Offseason

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah...you forgot Gus. http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-blackhawks/blackhawks-agree-two-year-deal-d-erik-gustafsson This wave is big and athletic. Gus/TVR/Svedberg can all improve for us and I think each of them will in their own way. That will be huge. Gus has offense but needs to learn to defend. Svedberg needs to get faster. TVR needs to play up to that 4 level, which may be easier in the 5/6 role, but his and Kempny's depth is there if injury. Nice.

I'm reading Ares now, and yeah...maybe all 3 rotate at 4 and we see who sticks, but come playoffs plan is 4 Soup. I'd eat that.

The next wave will be here when those contracts are moved expired.

Pokka/Forsling/ and Joni Tuulola is the finnish prospect I refer to sometimes, 20 years old, 6'2", 175 and growing. Needs to be 190-200 and able to skate, could add something. played first pairing on Championship Finnish World Jr's team. Also Carl Dahlstrom on 3 year contract,

Wing prospects I'm looking forward to their opportunities this year Hartman, Baun, Hinostroza the skater, Radke, Bondra (big Slovakian), Olofson (probably the year after), Hayden (big strong athletic Center), and Schmaltzi. Norrell and Gnott maybe the year after.

Basically, same old Hawks boys...we are loaded, deep, got youth coming out of our ears and will be able to make whatever trades we need to, though draft picks are getting thin. Stan just needs to calm down, trust his scouts and let this crop develop and fill into the squad.

I think we are going to be ok....I just got depressed for 3 months because I thought we had something but those damn wrestlers pretending to be a hockey team. Fucking A.

Very dissappointed not to see that group we had play agains the skill teams like San Jose, Penguins (because we would have eviscerated that fucking goalie and embarrassed his family for generations).

So...its what many of us have been saying!!! we weren't big enough or strong enough last year or deep enough on defense. We ran into that matchup that kept us from playing skill hockey. We need more balance which is why Shaw leaving sucks...but can be addition by subtraction. We don't need Shaw doing the scoring, we need guys that allow Kane/Toews to do less dirty work and do the scoring.

EDIT: When I look at that wing list...I do scratch my head a bit on the Mashinter...but lets remember how we lost last year. Those big guys need an extra 1-2 development years. Give him a chance to grow into something.

That is correct, sir. I did indeed forget the Guster.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ladd signed with the Isles

7 years 5.5 million per cap hit.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Wasn't he at 7M on his old contract?

EDTI:

His salary was 7,142,875 thru the end of this past season.

Yeah, but that was his last contract, no one is going to give a 37 year old 4th D-man for 7mil.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It doesn't seem bad, but I don't see Soupy as a #4.... and no one else in that list is a definite #4 right now, plenty of bottom 2 D men.... someone needs to step into that 2nd D pairing and lock that spot down.

My hope is TVR or Kempny lock down that #4 spot next to Hammer.

Given his age, you have a point. But if he can still skate and move the puck, he just might be a good match with the slower Hammer. I mean the combo of the slower Seabs with the fast and agile Keith has worked well for quite awhile in Q's system. I guess it depends on what Soupy's got left in the tank.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Ladd signed with the Isles

7 years 5.5 million per cap hit.

Welp, you plug one hole and another opens up. At the moment, they are awfully short up front. I thought they might try to bring him back, but as usual....money talks. No way they could come close to 5.5.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lots of 5,6,7 year contracts being signed today.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Brouwer signs with the Flames, 4 years 4.5 million per year caphit.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Considering that Campbell carried Leddy, and Leddy couldn't play D...Getting soupy back is great. We have 3 d-men that can be trusted in the back end--4, if Seabs bounces back next year.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
The length of the contract is pretty interesting to me today. A lot of players who are signing 2 or 3 year deals could be leaving themselves open to the expansion draft process. I'm sure that is something that players and teams are thinking about today.

Also wonder if Campbell wants to stick around and play for longer than a year, but both parties didn't want to leave him open to the expansion process with a contract in place.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
2M.... I can deal wit dat....

Now where is DMelt so I can rub his face in Soupy taking an obvious discount.... 7M -> 2M?

Well I was going to respond to that, but MH beat me to it.

Yeah, but that was his last contract, no one is going to give a 37 year old 4th D-man for 7mil.

The funny part being that, if you remember correctly, that was the final year of the deal Campbell was initially given by the Hawks.

While Campbell certainly wasn't going to get 7 mildo again, he reportedly did take a "hometown discount" to come to the Hawks.

I'm stunned. I'm also ecstatic, because Brian Campbell is so fucking fun to watch.

And on a wholly unrelated note, LOLOLOLOLOLOL at David Backes getting 5 years, $30 million. Fucking hilarious!

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well I was going to respond to that, but MH beat me to it.

The funny part being that, if you remember correctly, that was the final year of the deal Campbell was initially given by the Hawks.

While Campbell certainly wasn't going to get 7 mildo again, he reportedly did take a "hometown discount" to come to the Hawks.

I'm stunned. I'm also ecstatic, because Brian Campbell is so fucking fun to watch.

And on a wholly unrelated note, LOLOLOLOLOLOL at David Backes getting 5 years, $30 million. Fucking hilarious!

That is funny, also he was only getting 4.5 before that, surprising.

I can now dust off the old number 51.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
Stars get Hamhuis. Not surprising considering he wanted to go to the Blackhawks or Stars last trade deadline. Hamhuis will definitely help the Stars on the back end but they still need to improve after a few Dmen exited (assuming Demers does as well) this offseason.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Doesn't sound like the Hawks are going to do much else today, but I'd be willing to bet they'll need some forward depth before this offseason ends.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Weise signed with the Flyers, 4 years 2.35 million per

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Doesn't sound like the Hawks are going to do much else today, but I'd be willing to bet they'll need some forward depth before this offseason ends.

They could use some. Even then they're going to have to bank on a lot of young guys making immediate contributions:

Panarin / Toews / Hossa
Panik / Anisimov / Kane
Motte / Rasmussen / Schmaltz
Desjardins / Kruger / Hartman
Mashinter

Keith / Seabrook
Campbell / Hjalmarsson
Kempny / van Riemsdyk
Rozsival

Crawford / Darling

The 1st, 2nd, and 4th lines will be okay, the 3rd line could be a train wreck. It's quite a ways from Sharp / Vermette / Teravainen

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Blackhawks signed Sam Carrick UFA C, 1 year $575,000, he was an untendered RFA that becaome UFA today, formerly of the Laffs.

5th round pick 2010.

Edit 19 games with the Laffs over last 2 seasons

-according to Capfriendly.com