Bulls sign Rajon Rondo for 2 years, $28 million

Glide2keva

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He is not an upgrade over Rose. This is terrible.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
He is not an upgrade over Rose. This is terrible.

He's not really a downgrade either. He'll allow Jimmy to be the man and look to get others involved. Also, Grant is really going to surprise some people.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
Rondo is better than Calderon atleast

Hoiberg supposedly liked Rondo allot

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
there conflicting reports on the 2nd year of the deal. some are saying its partially guaranteed, fully guaranteed or theres a "mutual buyout"

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Fred actually gets a high IQ PG which Derrick was far from. I've heard from numerous players and coaches that Rondo is the smartest player they've ever been around. He'll run the offense, get guys easy looks (Niko/Doug especially) and allow Jimmy to be the primary scorer. I think you have to start Valentine though to space the floor.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Financially, it's a good deal. Flexible and Rondo is worthy of that cash considering some of the deals we have seen.

As far as how this works on the court, I don't know. Rondo is still one of the best passers and pure PG's in the league. He really lacks in the scoring department though with a pretty putrid jump shot and free throw %.

Then you have to look at his personality. He hasnt been the most laid back personality since he came in the league so how will he interact with a young coach in Hoiberg and Jimmy Butler?

Enasic

Liked Posts:
ehhh well atleast he wont jump pass and hit our shooters near their feet

Haha...Rose was terrible at setting up shooters. His passes were hardly ever right in the pocket....so many times it would be right at their feet. His timing and placing on passes is just extremely poor for a PG. Those jump passes are atrocious too.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
I'm not sure how he'll exist with Fred..personally I don't care because Fred isn't the answer anyways. He needs to go sooner than later. I do think that with Rajon, Jimmy, Valentine and Portis, there will be some swag to the team that we haven't had in a long time.

DCguy

Liked Posts:
Jimmy and Rondo are both ball dominate players. This will be interesting.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
Rondo did lead the league in assists last season and had little locker room problems, despite being on the Kings. However, he is a complete liability from a scoring stand point. No shot outside of 10' and a putrid career 61% from the FT line (get ready for Hack-A-Rondo Bulls fans!). His history as petulant and moody is well documented but his bball IQ is unquestioned among players and coaches in the league. It's not a completely horrible signing, especially if year 2 is a partial guarantee, but it is certainly head scratching. GarPax have spent no time in going back on the plan they drew up a week ago when they traded Rose.

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
The Hawk got his wish

awaiting his response. he can't possibly have nice things to say about Garfield Goose and Reiny can he?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
damnit.

I said it could be worse and do hope he can teach Valentine, but this is pretty fuckin stupid.

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
We'll see how the deal is structured, that second year being the key. The Bulls wouldn't be looking to next off season for 2 max FAs and lock themselves into Rondo who may or may not work out.

On the upside he did lead the league in assists for a lousy team and lousy teams usually have guys looking out for themselves and their stat sheet so as the PG he had the ball in his hands. Optimistically, there are some players who have to get bounced from a team or 3 to get it through their heads they need to change their attitudes. If the second year of the contract isn't a guaranteed $14 million you can hope that he's on his best behavior to stay and get that money or to be a FA again next year and impress some other team.

I wonder if you don't see them trying to trade Calderon because if they want to look at Grant Calderon is sitting at the far end of the bench.