WR Preview

Burrberry

Liked Posts:
Mariani will be lucky to make the team this year, do you watch the games?

I'm sure he works hard, but honestly I don't get the infatuation with handing him a spot. The goal should be to get the most talented and dynamic players out there regardless. Says a lot that we were pretty much the only team to give him an extended shot out of however many odd years he's been in the league. A unexplosive WR with good hands. I'm sure there's no shortage of Mariani's out there. If he proves it in camp then so be it, but I'm not ready to hand him a spot.

BornAnAngryBearsFan

TF you lookin' at?!?!
Liked Posts:
Mariani, and clutch, should NEVER be used in the same sentence. He's a career backup WR, and camp body at this point. Get over it.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Injury histories should affect how you build your team. Was anybody shocked by the Marquess Wilson news? He won't even be eligible to return till after week 6, so absolutely best case scenario, he plays in 10 games, I will be surprised by any more than 8.

I'm a Bears fan, I want them all to play all the games, but the reality is Alshon, and Royal will probably miss games. If that happens while Wilson is out, were talking about an untested rookie and a bunch of #5's. That is a very realistic and frightening possibility.

Alshon played every game in 13 and 14. I don't think he has an injury history. White has even less of one. He had a freak accident on his shin so we have no idea if he's injury prone. I could care less about Royal. It wouldn't even bother me if he didn't make the team.

Alfalfa

Liked Posts:
Alshon played every game in 13 and 14. I don't think he has an injury history. White has even less of one. He had a freak accident on his shin so we have no idea if he's injury prone. I could care less about Royal. It wouldn't even bother me if he didn't make the team.

Some of the questions with Alshon last season were about his willingness to play through minor injuries and his overall mindset. While technically that doesn't make him injury prone it's still something that can effect his play and cause him to miss games.

With White my concern isn't so much his being injury prone as it is how the injury will affect his play. Mariani had the same surgery and did fine but of course is not a speed receiver.

Bronze65

Liked Posts:
I'm really sad that Wilson got injured again. I watched him play a lot when he was on WSU in college. Can really play when he gets going.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Some of the questions with Alshon last season were about his willingness to play through minor injuries and his overall mindset. While technically that doesn't make him injury prone it's still something that can effect his play and cause him to miss games.

With White my concern isn't so much his being injury prone as it is how the injury will affect his play. Mariani had the same surgery and did fine but of course is not a speed receiver.

Mariani's fracture was quite a bit more severe than White's, wasn't it? The guy's leg basically snapped in two.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

We really shouldn't count 2014 as a healthy season, he played in all 16, but AJ and Marshall were pretty dinged up. He had 4 games with an average of 2.5 catches for 28 yards, basically trying to play decoy. The Bears were 2-2 in those 4 games. He finished 2014 with very good numbers but that just shows how great he can be when he is healthy. But after four seasons he has only had one healthy season, that's not enough. He needs a great and healthy 2016 to get that payday he's after.

My concern for this season is timing, with Wheelsoon out for the first part of the season minimum, and the history of the other guys it could be very ugly. Literally a rookie and some #5's. If that's how it goes down, fuck Pace for letting a position of strength that he inherited go to hell on his watch.

Or, everybody could stay healthy, White turns out to be an all pro and WR turns into a team strength. Then I'll send Pace a nice apology.

mecha

Liked Posts:
We really shouldn't count 2014 as a healthy season, he played in all 16, but AJ and Marshall were pretty dinged up. He had 4 games with an average of 2.5 catches for 28 yards, basically trying to play decoy. The Bears were 2-2 in those 4 games. He finished 2014 with very good numbers but that just shows how great he can be when he is healthy. But after four seasons he has only had one healthy season, that's not enough. He needs a great and healthy 2016 to get that payday he's after.

My concern for this season is timing, with Wheelsoon out for the first part of the season minimum, and the history of the other guys it could be very ugly. Literally a rookie and some #5's. If that's how it goes down, fuck Pace for letting a position of strength that he inherited go to hell on his watch.

Or, everybody could stay healthy, White turns out to be an all pro and WR turns into a team strength. Then I'll send Pace a nice apology.

he also let Slauson go for some mysterious reason. the O-line is probably comprised of bigger scrubs than the receivers. ponder that. oh, and obligatory mention that he let Forte go too (for Omelet)

He's got an advantage over the other WRs. He's short enough to catch the ground balls that Jay likes to throw.

:lmao:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mariani is in the running, its just doubtful Mariani, Royal, Wilson, Braverman all make the team.

I think that group needs to be cut to 2, making Royal and Wilson very unsafe as well. I don't think either are locks at all with this many young guys. Royal needs to show something, show he is the pro and the other guys aren't on his level.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
His retuning is mediocre but he was great and clutch at receiver

I think that he is a good reliable punt returner. Not so much a kick-off returner. I also think that he has the confidence of Cutler which means a lot on this team. I expect him to play quite a bit this season.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I think that Mariani was pretty fast before his injury and hope that White retains his speed. That isn't a minor injury that they suffered.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hard to really speculate until camp. Not sold on Mariani making it though. He'll really have to stand out as a WR because he wasn't dynamic on special teams.

That is the problem with assessing returners. Pretty much all returners need a nice block at the point of the wedge to spring them. Our point of attack blocking stunk last season. Hopefully it improves this season so whoever returns punts and kick-offs has a decent chance to run the kick back.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Mariani will be lucky to make the team this year, do you watch the games?

Out of 22 catches, 19 first downs! That's pretty damn good. He also runs very precise routes and at the end of last season was Cutler's go to guy when he needed to keep a drive alive.