This is worriesome!

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/s...arrieta-could-sit-out-2016-mlb-all-star-game/

Basically, Arrieta is leaning to sit out the all star game. That doesnt sound good. It could be because he is trying to right something or it could be hiding an injury. Maddon said before the break that Arrieta wasnt going right away. They wanted to rest him some extra days. Now, he may back out on the Monday before when he is already out there. That sounds strange.

85Bears

Formerly known as 85Bears
Donator
Liked Posts:
Now, he may back out on the Monday before when he is already out there.

What...? Sorry, maybe my brain isn't functioning yet this morning.

On the whole, this doesn't worry me any more than I'm already worried about Arrieta. It's not like he's had a bad game or two, he's kind of slowly gotten worse for several starts. First it was control - he was walking more than normal. Then that went down hill until the last game or two where he just kind of sucks. To the point where sitting out the All Star game might be better...just so the NL has a better chance of securing home field...

Unless he's secretly battling some minor injury that's throwing him off, it's hard to figure out what it could be. But we kind of need him fixed. Sure, he probably doesn't need to throw a 2nd half ERA of less than 2.00, but 3.00 or a little less would be nice as he's our "ace".

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
What...? Sorry, maybe my brain isn't functioning yet this morning.

On the whole, this doesn't worry me any more than I'm already worried about Arrieta. It's not like he's had a bad game or two, he's kind of slowly gotten worse for several starts. First it was control - he was walking more than normal. Then that went down hill until the last game or two where he just kind of sucks. To the point where sitting out the All Star game might be better...just so the NL has a better chance of securing home field...

Unless he's secretly battling some minor injury that's throwing him off, it's hard to figure out what it could be. But we kind of need him fixed. Sure, he probably doesn't need to throw a 2nd half ERA of less than 2.00, but 3.00 or a little less would be nice as he's our "ace".

I've been worried for at least 2 starts and was probably trying not to be worried a few starts before that. To me before the control issues really started obvious, in those starts where he was giving up so many walks, he was obviously struggling with command of his fastball. He just couldn't hit his spots but his slider was getting him out of tough at bats and his sinker was fine. In the last couple of starts he's command issues with the slider. Looking at some video it does look like his release point is slightly higher than it should be but without really studying it that's a guess. If that's the case there's likely a shoulder issue with fatigue being the best scenario. So hell yeah, let him rest. Maybe go through the rest of the rotation before starting him again. Realistically they could hold him out until next Tuesday against the Mets.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Eh.. As Fowler doing. Being ready for the rest of the Cubs season is more important then an appearance in AS game.

Arrieta could just have a tired arm and the extra couple days of not throwing could help.
Right now what important is his next 2 starts and how he responds..

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Eh.. As Fowler doing. Being ready for the rest of the Cubs season is more important then an appearance in AS game.

Arrieta could just have a tired arm and the extra couple days of not throwing could help.
Right now what important is his next 2 starts and how he responds..

Agreed. You just have to wonder if it's worse than what's being let on.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is definitely a little worrisome

although really, I wish every Cub could skip the all star game.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
What's worrisome is the ASG decides home field advantage in the WS and all these guys want rest. Something is wrong here. The ASG and MLB needs to go crawl into a hole.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Its definitely cause for concern. Although, I was already worried before I read this. Something is definitely wrong with Arrieta. His slider has completely disappeared. Does anyone know how his velocity has been the past 3-4 starts? I hate to say this but ever since the PED accusations came out, his production has definitely declined. We have no way of knowing whether or not it has anything to do with it, but the timing is there.

We have a whole second season to play before the playoffs, but as of now I feel better with Lester, Lackey and Hendricks pitching than I do Arrieta. And I really, really hope that changes.

One thing I've been kind of regretting is us not acquiring Cole Hammels last year. He's put together a pretty good year and he's fairly reliable. It would be awfully nice to have him right now.

I've been advocating us not being buyers at the dead line -- I'm just very seriously concerned with giving up assets. But if we're going to do it, we might need a TOR and a shut down guy in the pen. With Andrew Miller's tag too steep, I'm thinking we should focus on Chapman. He's a lefty that throws 102 mph and would be a great set up man for Rondon.

But if Arrieta continues to trend downward, we might need to pick up a TOR to pair with Lester and Lackey in the playoffs. If we're really truly going for it, we have to do what we have to do -- ego's be damned.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Cubs played 24 straight days. When there's actual news of Arrieta being hurt or whatever I'll worry a bit more.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs played 24 straight days. When there's actual news of Arrieta being hurt or whatever I'll worry a bit more.

I understand that, but you dont find it weird that he travels to San Diego. Then, the day before he is wavering if he is going to play when they could have names another all- star? Seems weird.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I understand that, but you dont find it weird that he travels to San Diego. Then, the day before he is wavering if he is going to play when they could have names another all- star? Seems weird.

Oh I get why you think it's odd. But the other thing to remember is as far as I'm aware this is his first all star game. So, he probably wanted the experience but felt rest could help him. That would be my working theory until there's news something is wrong.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If he was named the starter I bet he starts. But seeing how he fell off the table I understand where he would put the team ahead of a ego fest.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Maybe he just told Collins to hold him off til the end if they need him, that he prefers not to play but if he needed he will pitch.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Maybe he just told Collins to hold him off til the end if they need him, that he prefers not to play but if he needed he will pitch.

As I said [emoji1]

@DavidHaugh: Jake Arrieta reiterated that he's unlikely to pitch tonight; told Terry Collins he's available if needed but also would like a day off.

A.C. Milan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Meanwhile Kobe homers off Sale hahahah

cubsmann

Liked Posts:
Im glad Arrieta didn't pitch in the AS game and Im glad Fowler didn't play. I just wish Cueto didn't start the game. The guys sucks and he stuck us in a 3 run hole and cost the NL the game. There goes HFA.