Bulls sign Rajon Rondo for 2 years, $28 million

Naptastic

Liked Posts:
Eh. As long as its not a long term deal. I would say they should just get a young PG and try to develop him, but that would make too much sense.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
Eh. As long as its not a long term deal. I would say they should just get a young PG and try to develop him, but that would make too much sense.

Agreed. At least he can pass and drive, should be able to get good looks for everyone else, something Rose wasn't very good at.

DirtyDutchDiggler

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. LA Galaxy
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Miami Dolphins
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Miami Hurricanes

Thanks. I brought up Rondo a while ago when we still had Rose. Moving Rose to the SG position somewhat similar to the way Curry and Ellis played together. Rondo has a knack for finding the open man. I hate his attitude but you must respect the game. I honestly think Hoiberg can't control him but who knows unless you try. If he has a vet like Wade next to him it could get interesting. Wade though I think is going back to Miami, using us to get at Riley. I think the Ipad could honestly be just swag used by management to try and sway him. I don't think there is anything behind it. I don't doubt swag is used by teams to lure FAs.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It'll be interesting how he gets coached up by Freddie?

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
Thanks. I brought up Rondo a while ago when we still had Rose. Moving Rose to the SG position somewhat similar to the way Curry and Ellis played together. Rondo has a knack for finding the open man. I hate his attitude but you must respect the game. I honestly think Hoiberg can't control him but who knows unless you try. If he has a vet like Wade next to him it could get interesting. Wade though I think is going back to Miami, using us to get at Riley. I think the Ipad could honestly be just swag used by management to try and sway him. I don't think there is anything behind it. I don't doubt swag is used by teams to lure FAs.

If they get Rondo, I doubt they continue to pursue Wade. Not enough balls for Rondo, Wade, and Butler, nor would there be enough shooters.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why would the Bulls try to win next year. No offense, but yall are a mediocre team with no shot at a title or the East. You may sneak into the playoffs. The draft is extremely strong next year. Get into the lottery and leverage Butler and rebuild the team. Yall dont recruit stars and have no one on the team thats going to bring you to the promise land. You have to build a foundation. Piecing together a mediocre team every year isnt going to change this franchise.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Why would the Bulls try to win next year. No offense, but yall are a mediocre team with no shot at a title or the East. You may sneak into the playoffs. The draft is extremely strong next year. Get into the lottery and leverage Butler and rebuild the team. Yall dont recruit stars and have no one on the team thats going to bring you to the promise land. You have to build a foundation. Piecing together a mediocre team every year isnt going to change this franchise.

Why do people think we would be bad enough to get a high lottery pick? Let's see who we lost:

Rose
Gasol
Noah
ET

Rose was the worst player in the league for the 1st half of the season and average to maybe slightly above average the 2nd half....but he and Jimmy did not play well together. Noah missed most of the season and while Gasol was good offensively, he was completely terrible defensively. In part because Rose refused to fight over screens and the other part being Gasol has the slowest feet in the known universe. ET was a solid player, but Grant and either Rondo or Wade will certainly be an upgrade as far as play makers go.

What we added:

Lopez
Grant
Valentine

Lopez is a legit C and the type of defensive player we severely missed last season. Grant is going to surprise people and Valentine may be able to contribute. Jimmy also missed time last year. If he stays healthy and has an even bigger season without Rose (which he should), why does anyone think we're going to get a high pick in the lottery? It's not going to happen.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why do people think we would be bad enough to get a high lottery pick? Let's see who we lost:

Rose
Gasol
Noah
ET

Rose was the worst player in the league for the 1st half of the season and average to maybe slightly above average the 2nd half....but he and Jimmy did not play well together. Noah missed most of the season and while Gasol was good offensively, he was completely terrible defensively. In part because Rose refused to fight over screens and the other part being Gasol has the slowest feet in the known universe. ET was a solid player, but Grant and either Rondo or Wade will certainly be an upgrade as far as play makers go.

