IST: Reds @ Cubs

CSF77

Liked Posts:
?

The cubs are 17th in the league in k rate among non-pitchers at 20.6%. They are essentially league average(20.5%). The 5 highest k rates on the team are Schwarber who took 5 PAs and is out for the season, Candelario who should still be in AAA but injuries, Coghlan who's a bench bat, Federowicz who's an emergency catcher and Contreras who again probably should still be in AAA but injuries. Russell is the worst starter at 25.4%.

Contreras was brought up regardless of the results. The fact he is excelling is amazing.

We need to stop looking at fault and start looking a what they have been doing also.

Contreras: .977 OPS Montero sits at a .634 That just shows how much value they are putting into the D side of catching over the O side. Getting him up to speed pays off the most right now.

Cog hasn't played enough recently to merit much. But neither has Almora. Neither should be on the team right now. Cog .661 OPS. Almora .735 is respectable.

Heyward the only healthy one has ran a .649 OPS. Pedestrian at best. I would be embarrassed to take my pay check right now.

Russell and Baez: .754/.773 respectively. Pretty close. I feel the talent is on par with each other right now. Makes sense are they were next to each other in their prospect rankings.

Zobrist, Bryant and Rizzo all have OPS over .800. Fowler was up with them. They are not the problem as Contreras also has been a asset here.

Getting
Fowler back helps but doesn't change the lack of production coming from Montero and Heyward. Those 2 are a drain to the line up over all. What it does is reduces input from Almora and Cog. But they are not seeing much action anyways with Heyward in CF. So adding him pushes Heyward's low OPS back to RF full time and puts Bryant in either LF or 3B which reduces AB's to Contreras or Baez who have been caring their weight. While Montero still soaks up low OPS value AB's to cater to the staff with his framing skills.

See how it works.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Contreras was brought up regardless of the results. The fact he is excelling is amazing.

I mean I wasn't suggesting he's bad but my point was he's playing more than he would on a healthy team. He's in essence what Schwarber probably would have been. Basically the point was he's one of the worst 5 in k rate which.... of course he is. He's a rookie.

Heyward the only healthy one has ran a .649 OPS. Pedestrian at best. I would be embarrassed to take my pay check right now.

Heyward hasn't been 100% healthy. He battled a wrist injury early which likely sapped his power. He hit .257/.336/.386 in June. Obviously it's not as good as he can be but he's a 26 year old. Does anyone really think he wont eventually regress to his career .265/.350/.421 marks?

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Heyward hasn't been 100% healthy. He battled a wrist injury early which likely sapped his power. He hit .257/.336/.386 in June. Obviously it's not as good as he can be but he's a 26 year old. Does anyone really think he wont eventually regress to his career .265/.350/.421 marks?

He's going to come awfully close to his career numbers which means he's going to have a hot stretch. I'd almost guarantee that. I think the wrist injury hurt him far worse than anyone thinks.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Heyward is going to keep sucking as long as he stands a mile from the plate and tries to pull everything. He needs to start hitting some balls to LF. The few times he has he has hit the ball very solidly

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I mean I wasn't suggesting he's bad but my point was he's playing more than he would on a healthy team. He's in essence what Schwarber probably would have been. Basically the point was he's one of the worst 5 in k rate which.... of course he is. He's a rookie.

That is why I posted it helps the most to get Contreras up to speed at catching.

The problem has been Contreras with a upper .900's OPS. Then Baez just under .800 OPS getting playing time shaved from Montero and Heyward. Both under .650 OPS.

Seeing how the staff has been struggling anyways, how much value are they getting by sacrificing OPS to improve the pitching. Is this just a feel good placebo? It really doesn't seem like it matters with the recent results.

The easiest result is moving Bryant to RF and Contreras to LF. let Heyward mend if that is the real issue. It is pointless to sit on it and have the team suffer.

Let the pitchers have their placebo to their hearts content because it matters so much to them...

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Lmao at some above posts. .
Im the one singled out for my comments on current games in an IGT

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

chibears55

Liked Posts:

I hope you're right because with about 70+ games left he would have to go on a tear of probably over .300 the rest of way to get his Avg. up to .265 from .233 and his OPS up from .649 to .772..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk