OT: Michael Jordan's Prime

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I am right. Look at Jordan's regular season and post season numbers from that time period. The is a clear marker of when he was better. It was pre-retirement.

His first three Finals:
36ppg, 6.6rpg, 8.1apg 53% shooting

His last three Finals:
31ppg, 5.4rpg, 4.2apg, 43% shooting

That is not the point. Show me where it says HOW MANY of your best years can be included in your "prime"?

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
That is not the point.
No, that is the point.

Show me where it says HOW MANY of your best years can be included in your "prime"?
I would think when there is a clear fall off in performance and the black ink goes away and a guy like Jordan has his FG% drop 10% in the Finals...it's a pretty good sign he's no longer at his peak/prime.

But, I have a brain.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
No, that is the point.

I would think when there is a clear fall off in performance and the black ink goes away and a guy like Jordan has his FG% drop 10% in the Finals...it's a pretty good sign he's no longer at his peak/prime.

But, I have a brain.

And there you go with the personal insults...

I would think that when a player comes back from retirement and puts up TWO MVPs in both the regular season and the FINALS and has one of HIS BEST PERs in the same year that the team has the best overall record in the history of the league, that THAT year would be good enough to be included in his prime.

That is not a clear fall off in performance.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
And there you go with the personal insults...

I would think that when a player comes back from retirement and puts up TWO MVPs in both the regular season and the FINALS and has one of HIS BEST PERs in the same year that the team has the best overall record in the history of the league, that THAT year would be good enough to be included in his prime.

That is not a clear fall off in performance.
I'm sorry you're insulted by the fact that I have a brain.

I would think that a guy who normally averages 36ppg, 6.6rpg, and 8.3apg on 53% shooting then averages 27ppg, 5.3rpg, and 4.2apg on 42% shooting it'd be a pretty clear drop off in performance and he's clearly not in his old prime form and when a guy doesn't lead the league in PER or VORP the rest of his career......

But, like I said I have a brain.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:

I would think that a guy who normally averages 36ppg, 6.6rpg, and 8.3apg on 53% shooting then averages 27ppg, 5.3rpg, and 4.2apg on 42% shooting it'd be a pretty clear drop off in performance and he's clearly not in his old prime form and when a guy doesn't lead the league in PER or VORP the rest of his career......

Nope. When a player wins multiple MVPs, he is still playing at a high enough level to be considered in his prime.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

Curiously, LeBrons numbers have fallen the past few seasons as well, in the regular anyways. His finals numbers are good. Would you say he's fallen out of his prime?

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Curiously, LeBrons numbers have fallen the past few seasons as well, in the regular anyways. His finals numbers are good. Would you say he's fallen out of his prime?

Yeah, LeBron is no longer in the prime of his career. Obviously still a tremendous talent and the best player in the league but he's not Lebron of 2008-2013.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

How can you completely ignore matchups and context, his own team and the opponents. You are using your brain incorrectly to zero in on one aspect, stats in the finals, and nobody is really following you.

I'm glad for you you think you are smart though. Good job. Confidence is a key ingredient.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I don't think he is, first timer doesn't, Axl doesn't... So that's 3-0 in favor of not in his prime.

Any more voters?

There were a lot of people arguing that he was still in his prime before this Championship.

On sportshoopla right after the championship (who has 10x the traffic as this board), they had a similar question and the votes were in favor of LeBron.

On this board, I wouldn't be surprised if people voted either way.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Also, I love the gem you made when you said we couldn't look at a players prime until their career was over. Remember that?

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Me:

Aaron Rodgers is no longer in his prime with that logic.

First Timer:

What the hell are you talking about?

Rodgers prime could very well be over. We don't know that. We can evaluate that after he retires.

Jordan is retired so we can evaluate his.