ALMOST OFFICIAL: Campbell to give Hox discount

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mark Lazerus of the Sun Times, sitting in with Kaplan on ESPN1000 today is saying the Hox have a deal in place for 37 year old Brian Campbell worth in the range of 1.5 to 1.75 mil per year.

Do it Stan.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
Would certainly be good news if true. Have to wonder how many years the contract would be for, especially with the expansion draft just a year away. Campbell can still skate, so not too worried about him being 37 years old. Same reason why Keith's contract length isn't too much of a deal. If you can skate in this league, you have a chance to do pretty damn well for a long period of time, considering the wheels seem to be one of the first things to go.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'll believe it when it happens.

Edit: PS I'd love to have Soupy back.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No athlete takes a home town discount.... will never happen :troll:

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No athlete takes a home town discount.... will never happen :troll:

I agree it rarely happens, he has made the big money already and would definitely get more elsewhere. Who knows what he's thinking. Another chance for a cup in the Madhouse with his old buds has to have some appeal to a guy at the end of his career.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Mark Lazerus of the Sun Times, sitting in with Kaplan on ESPN1000 today is saying the Hox have a deal in place for 37 year old Brian Campbell worth in the range of 1.5 to 1.75 mil per year.

Do it Stan.

I'd be absolutely stunned and simultaneously ecstatic if this happens.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I don't see this as a hometown discount. This is an aging vet wanting to go to a team that gives home a chance to win the cup discount. I think the hometown discount is applied as a catchall when in reality it's not really used.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't see this as a hometown discount. This is an aging vet wanting to go to a team that gives home a chance to win the cup discount. I think the hometown discount is applied as a catchall when in reality it's not really used.

Yeah...actually you see this with championship chasers in the NBA too. Ray Allen comes to mind. There have been a bunch others in the final two years of career.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I agree it rarely happens, he has made the big money already and would definitely get more elsewhere. Who knows what he's thinking. Another chance for a cup in the Madhouse with his old buds has to have some appeal to a guy at the end of his career.

I've been seeing him pop up on CSN when hockey news comes up, maybe he's got something cooking there in his post hockey future. He came across as informed and comfortable on the air. Nothing concrete but it could warrant a cap friendly deal and move back into the area.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
#calledit

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I have to say I hope they don't see Campbell as our #4 Dman.... I think he can be a 5/6 for us, but I don't like the idea of making him the 4.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have to say I hope they don't see Campbell as our #4 Dman.... I think he can be a 5/6 for us, but I don't like the idea of making him the 4.

Q be changing pairings a lot, but yea he should be a 5 or 6. Michal Kempny will get a good look at for the 4th spot.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I foresee him being a 6 during the season in the old Rozy role, except maybe stepping up his minutes in the playoffs. 37 year old = 6 (4 playoffs)

I think TVR can get better this offseason, I think Svedberg and Gus can solidify a level of play in the attacking 5th/powerplay defender role, and they may be pushed by Forsling/Pokka to earn that spot and keep it.

Kempny will be an interesting twist. If those 5 young guys can all take little steps though, thats at the very least good trade bait (especially the upside in Svedberg/Pokka) if we have a surpluss of third tier defensive talent that can be a 5 somewhere else.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Considering how the D played last season, he's a lock for #3. :)

In all seriousness, for slotting reasons he'd likely anchor the bottom pair and try to pull the rookies along--since he can actually do that even if they suck defensively, like Leddy did.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
As mentioned in the other thread, where does the resigning of Rosi and Mash leave Soupy with all the other possible additions coming in on D.