OT: Michael Jordan's Prime

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
You miss the post where I posted his Finals numbers? Or my mention of VORP? Or mentioning his FG%? Or maybe that he never won DPOY again? I mean, I've posted all that already.

And you missed the part where I said that his stats were indeed better in those years. BUT, the drop off was not significant enough to say that he was out of his prime. When you are still the best player by a wide margin and are still winning championships solely because of you, it is close enough.

Like I said, no one ever was saying the Bulls were winning their 5th and 6th championships despite Jordan not being in his prime.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Btw, what was Peyton Manning and Brett Favre's primes?

Favre's prime was pretty clearly when he won three straight MVP's. Overall: 1994-1997/8

Manning's: 2004-2010.

His late career insane Denver years not withstanding he clearly wasn't the same player physically. It makes his 2013 all that more amazing really but most of his blank ink and awards(MVP's) were really concentrated in that seven season stretch.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Yet, you keep coming back every day. Probably because you have nothing better to do with your life.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Yet, here you are too.

I am not the one constantly complaining about the website and discussions with its members. It's counter productive to complain about something and continue to participate in the activity.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
Wow...great topic...I will say his prime years would be 1988-1993. He was great in his comeback but he was about 85% of what he was before he left. I do agree that he got smarter the second time around.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wow...great topic...I will say his prime years would be 1988-1993. He was great in his comeback but he was about 85% of what he was before he left. I do agree that he got smarter the second time around.

not just smarter....

Michael Jordan is well known around the country for having added BASKETBALL SKILLS every single off-season of his career. He would pick a move, or an ability, and perfect it...working tirelessly countless hours and coming back even better than before.

Sure he lost some athleticism...but I still think he had to dig deep to beat a young Shaq, he put in the work and pushed himself and added a better 3 point shot by 96, 97, he didn't slash you and jam on you as easily, but he didn't have to...the fadeaway became even more difficult.

When judging his peak based on stats alone you are also ignoring "Jordan Rules"....rules added to give mortals even a fighting chance.

I only say 96-97 was peak, because I think by 98 he was just mentally tired and had no competition...walked away at the top. Only when his star faded did he wonder and feel challenged at 40 enough to make a comeback.