IST: Cubs vs. Braves

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Maybe i'm just in a philosophical mood and maybe I'm just rationalizing but the thought has occurred to me that this tough stretch is actually a good thing. This cubs team is so young and by in large, they really haven't had the young player struggles. Everything last year came so easy for them and then this year they stared off as the best team in the majors and were on a rather historic albeit short pace. That's not how baseball is supposed to work. You're supposed to be decent and then get your teeth kicked in a bit when the league catches up to you and then grow past that and over come it. This is probably best exemplified by the late 80's basketball playoffs where you had the old guard boston put down the pistons so many times. Then they finally broke through. And then they became the old guard and the Jordan lead bulls came in and couldn't win. In baseball on a player level we saw this with Rizzo. We saw it with Shark.

Now this isn't to say that the cubs players weren't already hard workers. But I'm reminded of Jordan when he talked about what he had to do in order to finally over come the pistons. In the case of the cubs, they are so talented that they can often when games on pure skill. Some days Bryant's just gonna hit 3 HRs and 2 doubles and put the team on his back. However, championship teams do the little things well. You don't learn much when you're winning. On the other hand, you can learn quite a bit from loses. So this stretch should show them some of the flaws they obviously have. Now whether or not they correct them or not who knows but that is how you get better.