HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Nothing earth shattering here but I ditched my 295X2 and 290X for a Gigabyte Founders Edition GTX 1080. I got sick of multi-gpu headaches and waiting for crossfire profiles on games.

1080EKWBfront.jpg

1080EKWBback.jpg

1080EKWBinstalled.jpg

Its currently cranked up overclocked:

Core Voltage : +100%
Power Limit : 120%
Core Clock : +225
Memory Clock : +575

That results in a GPU clock of 2114MHz. It doesn't even go past 41C. This bitch is purrin. A single powerful GPU is out performing two GPUs I was using before. Its not as strong as when I was able to run all three GPUs before but that is plenty powerful enough for me.

Wintermute

Liked Posts:
Nothing earth shattering here but I ditched my 295X2 and 290X for a Gigabyte Founders Edition GTX 1080. I got sick of multi-gpu headaches and waiting for crossfire profiles on games.

1080EKWBfront.jpg

1080EKWBback.jpg

1080EKWBinstalled.jpg

Its currently cranked up overclocked:

Core Voltage : +100%
Power Limit : 120%
Core Clock : +225
Memory Clock : +575

That results in a GPU clock of 2114MHz. It doesn't even go past 41C. This bitch is purrin. A single powerful GPU is out performing two GPUs I was using before. Its not as strong as when I was able to run all three GPUs before but that is plenty powerful enough for me.

Neat setup.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Titans are for gamers that are willing to reach into their wallets and pay heftily for a video card that isn't meant purely for gaming. Its a hybrid compute / gaming video card for semi-professional use. You won't catch me falling into that trap.

Furthermore Nvidia isn't done milking people yet either. This $1200 Titan isn't even featuring the full chip. They are most likely holding that back for the GTX 1080 Ti.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Isn't the Ti going to be the 102? Where the 1080 and 1070 are 104s and the titan is the 100 chip?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh shit, never mind. Just looked it up. You're right, the titan is the gp102. Thats kinda bullshit.

Schmidtaki

Just your everyday fail.
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was going to wait on the new Titan as it was going to have HBM2 memory but nope, they canned that idea. So I may just hold on to my 980 Ti for now as that things still beasts everything I throw at it at 3440x1440 resolution.

Xero, is that 1080 putting in work?

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I was going to wait on the new Titan as it was going to have HBM2 memory but nope, they canned that idea. So I may just hold on to my 980 Ti for now as that things still beasts everything I throw at it at 3440x1440 resolution.

Xero, is that 1080 putting in work?

Yeah that 1080 is tearing through shit @ 1440p. Honestly anyone with a GTX 980 Ti is best served keeping it until the HBM2 powerhouse GPUs surface. In reality I should have not even bought this 1080 but temptation was too strong to try something new and ditch multi-gpu headaches.

Schmidtaki

Just your everyday fail.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah that 1080 is tearing through shit @ 1440p. Honestly anyone with a GTX 980 Ti is best served keeping it until the HBM2 powerhouse GPUs surface. In reality I should have not even bought this 1080 but temptation was too strong to try something new and ditch multi-gpu headaches.

Yeah Multi-gpu is such a headache. It was a smart move to switch to a single card. I prefer a powerhouse card over multiple cards anyday.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I switched from 2 780s to a 980ti and I don't want to ever go back to multi gpu if possible.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh also, I am not convinced that HBM will show any real world performance gain. I mean, I don't really know what I am talking about I guess, but it sure seems like its been a long fucking time since memory speed or bandwidth really bottlenecked anything.

I am super interested in the 1080ti tho. Just scared to find out what they gon be priced at.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
Oh also, I am not convinced that HBM will show any real world performance gain. I mean, I don't really know what I am talking about I guess, but it sure seems like its been a long fucking time since memory speed or bandwidth really bottlenecked anything.

I am super interested in the 1080ti tho. Just scared to find out what they gon be priced at.

when vram becomes limited hbm probably helps, but not enough to make needing more memory a necessity. but cards with 8g+ of hbm2 will still be badass. and its way outside my knowledge but im pretty sure hmb helps when it comes to high level graphical processing well beyond gaming and typical consumer needs.

anyway, the 1080ti should cost less than the titan X. i dont think they are going to place a 1080 variant above their flagship titan. itll likely be a card sandwiched between the two at around 900-1000 bucks and like last gen itll essentially render the titan pretty much irrelevant. though if you youre already throwing that much cash at nvidia you might as well go all out. hell, i think the every pascal card released so far is vastly overpriced. they bumped everything up to the next price point.

im excited to see what amd does with vega, and how amd cards do in general in upcoming dx12/vulkan games. the few games out there that are actually built on dx12 or vulkan are showing crazy performance, with the 480 and 390 coming within like 10-15% of the 1070/980 ti in doom for example. and the fury has surpassed them, its too bad they are limited to 4g of vram, hbm or not, otherwise theyd be a steal to pick up used and probably the best value of any card. vega should kick ass.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
HBM saves PCB realestate and will eventually reduce cost in production. The industry it moving to a new model of chip fabrication, where it's easier to build a new fab if they can 'rent' the old ones. While that was done in the past, it was barely used because custom chip manufacturers constantly demanded the smaller lithography to the point it made more sense just to convert and build new fabs than to squeeze out a few more years out of a process. GDDR3 can finally die. With HBM, we can finally see 128gb video cards. Now, for the average hardcore gamer, this means jack shit. For the engineers, artists, and all types of GPU accelerated server computing of the world(which actually make up more systems than Desktops in use) it will allow fully effective AR development platforms. Which then means eventual AR toys for the consumer, education, and various commercial applications.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, I should have specified in terms of near future gaming performance.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Understood.

I'm still trying to play asteroids at 4trillion FPS. But these jokers wont get off their ass and make hardware that could support it.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Think I will stick with my 980Ti until the next version after the 1080 comes out.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
980ti is really pretty fuckin beast still

But damn I wanna get an ultrawide 1440 and run in at 100+ hz pretty bad

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You know its actually pretty crazy but HBM is going to be a short lived gaming GPU memory standard. Its main benefit is capacity and bandwidth but its power efficiency, which is the entire reason for its creation since GDDR's was going down the poopshoot, will fairly soon(within 1 or 2 generations) nearly equal current GDDR5X's so that means they are going to have to develop another memory standard other than HBM or create a better variant of HBM (HBM3?). GPUs are developing far faster than their onboard graphics memory.