What makes an NBA Superstar?

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Some of us have strict interpretations of what constitutes an NBA Superstar. Others have less. I myself have a strict formula which usually leads the league with 5-7 superstars at any one time.

What do you consider makes an NBA Superstar?

And who do you consider the current superstars of the league?

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My criteria basically surrounds these factors:

Overall #'s
Offensive &* defensive capable
All-NBA 1st Teams
Consistency (at least two good years)
Ability to completely take over aka clutch gene
PER
Team Success
Eye Test

Which leads me with LeBron, Curry, Durant, Westbrook, and Leonard as the Superstars currently. Couple of other guys are on the edge.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
Some of us have strict interpretations of what constitutes an NBA Superstar. Others have less. I myself have a strict formula which usually leads the league with 5-7 superstars at any one time.

What do you consider makes an NBA Superstar?

And who do you consider the current superstars of the league?

It is you when you know you have a player that can make or break your team. Lebron is a superstar. We saw what happened to the cavs when he left and when he came back. Same with MJ. You know a team with MJ is going to be in it till the end. Same thing with lebron. The bulls will never make it to the finals as long as lebron is in the east. That is what a superstar is.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Superstar. When someone is a household name, even by non-fans of the sport. The league has one superstar right now, sometimes it has more than one. Basketball fans aren't the best at defining the leagues Superstars.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Superstar. When someone is a household name, even by non-fans of the sport. The league has one superstar right now.
Hasn't Curry reached that status as well?

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Hasn't Curry reached that status as well?

Maybe. Non-sportsfans are resilient to hyped news about athletes. It takes more than one year of being in the news to really break through. The only way to really know, is to conduct a survey and see. Ask non-fans if they can name players in the league, and if they can only come up with current/former players on the local team only + LeBron, then you get an answer. The more you ask, the bigger the sample.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I've pondered this question with Scoot a few times. I don't have nearly as strict a set of criteria as he does, but I think my list is usually about as small. I think for me my factors are numbers, dominance, ability to be a two way player, longevity (ie how long the player was good for), and to a lesser degree the clutch gene.

However, in the loosest sense of the word, anyone my mom, who knows absolutely nothing about sports at all, can recognize is probably a superstar. Currently she knows Lebron, Steph Curry, and Derrick Rose. Rose is from before, obviously. So Crys is not entirely wrong is using that as a criteria.

I'd say superstars right now are Lebron, Curry, Durant, and Westbrook. Leonard needs another year or two of seasons like this past one to be firmly on the list imo.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Kareem and Magic being on the same team and Jordan and Rodman being on the same team. Kobe and Shaq. Despite how good a player actually is, there is more to being a Superstar than impressive stats. Pretty much everyone knew who these guys were, and in today's era, I still meet a lot of people who don't know who the hell Kevin Durant is. But it's quite possible that Curry and Durant could be the next team with two Superstars. I don't consider Wade a superstar by my criteria. Melo is not a superstar, let alone "Megastar" like some of the headlines showed. Timmy D was quiet, and because of that, not a household name. I think David Robinson was a bigger star than Duncan. Now, who was a better player, that was Tim.

If I went somewhere a good ways outside of the Chicago Bulls fan area and showed non-fans a picture of Pippen, I don't think many would know who he was, but he's also close in name only recognition. Rodman... lol, yeah, the hair, the Madonna thing, the outbursts, and even now, the North Korea trips, he's an example of being a Superstar without being a perennial MVP caliber player. Even Lamar Odom couldn't get that kind of recognition.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
My wife knows who Manute Bol is.

Was Clyde Drexler an NBA superstar?

[video=youtube;olVaIZjfTx0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olVaIZjfTx0[/video]

The Glide was a Superstar, yes!

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
a guy that changes everything when hes on the floor

its hard to put in words but you know one when you see one

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Adding in how well a player is known by non fans is an interesting debate. With that added dimension, I am not sure you could say Duncan was ever a superstar.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree with Scoot's list above.

I'm not sure Leonard is a Super star in my definition though. Part of my eye test is dynamic play. Super star to me is different than "elite player". To me Leonard is an elite player but not a super star. Tim Duncan kind of the same. Elite player, one of the greatest of all times but he was never flashy, I think to me a Super star has to have a certain "flair" or dominance or flash to be one. Elite players can just be really freakin good at basketball and be all time players but not be "super star" league carrying types.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
My fembuds only know who Curry is because of his daughter.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
Only players I'd label a superstar are LeBron, Durant, Curry, and Westbrook. I can't put Leonard in that category. He just doesn't pass the eye test for me.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
It's an interesting conversation (one I think we've had before), because hardcore NBA guys are very territorial. To FirstTimer's point, guys like Leonard and Duncan are elite guys because while they do everything right, some nights what they do doesn't show up on a stat sheet. At the end of the day, nobody but NBA guys care about defensive rating. Nobody cares that Duncan or Leonard can set a good screen on offense, or that they make a perfect switch on defense. Hell, Kurt Rambis has the distinction of being called the best inbounds passer for the Showtime Lakers. I like that stuff, but the guy who isn't a hardcore NBA guy like me gives a turkey.

End of the day, you have to put the ball in the basket. The guys who do it the best are the guys you have to scheme against. That means Lebron, Curry, Durant, and Westbrook. After those four, I see no other guys in the league that you really have to focus on in your game plan.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
Only players I'd label a superstar are LeBron, Durant, Curry, and Westbrook. I can't put Leonard in that category. He just doesn't pass the eye test for me.

Not sure I'd even put Westbrook in that category. He falls into the James Harden/Carmelo Anthony category to me. Flashy stat stuffer, not much else to him.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Not sure I'd even put Westbrook in that category. He falls into the James Harden/Carmelo Anthony category to me. Flashy stat stuffer, not much else to him.
We've actually been over this before about Westbrook. Two seasons ago they were an Anthony Davis miracle 3-pointer away from making the playoffs with Durant being out a significant portion of the season. Westbrook put that team on his back and nearly had them there. This past season, with Durant in the lineup, they damn near made the Finals.

He's a superstar.