk Hinrich signing.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It is insane the amount of money that for shit basketball players make. For playing a sport that is becoming more and more unwatchable. I have nothing against star players that put people into the seats getting paid millions of bucks but for scrubs riding the stars coattails it is horrible. Next year the Bulls will be a terrible team yet will only have one guy that can be considered a "star" in Butler. Yet, everyone on that team will be making millions of dollars. I know that nothing will change but it is ludicrous.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
WOW. I did not think the jump wold be that much. maybe they will have enough. That still seems kind of high to me. I was thinking mid 80's.
*Follow

Marc SteinVerified account‏@ESPNSteinLine

The NBA just officially announced a $94.1 million salary cap -- and an $84.7 million salary FLOOR per team -- for next season

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
Bulls appear to be working on a deal with Rajon Rondo. There's a twitter picture of him in a Chicago airport with a Bulls I-pad in his hand.

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
If you're looking for a rumor, and one that would make a lot of sense

The market for Pau Gasol appears to be around $18-22MM per year with the Raptors, Bulls, Blazers, Wolves and Spurs among the teams talking with him, according to Ramona Shelburne of ESPN.com (ESPN Now link).

Let's say they get Gasol to return and he starts at the 4 with Lopez in the middle. Offensively Pau can play a little more outside as Lopez isn't a big outside threat, and on defense since Lopez is the rim protector when Gasol gets beat on the outside there's someone in the paint behind him.

What Gasol would do is overload the PF slot. I would say ideally you keep Portis and he backs up Gasol who can slide to the 5 at times and you allow Felicio time to develop. Maybe you keep Gibson until the trade deadline when you see who is healthy and/or improving. With that being the plan the first option is look for a team seeking a stretch 4 and trade Mirotic who can't play the 5. Second option is trade Gibson, possibly for a wing player with a comparable salary.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
if they re-sign Gasol im done with this team

czman

Liked Posts:
*Follow

Marc SteinVerified account‏@ESPNSteinLine

The NBA just officially announced a $94.1 million salary cap -- and an $84.7 million salary FLOOR per team -- for next season

I wish they would not have traded Rose now. When people strike out on FA they could have traded him to someone for nothing in return. I would rather have the money than what they are paying Lopez and Calderon.

On a side note. Gibson is now worth a first. Niko may be worth a first. Butler is probably worth 2 or 3 firsts.

Might even be able to get a first for Lopez if he can build some value. I would love to see this team get 4 or so unprotected first rounders a few years in the future