IST: Cubs vs. Braves

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Make up game. We go to Pittsburgh tomorrow.

Ross was placed on the 7 day dl. Fowler is going to play some minor league games. Play the all-star game and then rejoin the team after the break.

Irs Lucas Harrell vs. Jason Hammel tonight. Harrell is a 31 year old pitcher who got a surprise call up. He allowed 1 run in 6 innings against the Marlins. Cubs need to get some momentum into the break. It would be good to get an easy win tonight. Lets hope.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Make up game. We go to Pittsburgh tomorrow.

Ross was placed on the 7 day dl. Fowler is going to play some minor league games. Play the all-star game and then rejoin the team after the break.

Irs Lucas Harrell vs. Jason Hammel tonight. Harrell is a 31 year old pitcher who got a surprise call up. He allowed 1 run in 6 innings against the Marlins. Cubs need to get some momentum into the break. It would be good to get an easy win tonight. Lets hope.

Hammel needs to be sharp or they really have to start looking for another SP.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Why? He has allowed 4 or more run in 2 of his last 8 starts? Last start was terrible. Besides that he has been one of the better 4th man in a rotation in the league. People need to stop thinking the other shoe already dropped. It was one bad start. I will agree with you if he strings them together.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Why? He has allowed 4 or more run in 2 of his last 8 starts? Last start was terrible. Besides that he has been one of the better 4th man in a rotation in the league. People need to stop thinking the other shoe already dropped. It was one bad start. I will agree with you if he strings them together.

Listen I'm not one of the pessimists among this group but he was awful in his last start and wasn't sharp in the start before that. All I said if he's bad today they'll probably have to start looking because the pickings are kind of slim.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Cubs really need Hammel to be on tonight. Don't want to go into a tough series in PIT losing 6 of 7.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

He would be sufficient as a 5. I said before the season started that Hendricks would eventually move up in the rotation. Another bad start by Hammel might just make that happen.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
He would be sufficient as a 5. I said before the season started that Hendricks would eventually move up in the rotation. Another bad start by Hammel might just make that happen.

I absolutely agree with that, but then you've got a playoff problem because I don't think Hendricks is suitable as a playoff pitcher. He needs pinpoint command and I don't like the idea of a guy that command dependent starting. I could be wrong of course but given the guys on the team I'd feel better with Warren starting a game 4 than Hendricks simply because he has better stuff and therefore more "wiggle room" for lack of a better term.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Listen I'm not one of the pessimists among this group but he was awful in his last start and wasn't sharp in the start before that. All I said if he's bad today they'll probably have to start looking because the pickings are kind of slim.
Agreed. And the rep for not being a second half pitcher. The past few starts could be an indication he just decided to start the slide before the AS break this year.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I absolutely agree with that, but then you've got a playoff problem because I don't think Hendricks is suitable as a playoff pitcher. He needs pinpoint command and I don't like the idea of a guy that command dependent starting. I could be wrong of course but given the guys on the team I'd feel better with Warren starting a game 4 than Hendricks simply because he has better stuff and therefore more "wiggle room" for lack of a better term.

I not sure Warren is trustworthy....maybe if he does it for a few starts. I mean he looked pretty good but still threw a boatload of pitches...enough pitches to get himself pinch hit for after 5 innings of 1 run ball. I just don't trust his control. I guess you need to go with who is the most recently reliable when you get there.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Oh look others are bringing up moves and another brought up their recent losing record.

I guess I can be accused again for bringing up moves on a thread. .
Even though I haven't brought it up on my own in a long while.
And losses..

I do agree with TC as far as management needs to keep a close eye on Hammel , this is usually when he starts to fall off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Expecting heavy rain tonight
Hopefully they can get this one in...

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Food for thought... the Giants have blown 17 saves this year. Baltimore has blown 11. The dodgers have blown 13. Toronto has blown 12. Miami has blown 15. Cubs have blown 8 saves which is 6th best. That doesn't let the cubs entirely off the hook for poor performance but it does illustrate the cubs aren't the only team with a troubling bullpen.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Food for thought... the Giants have blown 17 saves this year. Baltimore has blown 11. The dodgers have blown 13. Toronto has blown 12. Miami has blown 15. Cubs have blown 8 saves which is 6th best. That doesn't let the cubs entirely off the hook for poor performance but it does illustrate the cubs aren't the only team with a troubling bullpen.

I'm 750 miles away but judging by Weather.com it looks doubtful.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Just curious though because without looking
I think its low because they haven't had many chances.

the cubs were winning by 4 or more for most of April and May, to where maddon needed to get Rondon in games to keep him fresh.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Just curious though because without looking
I think its low because they haven't had many chances.

the cubs were winning by 4 or more for most of April and May, to where maddon needed to get Rondon in games to keep him fresh.

My takeaway was more about the other teams not the cubs. Giants are neck and neck with the cubs for the best team in the majors and can't apparently close out games.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
My takeaway was more about the other teams not the cubs. Giants are neck and neck with the cubs for the best team in the majors and can't apparently close out games.
Which is why you hope they or Nationals dont pull off a deal for Chapman or Miller. .
Why you hope the Cubs grab one to keep them weak at that position and strengthen themselves.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Which is why you hope they or Nationals dont pull off a deal for Chapman or Miller. .
Why you hope the Cubs grab one to keep them weak at that position and strengthen themselves.

Here's the thing though, those teams need a guy like that while the Cubs don't necessarily. Rondon has actually been better than Chapman since the beginning of last year. On the other hand I would love to have Miller, I just don't want to pay the ridiculous price tag and frankly it wouldn't shock me if the Yankees don't trade him unless they get it.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

Don't count out Texas or Cleveland in that best in majors talk