What we added:

Lopez
Grant
Valentine

Lopez is a legit C and the type of defensive player we severely missed last season. Grant is going to surprise people and Valentine may be able to contribute. Jimmy also missed time last year. If he stays healthy and has an even bigger season without Rose (which he should), why does anyone think we're going to get a high pick in the lottery? It's not going to happen.

Thats the point. The league is built on stars not middle of the road guys. Also, if you are in the lottery and have Butler. You could make some way better moves.

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
Read that the Kings are 'moving on' from Rondo to go with Collison and look for a backup FA so that takes away some of his bargaining power. I'd at least call the Kings and see if they wanted Calderon in a sign and trade for Rondo just to have a veteran backup with an expiring deal.

I would really want t try ondo on a one year deal. Yeah he can play but he's a lousy locker room guy and I don't know if the Bulls have the leader who will smack Rondo upside the head when he acts up and is hurting the team. You don't want a knucklehead acting up when you've got young guys like Valentine, McDermott, Portis trying to do the right thing.

And here's why you look skeptically at some of these "great" reporters
7:03pm: Rondo and the Bulls have a “mutual option” on year two of the deal, tweets Vincent Goodwill of CSN Chicago (Twitter link). That means either side can opt out next offseason.

6:17pm: The second year of Rondo’s deal is only partially guaranteed, tweets Brian Windhorst of ESPN.com.

5:57pm: Point guard Rajon Rondo has agreed to a two-year, $28MM contract with the Bulls, tweets Marc J. Spears of The Undefeated. The entire contract is guaranteed and neither side has an option, tweets Sam Amick of USA Today, who reports the deal at $30MM over two seasons.

3 guys with completely different stories that they're all so sure of

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Thats the point. The league is built on stars not middle of the road guys. Also, if you are in the lottery and have Butler. You could make some way better moves.

You're assuming we would land in the lottery without them. I'm not convinced of that. If we did land in the lottery we would most likely be picking around 12-14 like this past season. That's not going to get you your star player.

What would be more attractive if you were a free agent: Jimmy Butler and say the 12th pick in the draft or Jimmy Butler, Wade, and a team that played well and competed in the playoffs? Plus a 1st round pick at say, 20?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
You're assuming we would land in the lottery without them. I'm not convinced of that. If we did land in the lottery we would most likely be picking around 12-14 like this past season. That's not going to get you your star player.

What would be more attractive if you were a free agent: Jimmy Butler and say the 12th pick in the draft or Jimmy Butler, Wade, and a team that played well and competed in the playoffs? Plus a 1st round pick at say, 20?

Wade isnt coming. This is a Rondo thread. No big FA care to play with Butler and Rondo. Butler sure, but not Rondo. Also, Rondo and Butler will not make you competitive in the playoffs.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Wade isnt coming. This is a Rondo thread. No big FA care to play with Butler and Rondo. Butler sure, but not Rondo. Also, Rondo and Butler will not make you competitive in the playoffs.

Competitive as in competing for a title? No. Competitive as in a tough out in the playoffs? I think so. Also, how can you say no FA care to play with Rondo? I don't buy that at all. Boogie Cousins said he would kid nap Rondo to make him re-sign. You don't think other star players like his game? You have a much better chance luring free agents with known players like Rondo as opposed to unknown players at the very bottom of the lottery.

cyclones12321

Liked Posts:
Understand rondo might not be the best locker room guy but sure as hell I'd be pumped if we sign him

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
Getting Rondo would be dumb. Hoiberg wouldn't even be able to handle him.

czman

Liked Posts:
I guess they are trying to find a PG who is a worse shooter than Rose. This move makes more sense if Thibs is coaching with his defense first mentality. Bad fit for the current roster and team. Trading Lopez for Gasol and picking up Rondo will make the Bulls one of the worst shooting teams in the league.

Troy23

Liked Posts:
Confirmed. Bulls agree to deal with Rajon Rondo, 2 years $28 million

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:

if you want you can merge this with the existing Rondo thread and just change the title/post the tweet in the OP.