Article on Heyward swing problems

Washington

Liked Posts:
Well, that is not good news and does not bode well going forward. I'm guessing Theo wishes he had a do-over.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Why not? Didn't see a similar article anywhere else

I don't know. I haven't really heard people linking them in a long while. Thought SI cut a lot of their staff. I don't particularly find their brand that appealing anymore because it's not really that new age. Mostly just the same stuff you'd hear 15 years ago applied to present day. For example, contrast that with this article on Heyward from April on fangraphs.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/jason-heyward-has-made-some-weird-decisions/

I feel like fangraphs gives a much better picture of what they are trying to say with stats and will often post actual video of swings/pitches.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
I don't know. I haven't really heard people linking them in a long while. Thought SI cut a lot of their staff. I don't particularly find their brand that appealing anymore because it's not really that new age. Mostly just the same stuff you'd hear 15 years ago applied to present day. For example, contrast that with this article on Heyward from April on fangraphs.

I feel like fangraphs gives a much better picture of what they are trying to say with stats and will often post actual video of swings/pitches.
I find all kinds of unique articles and perspective on SI as opposed to ESPN where you have to pay for any editorial content

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Insider is a sad excuse for a cash grab.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Better info there than Jesse Rogers saying "his hard hit percentage is fine, it's mostly bad luck".

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Sounds like they are trying to boost his power. Should have pulled a Bird. Take the suspension and jump up to 30 HR power.

ZAN

Liked Posts:
Better info there than Jesse Rogers saying "his hard hit percentage is fine, it's mostly bad luck".

Considering that this article shows that his average velocity off the bat is way down.

I really can't stand reading Jesse Rogers anymore. I'm not knee jerk and can understand the ups and downs of a season. But that guy is the biggest apologetic in the world.

ZAN

Liked Posts:
For the doom and gloomers, look at the transformation of Kris Bryant's swing in just one 6-month offseason. His bat wasn't in the zone long enough on his swings last year. They flattened it out, and now you see an MVP candidate.

Not exactly the same mechanics that Jason Heyward has. But it's never good to try to overhaul a swing in the middle of the season. I think we take what we get from Heyward this summer/fall and do some work with it this offseason. There's 20 HR power in there. He's done it before. The Braves just let him get way out of whack.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
For the doom and gloomers, look at the transformation of Kris Bryant's swing in just one 6-month offseason. His bat wasn't in the zone long enough on his swings last year. They flattened it out, and now you see an MVP candidate.

Not exactly the same mechanics that Jason Heyward has. But it's never good to try to overhaul a swing in the middle of the season. I think we take what we get from Heyward this summer/fall and do some work with it this offseason. There's 20 HR power in there. He's done it before. The Braves just let him get way out of whack.
Difference is Bryant is a rookie and 4-3 Heyward is a 7th year player. Did you read what that scout said about his shitty swing and how he is amazed he hits the ball at all? But what does Fowler do? He tries to pull everything standing a mile from home plate. I'll bet he leads the league in 4-3 ground outs

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Difference is Bryant is a rookie and 4-3 Heyward is a 7th year player. Did you read what that scout said about his shitty swing and how he is amazed he hits the ball at all? But what does Fowler do? He tries to pull everything standing a mile from home plate. I'll bet he leads the league in 4-3 ground outs
Fowler doesn't lead the league in 4-3 put outs.

ZAN

Liked Posts:

Assuming you meant Heyward instead of Fowler in that one sentence. Anywho, if you read that article (which it appears you did), you know that he stands off the plate because the scouting report on him is to bust him inside due to the dip and dive/loop in his swing. If they work on the mechanics with him, chances are he'll improve a little bit on inside pitches and stand a bit closer to the dish as pitchers start to work the outside half of the plate. From there, you'll see the gap to gap power he had in his first few years.

But what do I know? I'm just a guy on a message board. I could be way out of touch.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
He needs to do the Kevin Long Net Drill...a lot.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Assuming you meant Heyward instead of Fowler in that one sentence. Anywho, if you read that article (which it appears you did), you know that he stands off the plate because the scouting report on him is to bust him inside due to the dip and dive/loop in his swing. If they work on the mechanics with him, chances are he'll improve a little bit on inside pitches and stand a bit closer to the dish as pitchers start to work the outside half of the plate. From there, you'll see the gap to gap power he had in his first few years.

But what do I know? I'm just a guy on a message board. I could be way out of touch.
It's all opinion by us forum knuckleheads. I agree with the scout when he describes a choppy powerless swing. After 7 years I see Heyward as a stubborn guy that wants to pull everything.

The few times he has gone the other way he really hit the ball solidly. He should be doing THAT unless he gets the perfect pitch to pull.

Hopefully things change for the better but right now this looks like one of the worst FA acquisitions of all time